Re: [rootsradicals] Accessories?

  • Carl Ray
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2009
      Go with Cascadia dude!

      Carl

      On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM, dianedouglas8 <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:

      Hey Roots Radicals,

      After a very long wait, I hope to pick up my Big Dummy this evening from my LBS! Expect to see new pictures soon. Considering all the wet weather the East Cost has had over the last few days, I realized that I'd need a decent set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.

      What's everyone's favorite?

      I'm looking into PlanetBike's Cascadia (full length) or Hardcore (3/4 length) and the Serfas Sliders. I think SKS makes some as well.

      Since we're beyond election season, I've decided to go with off the shelf instead of making my own out of duraboard.

      Scott
      Washington, DC

      --
      Every vision born of earth is fleeting
      Every vision born of heaven is a blessing
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2009
        Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

        To update: I picked up my Smurf Chrome Big Dummy last evening after work. My LBS helped me to tune it to fit and I was off on my first ride back home. What a thrill bombing downhill in DC traffic! I got quite a few second looks at this odd contraption.

        I ended up purchasing the Planet Bike Cascadia fenders and managed to install the front one last night with a little difficulty. I love the disc brakes, but they make it harder to secure the fender stays. Using the accompanied post helps, but the extra distance required to clear the brakes really highlight the short tolerances wrt length of the fender stays. The rear fender install will also be complicated, and I'll give that a shot over the weekend. (If anyone has any good suggestions or tips on the rear install, please let me know.)

        I still have a lot of fine tuning to do on my Big Dummy before I'll be comfortable. The saddle needs treatment, the stoker bar needs to be cut/shortened, and the cork grips need to be shellacked and "glued" to the handlebars. I need to find another bell and light system (likely going with another Planet Bike Blaze combo). I also need to install reflective tape or get one of those safety warning triangles. The kids seat needs to be drilled to accept the Snap pieces and I've got to find a suitable set of seatbelts/five point harnesses.

        Does the tinkering ever stop?

        Scott

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Carl Ray <kwikfile@...> wrote:

        > Go with Cascadia dude!
        > Carl
        >
        > On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 9:18 AM, dianedouglas8
        > <diane.douglas8@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Hey Roots Radicals,
        > >
        > > After a very long wait, I hope to pick up my Big Dummy this evening from my
        > > LBS! Expect to see new pictures soon. Considering all the wet weather the
        > > East Cost has had over the last few days, I realized that I'd need a decent
        > > set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.
        > >
        > > What's everyone's favorite?
        > >
        > > I'm looking into PlanetBike's Cascadia (full length) or Hardcore (3/4
        > > length) and the Serfas Sliders. I think SKS makes some as well.
        > >
        > > Since we're beyond election season, I've decided to go with off the shelf
        > > instead of making my own out of duraboard.
        > >
        > > Scott
        > > Washington, DC
        > >

        > --
        > Every vision born of earth is fleeting
        > Every vision born of heaven is a blessing
        > For people, the sight of spring warms their hearts
        > For fish, the rhythm of the ocean is a blessing
        > The brilliant sun that shines in every heart.
        > For the heaven's earth and all creatures.
        > What a blessing!...
        > The heart can't wait to speak of this ecstasy.
        > The soul is kissing he earth, saying
        > Oh God, what a blessing...
        > --Rumi

      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2009
          Cascadia IMHO

          On Apr 30, 2009, at 9:57 PM, Carl Ray wrote:

          Go with Cascadia dude!

          Carl

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2009

            Does the tinkering ever stop?

            Nope. :D

            I'll snap some photos of my set up over lunch break and upload them re: the fenders.

            Also, I love my Ergon grips.  When the cork grips disintegrate, I'd suggest looking into those.

            Stoked you've got your rig, dude!

            Rick
          • beth hamon
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2009
              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:
              >...I realized that I'd need a decent set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.
              >
              > What's everyone's favorite?

              I'm quite happy with the basic Freddy "Hardcore" model, which I transferred over from an existing city bike. They're wide enough to allow me to run fatter Schwalbe Marathons, or even the fatter Fat Franks if I ever want to "upgrade".

              Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one truly wobbly moment.
              Still, I decided to swap in a lager gear cluster at work and going up the hill towards home was certainly MUCH easier.
              Beth
            • Connie Gordon
              Message 6 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                On the subject of fenders, what's good for a bike with 26" in back and 700 in front?  Do I have to get two different sets?

                Connie

                On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 8:52 AM, beth hamon <periwinklekog@...> wrote:

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "dianedouglas8" <diane.douglas8@...> wrote:
                >...I realized that I'd need a decent set of fenders on my new rig to keep everything dry and relatively clean.

                > What's everyone's favorite?

                I'm quite happy with the basic Freddy "Hardcore" model, which I transferred over from an existing city bike. They're wide enough to allow me to run fatter Schwalbe Marathons, or even the fatter Fat Franks if I ever want to "upgrade".

                Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one truly wobbly moment.
                Still, I decided to swap in a lager gear cluster at work and going up the hill towards home was certainly MUCH easier.
                Beth

              • jj
                Message 7 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                  Try hitting up your LBS for used stock.

                  Around here we have 4 shops in riding distance that hang on to old fenders, and you can most likely find a pair. You might have to buy new mounting hardware, but that should still put you in under the price of a single pair of new, much less than the price of a double set.

                  Also: keep in mind that the rear fender isn't seen, at least not that much. It can be ugly as sin as long as it does the job. Indeed, i had to customize part of mine to get it just *so*, removing rivets and such, and I just taped over the holes, both sides, with regular shipping tape. it just has to deflect water.

                  Let that crafty flag fly!

                  JJ

                  JJ

                  Message 8 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                    On 2009-05-02, at 10:52 AM, beth hamon wrote:
                    > Took the X out the other day, rode it all over town and had only one
                    > truly wobbly moment.

                    I am still baffled by your wobbles. I went and looked at your Flickr
                    stuff (Google suggests I search for "Periwinkle Kong", I think you
                    should consider it :-), and I'm baffled. You look normal, the bike
                    looks normal, why would it wobble so badly for you? Or are mountain-
                    bike (-derived) frames that much stiffer?

                    David
                  • bluemeun
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 2, 2009
                      Some of my favorite accessories are Knog lights because they don't fall off when you hit the potholes. Three planet bike lights have been lost to the potholes here in Milwaukee, zero knog lights for me.

                      Here's their site: http://www.knog.com.au/

                      Most bike shops are starting to get them in. I use two 3 LED ones and wrap them around the free radical.

                      Here's a link to the light: http://tinyurl.com/dxwylk

                      ~Carolyn

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 5, 2009
                        Carolyn,

                        I have never had any issues with my Planet Bike Light popping off due to a
                        bump in the road. I think it is the best strobe bike light I have ever
                        used.

                        One major factor, which might account for me never loosing my Planet Bike
                        Light, is I mount it sideways on my Big Dummy's stoker bar. I could
                        imagine the Planet Bike Light popping off when using only its belt clip
                        though. However, I am not using the belt clip, but rather the hardware
                        mount the light came with. That still enables me to disconnect the light
                        off the hardware mount very easily if I am ever carrying a passenger. That
                        would be the only situation I would really need to use the belt clip on
                        the light because otherwise the passenger would have a red light flashing
                        directly in front of them as well as be blocking the light from being seen
                        by drivers.

                        The rest of the time I really can not imagine any bumps in the road
                        causing the light to come off. Obviously a road bump would cause the bike
                        to bounce vertically, and with my Planet Bike Light mounted sideways the
                        forces involved with a pothole, etc. would not have an effect on the light
                        mount. The only time I figure the light could experience enough horizontal
                        g-forces alone to POSSIBLY cause the light to disconnect from its hardware
                        mount would be some kind of side-impact or fall-over crash, but I would
                        say there are probably other concerns to worry about in those
                        circumstances.

                        I have had my bike fall over a few times (usually due to overloading one
                        side, or letting my grip slip when walking the bike around, etc.), and my
                        Planet Bike Light has never un-clipped from the hardware mount. The worst
                        thing that ever happened was the impact caused the light mount to slightly
                        rotate left or right from it's tightened "tilt" mount. Nothing ever broke
                        or fell off. I just "tilted" the light back to its original position.

                        Ride safe,