OT: Cross-training

  • Phil GE
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2009
      This is a short story of another recent "find" of a product that's been useful to me as a bike rider, though it's far from being a bike related product. This is not meant to be Spam and please feel free to delete it if you find it so.A long while ago, I ran across Si-boards as a step beyond my home-made "bongo board" of 1" x 12" x 30" shelf board and a 4" OD x 18" chunk of PVC pipe. I found riding my "bongo board" helpful for improving my balance and core strength. I introduced our kids to the board and they've taken to them quickly (using smaller diameter pipes and other board shapes. I also felt constrained by the limits of the pipe. This is where Si-boards come in. They're a patented board w/oval shaped railing for riding/balancing on a solid urethane ball. We recently bought their smallest board to help my daughter (who has Down Syndrome) develop greater balance and core strength. We also purchased a DIY kit and I assembled my own adult sized beginner's board. It's been a wild/fun way of getting great balance and muscle strengthening in a low-impact way for our daughter. I've also found it great for improving my biking stamina and ability to sprint harder when in traffic (I've also never had charlie-horses in the front of my shins before - gotta stretch!). This really works on my ankle strength like no other exercise I've used to date.So, if you're still reading, check out the Si-boards site. Especially check out the videos there for a sense of what it's like. Riding it in person is something very unique. Here's a photo of me riding the "bongo board" last year.
      peace, -Phil