Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Rain Gear ( was Re: Howdy from Chicago)

  • TheJonesgal@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
      Thanks for the headlight info and seconding the goretex.
      I really do need a brighter light so I'll look for one.

      Gerry
    • Jeff Youngstrom
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
        I've got a suspension fork with no fender mounts too (it does have a
        screw at the arch). I've had good luck with just using a couple of
        zip-ties to attach the fender stays. Front fender makes a HUGE
        difference in the wet.

        On 2/7/06, Gauk <akiragauk@...> wrote:
        > I second the Gore-Tex. I live a measely 2 miles away, so I wear my
        > (work) steel toes as they're both waterproof and wicking. The soles
        > are stiffer than sneakers, too. Wool socks are a must if it gets truly
        > cold. I've got a fender on the back, but nothing on the front as there
        > are no fender mounts. Still debating half-fender vs. new fork. I've
        > got a Bright, BRIGHT headlight - Busch & Müller Ixon 1 watt LED (14
        > Lumen for 6 hours). http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp
        > --Gauk, akiragauk@...
      • Mike Leger
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
          After ~10 years of riding in Gore-Tex jacket and pants from Nashbar/Saucony, I've decided that Gore-Tex is not the preferred material for rain/snow riding for me. It's not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. My shoulders get wet after ½ hour in a steady rain. It is a good windbreaker, holding up in temps well below 0F. The pants also begin to soak through in the thighs after ½ hour. It's fairly stiff compared to some other fabrics. It requires special washing--powder only, no softener, and you will be asked to wash the clothes 3 times in succession if you have a problem with its waterproof-ness. I've recently purchased a Burley Rain Rider jacket. More supple material, but it's not been subjected to harsh conditions yet. It has provided good windbreaker service.

          Mike
          X/SM rider in Madison, WI
          (Xtracycle/Stokemonkey)

          Thanks for the headlight info and seconding the goretex.
          I really do need a brighter light so I'll look for one.

          Gerry

          ride to believe.

          Konjac root
          Roots blower