lowest rear gear

  • Geoff Cisler
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
      WOW! in light on the outpouring of response to Abigail about her pedal, here's hoping someone can help me out too. I've asked the LBS about this, and they weren't sure.

      I just finished my build of my Xtracycle, and everything seems to be working except for getting to the lowest (largest) gear on the rear derailler. I have a 7 speed freewheel, and not sure what brand of derailler, using the Rollamajig to tighten the curve. The problem is not the low gear limit stop screw, since when i shift low, i can manually nudge the derailler to go into the lowest gear. It is also not the derailler spring, and that pulls in in the direction I want it to go. The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.

      Any clue if this is the problem?
      Any clue how to solve it?

      Thanks in advance for the help!

      Geoff
      Boston, MA
      jpbikresearch.com
    • watrout
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Cisler" <gcisler@...> wrote:

        > WOW! in light on the outpouring of response to Abigail about her pedal, here's hoping someone can help me out too. I've asked the LBS about this, and they weren't sure.
        >
        > I just finished my build of my Xtracycle, and everything seems to be working except for getting to the lowest (largest) gear on the rear derailler. I have a 7 speed freewheel, and not sure what brand of derailler, using the Rollamajig to tighten the curve. The problem is not the low gear limit stop screw, since when i shift low, i can manually nudge the derailler to go into the lowest gear. It is also not the derailler spring, and that pulls in in the direction I want it to go. The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.
        >
        > Any clue if this is the problem?
        > Any clue how to solve it?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for the help!
        >
        > Geoff
        > Boston, MA
        > jpbikresearch.com

        I bought an extra-stiff rear der spring for my X. I actually haven't installed it yet so I can't say how well it works but I found it at a LBS, so they shouldn't be that hard to find. I've also seen (I think here) about people installing a second spring attached to the cage. If cable tension is your problem one of these options might help. Also check your rear der tension adjuster.
      • Bruno Santos
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
          Hi Geoff,

          On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 11:39 +0000, Geoff Cisler wrote:
          > The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the
          > shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem
          > to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.

          Have you tried to unscrew the adjustment barrel(s) or retighten the
          cable?

          http://bicycletutor.com/adjust-rear-derailleur/

          Cheers,
          Bruno

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
            Perhaps, one of the outer cable housings is messing you up. If you
            are using the newer style ("JagWire" is one brand) derailer housings
            that is made of a linear arrangement of wires, perhaps one of the ends
            needs a ferrule, otherwise the wires can get pushed out and
            interfere. Or, if it is old-style (like a brake cable) then maybe it
            was clipped in a way that crimped it so it pinches the inner cable.

            Either of these would add lotsa friction.

            Because of the long cable runs, simple grease (if you grease your
            cables) can also slow down your shifts (there are good reasons to
            grease cables in Boston if you ride in the winter).

            Or have these already been considered? (These are problems that have
            actually happened to me or bikes that I have worked on.)

          • ama3655@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
              Geoff -

              I'm surprised that a bike shop wasn't all over this one. You should have some nice shops in Beantown.

              If you are having trouble getting into your lowest (largest diameter) cog in the rear then the spring may not be the issue. Your cable might need to be shortened just a bit. Try it first with the adjuster at the rear derailleur, or the shifter if it has an adjuster. If these are both adjusted out as far as they will go then adjust them back to center and shorten up the cable a bit using the cable clamp on the derailleur. Unless you have one of Shimano's low normal derailleurs. If it's low normal then disregard this step, it's backwards.

              Check to see that you've got the correct shifter to go with the cassette or freewheel and derailleur. There could be many compatibility issues here. Compatible brands and models within a brand. How many speeds? You could have a 5 speed shifter with a 9 speed derailleur or something, and they can all be Shimano. The chain could also be mismatched.

              If your cables or housings are in bad shape replace them. Jagwire (or your favorite) housings and stainless cables, no lube. It's probably worth doing this annually if you ride the bike in bad weather, near the ocean, or just want things to work really well. If your cables and housings are old I'd probably do this first. Make sure to use the ferrules and seals where appropriate.

              If all this has already been tried and doesn't help then let us know the brand and model number of your shifter, derailleur, chain, and cassette/hub or hub and freewheel. We can dig deeper.

              FatRob

              In a message dated 4/2/2009 7:27:21 A.M. Central Daylight Time, watrout@... writes:

              > WOW! in light on the outpouring of response to Abigail about her pedal, here's hoping someone can help me out too. I've asked the LBS about this, and they weren't sure.
              >
              > I just finished my build of my Xtracycle, and everything seems to be working except for getting to the lowest (largest) gear on the rear derailler. I have a 7 speed freewheel, and not sure what brand of derailler, using the Rollamajig to tighten the curve. The problem is not the low gear limit stop screw, since when i shift low, i can manually nudge the derailler to go into the lowest gear. It is also not the derailler spring, and that pulls in in the direction I want it to go. The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.
              >
              > Any clue if this is the problem?
              > Any clue how to solve it?
              >
              > Thanks in advance for the help!
              >
              > Geoff
              > Boston, MA
              > jpbikresearch. com

              Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
            • watrout
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
                Geoff,
                I got to looking at my previous reply and I'm not sure what I was thinking - maybe I was still sleeping when I wrote it - but my previous advice with the heavy spring would probably not supply any remedy to your particular issue, and in fact would probably make it worse if anything. I appologize for giving advice without thinking about what I was saying. That said, I agree with FatRob's advice - sounds like it could be a compatability issue.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "watrout" <watrout@...> wrote:

                > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Cisler" <gcisler@> wrote:
                > >
                > > WOW! in light on the outpouring of response to Abigail about her pedal, here's hoping someone can help me out too. I've asked the LBS about this, and they weren't sure.
                > >
                > > I just finished my build of my Xtracycle, and everything seems to be working except for getting to the lowest (largest) gear on the rear derailler. I have a 7 speed freewheel, and not sure what brand of derailler, using the Rollamajig to tighten the curve. The problem is not the low gear limit stop screw, since when i shift low, i can manually nudge the derailler to go into the lowest gear. It is also not the derailler spring, and that pulls in in the direction I want it to go. The problem seems to be not being able to get enough tension on the shifting cable (at least that's what the LBS guy thought, and I seem to agree), but I have no idea how to solve it.
                > >
                > > Any clue if this is the problem?
                > > Any clue how to solve it?
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for the help!
                > >
                > > Geoff
                > > Boston, MA
                > > jpbikresearch.com
                > >

                > I bought an extra-stiff rear der spring for my X. I actually haven't installed it yet so I can't say how well it works but I found it at a LBS, so they shouldn't be that hard to find. I've also seen (I think here) about people installing a second spring attached to the cage. If cable tension is your problem one of these options might help. Also check your rear der tension adjuster.

              • Carl Ray
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 2, 2009
                  Again - Sheldon Brown:

                  Picture of the Legend! http://www.velonews.com/photo/71803 - Obey!

                  --
                  Carl

                  http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                  "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                  Kent Peterson
                  http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

                • Geoff Cisler
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2009
                    Okay, so here's a bit more information:

                    I have the Silver bar end friction shifters from Rivendell, all new cable and housing everywhere and a 80s/90s Suntour XCR (i think?) derailer. I have a 7-speed cassette (not sure the range).

                    I have a feeling that it's the cable tension and will try tightening the cable either by the barrel adjuster or by unscrewing and tightening the cable. The LBS (Bikes Not Bombs) thought it might be an xtracycle issues due to the length of the cable. He also thought that the housing between the chainstay brazeon and the Rollamajig was too stright, but replacing what I had with a longer piece of housing did nothing either.

                    I'll play around with the tension some more and let y'all know if that helps. I can't make it too tight otherwise it'll never make it down to the highest (small diameter) cog. Based on some of the hilly terrain I'm going on, maybe I'll just give that up to get my granny gear! heh!

                    thanks again,
                    Geoff