Re: [rootsradicals] newbie pedal change?

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
      On 2009-04-01, at 8:30 PM, Tone wrote:
      > While, I am not personally familiar with using bees wax
      > to “lube” up pedal threads before attaching them, I can not see why
      > it would not be effective. I have always understood the use of some
      > basic axle grease or something similar (but not just chain lubricant
      > or whatever), smeared lightly around threading (of pedals and other
      > parts) is good to keep the connecting parts from bonding over time.

      I got it from my dad, years ago. I found out, years later, that it is
      regarded as a "super lubricant" for threading in the same class as
      moly disulfide, and that if you use it, you're supposed to derate
      torque settings by something like 10% (can't find the original
      reference for that number). It melts under torque, but is solid at
      reasonable temperatures, so it holds the threads and keeps moisture out.

      The main reason I use it is that it stops things from rattling loose.
      I did once come upon someone on the local bike path, who, on her shiny
      new bike with greased pedal threads, had one pedal fall off, and the
      other half unscrewed. Falling off like that tears out the last little
      bit of threads, and it was not fun getting it back together.

      David
    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
        http://bicycletutor.com/replace-pedals/

        Great  video Tutorial - Left pedal has reverse thread!

        Carl

        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
        break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
        wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
        don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
        can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
        and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
        crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?

        Thanks!

        Abigail
        currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

        "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

        Kent Peterson
        http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

      • Fred K. Aron
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
          Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
          I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
          Fred

          We who are always ready when zombies finally come.

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:
              Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
              I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
              Fred

              I went through this process a couple of weeks ago, and the Xtracycle specific Rocky Mounts rack is the only one I found that costs less than $300.  There are some tandem-specific carriers (read: overbuilt) that will work, and one Xtra-specific trailer hitch mount that costs in excess of $700.

              The Rocky Mountain is solid and stable, and while the sheet metal flexes a bit under the weight, it will hold.  I have a disc brake caliper on the front that touched the side of the channel, but since it is made out of sheet metal, it gave enough to let the fork seat properly.  My rear tire was a 2.3" knobby which just barely entered the channel in the rear, so I threw a strap over the top tube of the bike to make sure it didn't move.   I carried my Big Dummy about 500 miles round trip last weekend through rain, wind, sleet and snow, and it never budged.  I drive a sedan, so getting the bike on top of the car wasn't too difficult.  If you have a higher roof line, you'd be wise to enlist some help.

              Your standard bike rack, be it roof or hitch mount, just isn't going to work.  You may be able to rig up something custom with a fork mount and a cargo platform (hitch-mount or pickup bed), but be aware that unless you drive vehicle designed by AM General, your bicycle is probably wider than your car.

            • Carl Ray