Re: [rootsradicals] newbie pedal change?

  • ama3655@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
      In a message dated 4/1/2009 5:19:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jj@... writes:

      AASHTA

      JJ
      Awesome guy, and a neat sticker. I'd love to score a few of them.
      FatRob

      Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
    • Andrew Kreps
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM, <ama3655@...> wrote:
        Awesome guy, and a neat sticker. I'd love to score a few of them.
        FatRob

        I found an address for them, right here in Portland:

        You know what I know.

      • ama3655@aol.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
          In a message dated 4/1/2009 6:00:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time, andrew.kreps@... writes:
          I found an address for them, right here in Portland:

          You know what I know.
          Thanks! I sent them an email, we'll see what happens. Maybe I need to visit Portland to pick them up...that's a lot of peanut butter sandwiches from Alabama.

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009

            Abigail,

                        I realize you already got your pedals off. That is great! I also think it is awesome that so many of our friendly RootsRadical community quickly stepped up to offer a LOT of terrific advice to help you out.

                        While, I am not personally familiar with using bees wax to “lube” up pedal threads before attaching them, I can not see why it would not be effective. I have always understood the use of some basic axle grease or something similar (but not just chain lubricant or whatever), smeared lightly around threading (of pedals and other parts) is good to keep the connecting parts from bonding over time.

                        I also do not use a repair stand, when getting pedals off. Generally I use a good pedal wrench (Pedro’s in my case) and I offset the wrench from the crank arm by a few degrees and squeeze together, which is what a couple of people already suggested. However…

            And everyone,

                        …There are a couple of other tricks I found to be effective when you really have to put-the-hurt-on your pedals to get them off, and no one seemed to bring it up so I will share them with everyone.

                        When your pedals are super bonded and nothing seems to be working, which was the case with me a few times back when I was messengering in all weather conditions, I figured some things out. First off, try spraying the pedal threading areas with a generous soaking of WD40. Wipe the area clean as much as possible, then spray it all over again with another healthy dose of WD40. After you spray a second time, let the WD40 soak in for a couple of hours, then try your luck at detaching the pedal.

                        If that does not work, then move on to the ultimate pedal removing tactic I have in my arsenal. Back when I was a messenger, I usually carried 2” wide double-sided industrial Velcro straps, which I used as cargo tie-downs. Well, I found that if I used a strap or two to tightly wrap one crank-arm into a fixed position alongside one of the chain-stays, then that would naturally keep the crank arm on the other side of the bike in a solid orientation pointing forward. With that being the case, you can attach your pedal wrench to the forward-pointing pedal, then with both tires firmly on the ground, you can actually step or even stomp down on the handle of your pedal wrench while holding the bike firmly in place. Just MAKE SURE you are stomping down in the direction of the pedal’s threading!!!! Once I had to bounce up a down a few times with all my weight on the pedal wrench to free up a pedal! If that tactic does not work, then I think the only alternative would be to either sacrifice your crank arms or drill out your pedals. Those would have to be some major STUCK pedals though! J

                        Ride safe everyone… and try not to hurt yourselves TOO MUCH when removing your old pedals…

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
              On 2009-04-01, at 8:30 PM, Tone wrote:
              > While, I am not personally familiar with using bees wax
              > to “lube” up pedal threads before attaching them, I can not see why
              > it would not be effective. I have always understood the use of some
              > basic axle grease or something similar (but not just chain lubricant
              > or whatever), smeared lightly around threading (of pedals and other
              > parts) is good to keep the connecting parts from bonding over time.

              I got it from my dad, years ago. I found out, years later, that it is
              regarded as a "super lubricant" for threading in the same class as
              moly disulfide, and that if you use it, you're supposed to derate
              torque settings by something like 10% (can't find the original
              reference for that number). It melts under torque, but is solid at
              reasonable temperatures, so it holds the threads and keeps moisture out.

              The main reason I use it is that it stops things from rattling loose.
              I did once come upon someone on the local bike path, who, on her shiny
              new bike with greased pedal threads, had one pedal fall off, and the
              other half unscrewed. Falling off like that tears out the last little
              bit of threads, and it was not fun getting it back together.

              David
            • Carl Ray
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                http://bicycletutor.com/replace-pedals/

                Great  video Tutorial - Left pedal has reverse thread!

                Carl

                On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

                Hi All,

                I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
                break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
                wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
                don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
                can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
                and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
                crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?

                Thanks!

                Abigail
                currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

                --
                Carl

                http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                Kent Peterson
                http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

              • Fred K. Aron
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                  Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
                  I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
                  Fred

                  We who are always ready when zombies finally come.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:
                      Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
                      I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
                      Fred

                      I went through this process a couple of weeks ago, and the Xtracycle specific Rocky Mounts rack is the only one I found that costs less than $300.  There are some tandem-specific carriers (read: overbuilt) that will work, and one Xtra-specific trailer hitch mount that costs in excess of $700.

                      The Rocky Mountain is solid and stable, and while the sheet metal flexes a bit under the weight, it will hold.  I have a disc brake caliper on the front that touched the side of the channel, but since it is made out of sheet metal, it gave enough to let the fork seat properly.  My rear tire was a 2.3" knobby which just barely entered the channel in the rear, so I threw a strap over the top tube of the bike to make sure it didn't move.   I carried my Big Dummy about 500 miles round trip last weekend through rain, wind, sleet and snow, and it never budged.  I drive a sedan, so getting the bike on top of the car wasn't too difficult.  If you have a higher roof line, you'd be wise to enlist some help.

                      Your standard bike rack, be it roof or hitch mount, just isn't going to work.  You may be able to rig up something custom with a fork mount and a cargo platform (hitch-mount or pickup bed), but be aware that unless you drive vehicle designed by AM General, your bicycle is probably wider than your car.

                    • Carl Ray