Re: [rootsradicals] newbie pedal change?

  • Abigail vR
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
      Yes, I'm remembering that. When I push the wrench towards the rear of
      the bike the whole crank turns backwards unless I hold it, but then I
      don't have hands to steady the bike, that's my problem. My husband
      (and his stronger arms) tried it too and had the same trouble. I feel
      like we're missing something, or we need to go find a bike stand.

      Abigail

      On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Jeff Snavely wrote:

      > Yes, it should be possible.
      >
      > Are you remembering that the left pedal is reverse threaded? Turn
      > right to remove.
      >

      > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Abigail vR
      > <abigailvr@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
      > break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
      > wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
      > don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
      > can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
      > and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
      > crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Abigail
      > currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

    • Jeff Snavely
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
        How about sitting on the bike and using your foot on the right crank to brace. I can't picture how I actually do it. I seem to remember that changing the position of the wrench helps things.

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009

          The end of the wrench needs to be close to the crank axle.
          That minimizes the torque on the crank.

          Also, when you reassemble, use some wax (I use beeswax, probably any
          will do) on the threads. You want them tight, but not so tight that
          you strip the aluminum threads on the crank arm, and the beeswax will
          both lubricate when tightening and prevent accidental loosening later.

        • ama3655@aol.com
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
            Abigail -

            Position the pedal wrench such that it's roughly aligned with the crank arm. Use the longest wrench you can find. Then when you push on the wrench things will get easier to hold. If the pedals have been over tightened or otherwise stuck in place somehow you might need to give the wrench a sharp rap with a soft hammer. As noted, righty tighty lefty loosy only works on the right side here.

            Grease the threads of the new pedals and don't tighten them too tight, the job will be easier next time.

            FatRob

            In a message dated 4/1/2009 3:32:33 P.M. Central Daylight Time, abigailvr@... writes:
            Hi All,

            I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
            break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
            wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
            don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
            can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
            and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
            crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?

            Thanks!

            Abigail
            currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

            Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
          • JJ Ark
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
              as long as you have the correct pedal direction ( left is reversed,) then I rap the wrench with a rubber mallet, or even a bit of wood. (think from a height of 6" or so) Most likely its jammed in tight (which is good) and just needs a *bit* of shock to knock the threads free. I sometimes use metal to strike it (a 14mm wrench rapping a15mm for example) but that runs the risk of shattering the tools you are using, so be VERY careful doing so. If you still can't get it off, take to the LBS and explain what you are trying to do...they should be able to loosen them for you. Around here it would be free (bing, bing) but perhaps not at your LBS.

              thereexists a corrosion that can happen between dissimilar metals (the name escapes me) so over time you can find some interesting bonding that takes place between pedal threads (steel) and the threads on lightweight aluminum cranks, but that probably isn't the case here.

              Don't forget to use a good grease for the threads on the new pedal threads and tighten well.

              JJ

              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

              Yes, I'm remembering that. When I push the wrench towards the rear of
              the bike the whole crank turns backwards unless I hold it, but then I
              don't have hands to steady the bike, that's my problem. My husband
              (and his stronger arms) tried it too and had the same trouble. I feel
              like we're missing something, or we need to go find a bike stand.

              Abigail

              On Apr 1, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Jeff Snavely wrote:

              > Yes, it should be possible.
              >
              > Are you remembering that the left pedal is reverse threaded? Turn
              > right to remove.
              >

              > On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Abigail vR
              > <abigailvr@sbcglobal .net> wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
              > break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
              > wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
              > don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
              > can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
              > and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
              > crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?
              >
              > Thanks!
              >
              > Abigail
              > currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

              JJ Ark

              Charlie: You know, little girl? You freak me the hell out. On the outside, you're just as pretty as a picture. But on the inside, you're a --
              Cameron: Hyper-alloy combat chassis.
              Charlie: Is that a complicated way of saying 'robot'?
              Cameron: Cybernetic organism. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.
              Charlie: Okay. Scary robot.
              --Sarah Connor Chronicles, 2008

            • Abigail vR
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                Thanks for all the tips! The key seemed to be laying it down so I
                could get leverage without having to also balance the bike (I have no
                bike stand). I used a mallet to knock it free and some beeswax on the
                threads of the new pedals.

                Now my Townie-X has fancy metal pedals but I think I did something to
                the derailleur in this process. (Sigh) Off to look for information on
                adjusting that!

                Abigail

              • Mark Garvey
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                  I do not use a bike stand or turn the bike upside down anyway usually.  Put the pedal wrench on the flats so that  it is a few degrees off from the crank arm, like 10-15 degrees.  then put your hand around the two and SQUEEZE them together so that the pedal (remember WHICH say the pedal is threaded now!)  and once you break it free, you should be able to spin it off easily.  I use a Box/open wrench in the proper size (don't ask me what it IS, because I don't remember) and it seems to work just fine!

                  Papa Mark

                  On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:
                  Hi All,

                  I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
                  break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
                  wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
                  don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
                  can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
                  and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
                  crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?

                  Thanks!

                  Abigail
                  currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

                  <*> Your email settings:
                     Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                     (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  --
                  "I just like to blow things up!"

                  Papa Balloon
                • JJ Ark
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                    15mm on most pedals. I had a kids pair that were 14 once...

                    maybe a bike shop worker has other input?

                    jj

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/

                       http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/rootsradic als/join

                       mailto:rootsradicals- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                       mailto:rootsradicals- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                       http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                    --
                    "I just like to blow things up!"

                    Papa Balloon

                    JJ Ark

                    "We used to say if a frog had side pockets, he'd carry a handgun." - Dan Rather, Election Night, 2004

                  • Andrew Kreps
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

                      Now my Townie-X has fancy metal pedals but I think I did something to
                      the derailleur in this process. (Sigh) Off to look for information on
                      adjusting that!

                      Abigail

                      Sheldon Brown is my one-stop shop for that type of information.  If you start there, your understanding should grow measurably.

                    • JJ Ark
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                        AASHTA

                        JJ

                        On Apr 1, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

                        On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:37 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@sbcglobal .net> wrote:

                        Now my Townie-X has fancy metal pedals but I think I did something to
                        the derailleur in this process. (Sigh) Off to look for information on
                        adjusting that!

                        Abigail

                        Sheldon Brown is my one-stop shop for that type of information.  If you start there, your understanding should grow measurably.

                        JJ Ark

                        "He's got a TOWEL! "  --Vogon, THGTTG, 2005

                      • ama3655@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                          In a message dated 4/1/2009 4:19:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jj@... writes:
                          thereexists a corrosion that can happen between dissimilar metals (the name escapes me
                          That would be galvanic corrosion. Interesting stuff, can really eat your lunch if you aren't careful. That's what typically welds aluminum seatposts or stems into old steel frames. It's not really permanent, someday the whole bike will corrode away into it's more basic elements.
                          FatRob

                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                            In a message dated 4/1/2009 5:19:34 P.M. Central Daylight Time, jj@... writes:

                            AASHTA

                            JJ
                            Awesome guy, and a neat sticker. I'd love to score a few of them.
                            FatRob

                            Message 13 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                              On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 3:51 PM, <ama3655@...> wrote:
                              Awesome guy, and a neat sticker. I'd love to score a few of them.
                              FatRob

                              I found an address for them, right here in Portland:

                              You know what I know.

                            • ama3655@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                                In a message dated 4/1/2009 6:00:07 P.M. Central Daylight Time, andrew.kreps@... writes:
                                I found an address for them, right here in Portland:

                                You know what I know.
                                Thanks! I sent them an email, we'll see what happens. Maybe I need to visit Portland to pick them up...that's a lot of peanut butter sandwiches from Alabama.
                                FatRob

                                Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009

                                  Abigail,

                                              I realize you already got your pedals off. That is great! I also think it is awesome that so many of our friendly RootsRadical community quickly stepped up to offer a LOT of terrific advice to help you out.

                                              While, I am not personally familiar with using bees wax to “lube” up pedal threads before attaching them, I can not see why it would not be effective. I have always understood the use of some basic axle grease or something similar (but not just chain lubricant or whatever), smeared lightly around threading (of pedals and other parts) is good to keep the connecting parts from bonding over time.

                                              I also do not use a repair stand, when getting pedals off. Generally I use a good pedal wrench (Pedro’s in my case) and I offset the wrench from the crank arm by a few degrees and squeeze together, which is what a couple of people already suggested. However…

                                  And everyone,

                                              …There are a couple of other tricks I found to be effective when you really have to put-the-hurt-on your pedals to get them off, and no one seemed to bring it up so I will share them with everyone.

                                              When your pedals are super bonded and nothing seems to be working, which was the case with me a few times back when I was messengering in all weather conditions, I figured some things out. First off, try spraying the pedal threading areas with a generous soaking of WD40. Wipe the area clean as much as possible, then spray it all over again with another healthy dose of WD40. After you spray a second time, let the WD40 soak in for a couple of hours, then try your luck at detaching the pedal.

                                              If that does not work, then move on to the ultimate pedal removing tactic I have in my arsenal. Back when I was a messenger, I usually carried 2” wide double-sided industrial Velcro straps, which I used as cargo tie-downs. Well, I found that if I used a strap or two to tightly wrap one crank-arm into a fixed position alongside one of the chain-stays, then that would naturally keep the crank arm on the other side of the bike in a solid orientation pointing forward. With that being the case, you can attach your pedal wrench to the forward-pointing pedal, then with both tires firmly on the ground, you can actually step or even stomp down on the handle of your pedal wrench while holding the bike firmly in place. Just MAKE SURE you are stomping down in the direction of the pedal’s threading!!!! Once I had to bounce up a down a few times with all my weight on the pedal wrench to free up a pedal! If that tactic does not work, then I think the only alternative would be to either sacrifice your crank arms or drill out your pedals. Those would have to be some major STUCK pedals though! J

                                              Ride safe everyone… and try not to hurt yourselves TOO MUCH when removing your old pedals…

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                                    On 2009-04-01, at 8:30 PM, Tone wrote:
                                    > While, I am not personally familiar with using bees wax
                                    > to “lube” up pedal threads before attaching them, I can not see why
                                    > it would not be effective. I have always understood the use of some
                                    > basic axle grease or something similar (but not just chain lubricant
                                    > or whatever), smeared lightly around threading (of pedals and other
                                    > parts) is good to keep the connecting parts from bonding over time.

                                    I got it from my dad, years ago. I found out, years later, that it is
                                    regarded as a "super lubricant" for threading in the same class as
                                    moly disulfide, and that if you use it, you're supposed to derate
                                    torque settings by something like 10% (can't find the original
                                    reference for that number). It melts under torque, but is solid at
                                    reasonable temperatures, so it holds the threads and keeps moisture out.

                                    The main reason I use it is that it stops things from rattling loose.
                                    I did once come upon someone on the local bike path, who, on her shiny
                                    new bike with greased pedal threads, had one pedal fall off, and the
                                    other half unscrewed. Falling off like that tears out the last little
                                    bit of threads, and it was not fun getting it back together.

                                    David
                                  • Carl Ray
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                                      http://bicycletutor.com/replace-pedals/

                                      Great  video Tutorial - Left pedal has reverse thread!

                                      Carl

                                      On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 1:31 PM, Abigail vR <abigailvr@...> wrote:

                                      Hi All,

                                      I have an Xtracycle built on a step-through Townie and I managed to
                                      break one of the pedals, so I got some new (metal!) ones and a pedal
                                      wrench but I'm totally stuck on switching them. The problem is that I
                                      don't own a repair stand and my bike has a childseat on it, so I
                                      can't turn it upside down. Is it humanly possible to steady the bike
                                      and provide enough leverage to remove the pedal while bracing the
                                      crank so it doesn't turn, or am I doing something wrong?

                                      Thanks!

                                      Abigail
                                      currently bikeless, and sad, in CA.

                                      --
                                      Carl

                                      http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                                      "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                                      Kent Peterson
                                      http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

                                    • Fred K. Aron
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 1, 2009
                                        Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
                                        I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
                                        Fred

                                        We who are always ready when zombies finally come.

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 2, 2009
                                            On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 8:43 PM, Fred K. Aron <inluvwithsara@...> wrote:
                                            Other than the obvious, riding it, what methods have y'all found for mounting your Xtracycle/BigDummy to your car?
                                            I know there is a roof rack made by Rocky Mounts that works...any other options?
                                            Fred

                                            I went through this process a couple of weeks ago, and the Xtracycle specific Rocky Mounts rack is the only one I found that costs less than $300.  There are some tandem-specific carriers (read: overbuilt) that will work, and one Xtra-specific trailer hitch mount that costs in excess of $700.

                                            The Rocky Mountain is solid and stable, and while the sheet metal flexes a bit under the weight, it will hold.  I have a disc brake caliper on the front that touched the side of the channel, but since it is made out of sheet metal, it gave enough to let the fork seat properly.  My rear tire was a 2.3" knobby which just barely entered the channel in the rear, so I threw a strap over the top tube of the bike to make sure it didn't move.   I carried my Big Dummy about 500 miles round trip last weekend through rain, wind, sleet and snow, and it never budged.  I drive a sedan, so getting the bike on top of the car wasn't too difficult.  If you have a higher roof line, you'd be wise to enlist some help.

                                            Your standard bike rack, be it roof or hitch mount, just isn't going to work.  You may be able to rig up something custom with a fork mount and a cargo platform (hitch-mount or pickup bed), but be aware that unless you drive vehicle designed by AM General, your bicycle is probably wider than your car.

                                          • Carl Ray