Re: [rootsradicals] Kickback carpet problem

  • Rick Pickett
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
      David Dannenberg brought this same issue to our attention a couple weeks ago.  We're in the process of getting some stainless steel plates for mounting to the Big Dummy boom tube where the KickBack contacts the frame to help disperse the load and avoid further scratching/denting.

      We'll be mailing out these plates to KickBack owners who purchased the Big Dummy version.  Sorry for the inconvenience and any damage that you may have incurred.

      To protect your frame in the mean time, I'd go the cork route or other suitable dense material.  Wrap it around the KB contact area, allowing the material to extend past the contact area on both ends.  Then, zip tie the ends to the boom tube.  That should help protect it for now.

      Cheers,
      Rick

      On Mar 30, 2009, at 11:29 AM, JJ Ark wrote:

      Vacuum forming a bit of carpet to the rough curve for a few days (to let it keep it's shape)

      then Contact cement?

      you could also wrap some rubber inner tube tire around the spot (secure with contact cement, again.)

      Just a few thoughts.

      jj

      On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:

      All,

      I've had a Kickback on my Big Dummy for a month now, and I have completely worn out the piece of carpet that came with it to cushion it against the frame.  The carpet slid back slowly and wore through to the point where the kickback has taken enough paint off to see the bare frame.

      What can I do that would be a longer-term solution?  I'm definitely not going to replace carpet swatches once a month.  I'd think about super-gluing a swatch on there, but then if it wore through again, I'd have a heck of a time replacing it.  I have some plast-i-dip spray, and I may try applying it to the Kickback.  Are there any other ideas out there?

      JJ Ark

      "If you're just operating by habit, then you're not really living. " -- Andre. My Dinner with Andre

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
        Two more suggestions:

        cork/foam handlebar tape.

        and 2242 Electrical tape. It's thick and gummy.

        or maybe both -- 2242 underneath, cork on top of that.

        I've got both of these already on my FreeRadical tubes where they get
        rubbed and/or dinged by the FreeLoaders and the chain.

        David
      • Joe Kisley
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
          Thanks Rick!!!

          I've noticed the 3 week old carpet on my KB slipping also. Any idea when the stainless steel plates will be shipping. I have a piece of plastic zip-tied to the boom tube for now, after seeing the pics of the dented one a couple weeks ago.

          Joe Kisley
          641-832-8295
          http://ninemileskid.blogspot.com/
          josephkisley@...

          On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Andrew Kreps
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
            On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:
            David Dannenberg brought this same issue to our attention a couple weeks ago.  We're in the process of getting some stainless steel plates for mounting to the Big Dummy boom tube where the KickBack contacts the frame to help disperse the load and avoid further scratching/denting.

            Nice, I'm glad you guys are on top of it.  In the meantime, I'm going at the very least tie a length of inner tube onto the frame at the contact point to avoid any further cuts.  Thanks to everyone for the ideas.  I'll check around the garage and kitchen when I get home to see what I can come up with.
          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
              They're in final production stage in Taiwan right now, we're going to try and AirShip a number of them so we don't have to wait for the container to motor over.

              I'm rocking' the prototype right now and it's doing a fine job and hasn't fallen off once, and I bang my Dummster around.

              Rick

              josephkisley@ gmail.com

              On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@ mac.com> wrote:

[...]

            • Philip Chase
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 30, 2009
                You might want to try polymer clay. My kids have this stuff in their art supplies--I think the brand we use is Sculpey. You mold it like like clay and bake it for about 20 minutes on moderate heat in the oven. If you don't cook it too much the resulting product is firm but pliable.

                I used some of this stuff to make a handlebar-to-flashlight adapter for my wife. He handles bars have no right angles so I need something very custom. I rolled a ball of polymer clay, placed it on the bar, squished the flash light into it while aiming the light straight forward, then shaped it to conform nicely to the two. I carefully pulled the clay free of the bars and light, baked it and have the perfect adapter. Wrap some double sides hook and loop tape around the whole thing and it stays on and properly aligned.

                I think you could do the same with the kick back. I have a BD with a kick back and I know the problem of which you speak. I pulled whole thing off today and the carpet is walking after just a month of service. I'm not sure of the clay would be strong enough to not get cut in two, but it will conform nicely to the surfaces.

                Philip

                P.S. Don't cook the clay too much or it gets brittle.

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

                > All,
                > I've had a Kickback on my Big Dummy for a month now, and I have completely
                > worn out the piece of carpet that came with it to cushion it against the
                > frame. The carpet slid back slowly and wore through to the point where the
                > kickback has taken enough paint off to see the bare frame.
                >
                > What can I do that would be a longer-term solution? I'm definitely not
                > going to replace carpet swatches once a month. I'd think about super-gluing
                > a swatch on there, but then if it wore through again, I'd have a heck of a
                > time replacing it. I have some plast-i-dip spray, and I may try applying it
                > to the Kickback. Are there any other ideas out there?

              • shokulan
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 31, 2009
                  Inner tube and hose clamps?

                  CL
                  who's going to have to come up with something creative to keep the disc brake housing from wearing holes in her FreeLoaders...

                  > On Mar 30, 2009, at 10:37 AM, Andrew Kreps wrote:
                  >
                  > > I've had a Kickback on my Big Dummy for a month now, and I have
                  > > completely worn out the piece of carpet that came with it to cushion
                  > > it against the frame. The carpet slid back slowly and wore through
                  > > to the point where the kickback has taken enough paint off to see
                  > > the bare frame.
                  > >
                  > > What can I do that would be a longer-term solution? I'm definitely
                  > > not going to replace carpet swatches once a month.
                • David Dannenberg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 31, 2009
                    Here is the link to pix of the solution I rigged: http://picasaweb.google.com/daviddannenberg1/KickbackSupportBracket#

                    Works well. I think the stainless steel one from Rick & Co. will likely be more elegant.

                    That clay stuff sounds interesting for other applications. What is it called?

                    David Dannenberg

                  • Rick Pickett

                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 31, 2009
                        I--or rather my wife and kids--have used Sculpy before. I would have
                        though it too brittle, but perhaps with less baking... comes in pretty
                        colors too. :)

                        David
                      • Dave Lloyd
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 27, 2009
                          I've noticed the carpet slipping off my kickback (mounted on a regular ol' freeradical, not a big dummy). Additionally, the carpet is just about worn out.  After flipping the carpet around (it was primarily worn on one side), I noticed that there is a scratch and a small dent in the bottom stay of the free radical.  Would the SS plate also work for freeradicals, or do I need to fab something myself?

                          --dlloyd

                          On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 15:12, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

                          They're in final production stage in Taiwan right now, we're going to try and AirShip a number of them so we don't have to wait for the container to motor over.

                          I'm rocking' the prototype right now and it's doing a fine job and hasn't fallen off once, and I bang my Dummster around.

                          Rick

                          .

                        • Rick Pickett
                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 27, 2009
                            Dave,

                            Just to get your message clear, you're using your KickBack on a FreeRadical, correct?

                            If so, you need not use the carpet pad.  The plastic TacoBushing should fit on the FreeRadical bottom stay.

                            Here's the link to the PDF installation manual for KickBack:

                            And I uploaded an image highlighting the Taco Bushing that I'm talking about:

                            If you don't have a Taco Bushing, you may have been incorrectly sent a Big Dummy Version KickBack instead of a FreeRad one.  If this is the case, give us a call at 888.537.1401.

                            Cheers,
                            Rick

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 28, 2009
                                I don't know what the xtracycle version will look like
                                but after seeing the design on picasa, yours is
                                quite elegant. I especially like the T shape as
                                it keeps the kick plate from shifting either
                                forwards or back or from rotating on the bar.
                                I am curious what type of rubber backing you
                                used and where you got it.

                                thanks

                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

                                > Here is the link to pix of the solution I rigged: http://picasaweb.google.com/daviddannenberg1/KickbackSupportBracket#
                                >
                                > Works well. I think the stainless steel one from Rick & Co. will
                                > likely be more elegant.
                                >
                                > That clay stuff sounds interesting for other applications. What is it
                                > called?
                                >
                                > David Dannenberg

                              • David Dannenberg
                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 28, 2009
                                  Glad you like my design. You understand the T concept exactly.

                                  For padding I used a piece of neoprene that I had in the attic--part
                                  of an old kit for making whitewater mittens back in the early '80s I
                                  think. Old wetsuit material would work, any kind of fairly stretchy
                                  but tough foam would work. A piece of heavy inner tube or old bike
                                  tire might do it also.