Rain Gear ( was Re: Howdy from Chicago)

  • wookiebonic
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
      Ive been using lots of wool clothing this winter. The best place to
      find this stuff around here seems to be THRIFT STORES. $4.00
      sweaters! Great if you're not made of money. I am on the hunt for the
      perfect weatherproof riding jacket. I know Carradice makes a nice one and
      Todd,the creator of the the Stokemonkey,has a blog entry with some
      nice looking kit. I've dumped a few pictures in the photo section.
      If you are reading this and have a camera, how 'bout getting creative
      and sharing some pictures?!?
      peace
      -steve in chicago

    • TheJonesgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
        Thanks for the headlight info and seconding the goretex.
        I really do need a brighter light so I'll look for one.

        Gerry
      • Jeff Youngstrom
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
          I've got a suspension fork with no fender mounts too (it does have a
          screw at the arch). I've had good luck with just using a couple of
          zip-ties to attach the fender stays. Front fender makes a HUGE
          difference in the wet.

          On 2/7/06, Gauk <akiragauk@...> wrote:
          > I second the Gore-Tex. I live a measely 2 miles away, so I wear my
          > (work) steel toes as they're both waterproof and wicking. The soles
          > are stiffer than sneakers, too. Wool socks are a must if it gets truly
          > cold. I've got a fender on the back, but nothing on the front as there
          > are no fender mounts. Still debating half-fender vs. new fork. I've
          > got a Bright, BRIGHT headlight - Busch & Müller Ixon 1 watt LED (14
          > Lumen for 6 hours). http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp
          > --Gauk, akiragauk@...
        • Mike Leger
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2006
            After ~10 years of riding in Gore-Tex jacket and pants from Nashbar/Saucony, I've decided that Gore-Tex is not the preferred material for rain/snow riding for me. It's not waterproof by any stretch of the imagination. My shoulders get wet after ½ hour in a steady rain. It is a good windbreaker, holding up in temps well below 0F. The pants also begin to soak through in the thighs after ½ hour. It's fairly stiff compared to some other fabrics. It requires special washing--powder only, no softener, and you will be asked to wash the clothes 3 times in succession if you have a problem with its waterproof-ness. I've recently purchased a Burley Rain Rider jacket. More supple material, but it's not been subjected to harsh conditions yet. It has provided good windbreaker service.

            Mike
            X/SM rider in Madison, WI
            (Xtracycle/Stokemonkey)

            Thanks for the headlight info and seconding the goretex.
            I really do need a brighter light so I'll look for one.

            Gerry

            ride to believe.

            Konjac root
            Roots blower