[rootsradicals] To bounce, or not to bounce?

  • allen wade
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 24, 2009

      I also ride a front suspended xtracyle.  With a little adjusting it has made my ride that much better. I previously had a sulry rigid fork mounted to my ride but went to suspension when I converted to discs.  Don't get me wrong, I love the purity of an unsuspended single speed, but everthing has it's place. I ride the Xtracycle most days on a 20 mile commute.  The suspension takes the edge off the bumps (especially when loaded) and adds to the enjoyment of the ride.

      "Big" Al Wade

      From: Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...>
      Subject: Re: [rootsradicals] To bounce, or not to bounce?
      To: rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 24, 2009, 1:50 PM

      I wanted to leave some final words on this thread.

      I've ridden the air-sprung Big Dummy about 300 miles now, and I couldn't be happier with it.  It took a little tuning, but I dialed the fork in.  I increased the compression, decreased the rebound damping and added a bit of air to raise the platform for stable seated pedaling.  I love the way the front wheel tracks the road no matter how rough it is, and I've found that heavy loads don't affect the fork at all.  In fact, it's even more comfortable for passengers since the front-end bumps are smoothed out.

      That is the beauty of the Xtracycle design -- since the cargo is centered directly over the rear wheel, the front end never gets heavy.  If it did, steering would suffer, and you would be in a world of hurt.

      If any of you out there are thinking about shocks, you have my encouragement!