Re: Xtracycle Car Rack

  • Philip Chase
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Kreps <andrew.kreps@...> wrote:

      > No, I'm not talking about towing my car with the Big Dummy, although
      > that would be a bit of fun. How many of you out there have put an X
      > on your car? I'm thinking of taking the bike to Smith Rock in a
      > couple of weeks and I'm wondering if the SUB rack from Xtracycle is
      > the only route, or if I can make do with something like the Yakima
      > Sprocketrocket.
      >
      > I've crawled the internet to no avail, and the SUB rack is currently
      > out of stock at Xtracycle's store. Most roof racks don't specify
      > their length, except to say that it won't fit a tandem. The Big
      > Dummy, with its 58" wheelbase, sits somewhere inbetween. It looks
      > like the aftermarket has yet to catch up with the new hotness.

      I extended a roof mount tray with an aluminum tube, a power drill and some bolts and it worked, but it was way too complicated.

      What has worked for me was a conventional spare-tire mounted rack. I have a Thule Spare-Me and it works fine. It's a two bike rack. I slide the seats stays over one of the supports and the top tube over the other. I put one seat stay on each pad. I works well, but take the V-racks and freeloaders off if you are going more than a few miles as they catch a lot of wind.

      Yes it does stick out on the sides, but if you are careful it's not a problem.

      Philip