Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Chain Length Question

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 15, 2009
      I rode recumbents for quite some time, and still have one in my garage awaiting some repair work to be functional.

      As a side note...The REASON it has been sitting for over 2 years is because the Xtracycle and the E-assist are both on my upright (Wedgie, Ass hatchet) bike, and the X gets RIDDEN and the recumbent has been sitting!

      ANYWAY, on the extremely long chain lines on Trikes and recumbents, you nearly HAVE to have some sort of idler wheel.  They are easy enough to set up,   Make a plate with a bolt welded to it that fits a skate board wheel.  Clamp said plate to a convienent spot on the bike frame and run the chain over this wheel.  It helps if you make a groove in the wheel that will keep the chain tracking and an L bracket to keep it from bouncing off. If you make a double wheel you can have the chain run across it in BOTH directions.  My Terra Trike had TWO of these and it did not seem to detract from performance enough to feel.

      It worked great and was a fun bike!

      MArk

      On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 3:03 PM, John W <john.p.wendell@...> wrote:
      Hi,

      One thing to keep in mind when reading the advice for shifting and chain length is that gears that are made "unusable" on short-tail bikes because of chain line issues may work perfectly well on long-tail bicycles because of the longer chain. For example, it is generally advised to avoid the large cog/large chainring combination because the chain has so far to go in a lateral direction it creates more friction, noise and stress on the entire drive train.  But with a longer chain the angle of deviation from a perfect chain line is less so this is not as big an issue.  You still have the chain tension issues but as mentioned in other posts this can be solved by a longer cage or other more clever means.  So another advantage of a long-tail bike is you get more usable gears and consequently don't have to shift between chainrings as often, which is a nuisance in general but even more so under load.

      Aloha, - John

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Bruno <bsantos@...> wrote:

      > Hi!
      >
      > I was thinking about how your derailer cage length could be involved in this
      > to see if there would be anything to add to what Rick already said
      > (everything needed to know) and found this post about cage length and chain
      > lenght on http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=284688 that can be an
      > interesting read too.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Bruno