Big Dummy Color option?

  • dianedouglas8
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 9 2:17 PM
      Hey Roots Radicals,

      I entered the Xtracycle contest to try to win a Big Dummy. Unfortunately (like the 150 other people) I lost. However, I learned that Xtra and Surly may offer us a consolation prize--getting our Big Dummies in the color of our choice. OD Green is not the most visible color, you know.

      Does anyone out there know anything about this?

      Scott
      Washington, DC
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 9 2:24 PM
        Ooooooo,

        You just hold onto your horsies there, Scott! :)

        We've got something in store... Launches mañana*.

        Rick

        * That's the day after today for us gringos, or better known as "tomorrow." :P

        On Mar 9, 2009, at 2:17 PM, dianedouglas8 wrote:

        Hey Roots Radicals,

        I entered the Xtracycle contest to try to win a Big Dummy. Unfortunately (like the 150 other people) I lost. However, I learned that Xtra and Surly may offer us a consolation prize--getting our Big Dummies in the color of our choice. OD Green is not the most visible color, you know.

        Does anyone out there know anything about this?

        Scott
        Washington, DC

      • Jeff Snavely
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 9 2:30 PM
          Glad someone's doing it, although I find it somewhat annoying.

          I *think* I was the first (but not only) person to strip my frame and now the uniqueness will be gone, not that anyone's ever seen a pic of my bike post-paint.

          Pre-paint pic.
          http://kdasdesigns.com/images/ebay/dummy.jpg

          The dummy deserves some brightness.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 9 2:43 PM
            Awww, Jeff!

            No one will have that color... Plus, each size looks a bit different when painted.  I'm vacillating between chroming my bike or going flat black... Thoughts?

            I detest my 22" Surly Military (Militant) Green, but it looks sick on the 16" IMHO, or maybe all tall bikes just look goofy to me.  Grass is always greener (pun intended!).

            Sorry, didn't sleep till 9AM last night!

            And now, for some gluttonous American consumption!

            On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@ mac.com> wrote:

            Ooooooo,

            You just hold onto your horsies there, Scott! :)

            We've got something in store... Launches mañana*.

            Rick

            * That's the day after today for us gringos, or better known as "tomorrow." :P

            On Mar 9, 2009, at 2:17 PM, dianedouglas8 wrote:

            Hey Roots Radicals,

            I entered the Xtracycle contest to try to win a Big Dummy. Unfortunately (like the 150 other people) I lost. However, I learned that Xtra and Surly may offer us a consolation prize--getting our Big Dummies in the color of our choice. OD Green is not the most visible color, you know.

            Does anyone out there know anything about this?

            Scott
            Washington, DC

          • John W
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 11 3:19 PM
              Well, I suppose the green seems military but it reminds me of a clunker bike I had when I was a visiting professor in Sweden which is not exactly a militant sort of place, so it makes me nostalgic.

              By the way, if you want to see a great movie where the protagonist drives a utility bike check out the early Ingmar Bergman film from the 1950s Sommaren med Monika (The Summer with Monika). It is in B&W but I bet the color was just like the BD only with a flatter finish. In the opening scene our hero is riding his utility bike in traffic along with everyone else - lots of bicycles mixing it up with the trucks, cars and trolleys (no he is not riding on the wrong side of the road - Sweden didn't starting driving on the right until 1967). Bikes definitely belonged ... those were the days.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11 3:29 PM
                Love lots of Bergman's films, haven't seen this one.  Netflix, here I come!

                Also of note, we released the details of our custom paint program for the Big Dummy frameset.  Also a custom build and paint program too.

                Cheers,
                Rick

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 11 5:18 PM
                    We broke the store down into four Big Dummy categories:

                    Standard (frameset & complete)
                    Matte Black
                    Soft Gloss (traditional bike frame powder coating, nothing to bling-bling, just nice, solid colors)
                    Metallics (or, more specifically, a translucent top coat of color over a aluminium undercoat.  looks super hot!)

                    That answer your question?  Each color has its own sku, from what I understand.

                    Cheers,
                    Rick