Re: [rootsradicals] Can you attach an Xtracycle to a single-speed cruiser bicycle?

  • Cathode Ray
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 19, 2007
      At 12:19 AM +0000 20/1/07, gary green wrote:
      >My question is: Will the 26" model Xtracycle attach to the rear axle
      >holders (dropouts?) OK?

      This should work fine, you just need to check a couple of things: The
      over-locknut dimension (O.L.D.) should be 135mm, and the dropouts
      should be 7mm thick. The xtracycle kit comes with spacer washers for
      use with thinner dropouts.

      So take the back wheel off your cruiser and measure the inside
      dimension between the dropouts. If it is 135mm, you are good to go!

      If your existing back wheel is 135mm O.L.D. it will fit straight into
      the xtracycle extension. This is standard on most 26" bikes less than
      10 years old.

      For more details see the owners installation manual at
      http://www.xtracycle.com/media/manual.pdf

      ray

      http://www.retrovox.com.au
    • messtime
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 19, 2007
        Thank you very much Ray for answering my question.  I will check the bike out tomorrow, Saturday.  It probably is a standard 135mm but i wanted to be reasonably sure about the fit before spending the money.  Thanks again.   Sincerely,  gary

        --
        GARY GREEN
        1301-B NORTHCREST DR #105

        Websites:
        www.bicycleandbeach.com
        www.shedandshelter.com
      • messtime
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 20, 2007
          Dear Ray,

          I just measured my Trek cruiser and the inside o.l.d. seems to be 110mm with about a 4mm dropout thickness.

          And my other bike (giant cyress st 700c wheel) has a o.l.d. of 135mm with dropouts 6mm thick.

          Will the Xtracycle work with the cruiser?

          I guess maybe the cypress is OK.

          Thanks,   gary

          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
            At 12:18 PM -0800 20/1/07, messtime wrote:
            >I just measured my Trek cruiser and the inside o.l.d. seems to be
            >110mm with about a 4mm dropout thickness.
            >
            >And my other bike (giant cypress st 700c wheel) has a o.l.d. of
            >135mm with dropouts 6mm thick

            Which bike do you use more? I would recommend fitting the Xtracycle
            to the bike you use most often.

            The dimensions of the cruiser are not an ideal fit for the Xtracycle.
            The frame would have to be spread to fit.

            I did a web search and saw a pic of the Giant Cypress. The geometry
            looks quite similar to my Avanti Explorer 700c. I installed a 26"
            xtracycle on my 700c because I wanted more choice of tire on the
            back. At present I use a fat slick. The 700c front gives a very good
            ride.

            I have been using the Xtracycle for more than a year now and it has
            been truly revolutionary to my lifestyle. Here's a pic with one of
            the freeloaders removed:

            http://www.retrovox.com.au/hpv/images/xcycle_1.jpg

            Hope this helps

            ray
          • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
              One thing with a coaster brake is that if you drop the chain, you aint stoppin (especially with a heavy load)...so be careful when you install it.  :)

              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                Thanks Ray for your help.

                Problem is solved.  I will use my Giant Cypress ST for adaptation to the Xtracycle.   I will buy a 700c size from Xtracycle and use that.  I love the 700c size wheel.  I use my hybrid for hauling anyway.  I will make it a dedicated hauling bicycle.  The only thing i am presently concerned about is the kickstand plate area which is not standard as you might find on most other bikes.  The Giant Cypress ST is in my opinion a low cost minimal bicycle.  But i like it anyway.

                Thanks for mentioning braking problem with my cruiser bike.  If i had decided to use that bike i was thinking of buying the additional rear brake kit (v-brakes) to supplement the coaster brake.

                I will not use my beach cruiser for use with the Xtracycle.

                Thanks for the picture of your bicycle - the Avanti.

                Sincerely,  gary

                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                  At 8:21 AM -0800 22/1/07, messtime wrote:
                  >I will buy a 700c size from Xtracycle and use that. I love the 700c
                  >size wheel. I use my hybrid for hauling anyway. I will make it a
                  >dedicated hauling bicycle. The only thing i am presently concerned
                  >about is the kickstand plate area which is not standard as you might
                  >find on most other bikes

                  The Xtracycle freeradical kit comes with a kickstand, although I'd
                  prefer a centre stand. Normal stands that mount between the
                  chainstays won't fit because the xtracycle uses that space. Other
                  stand options are available.

                  The only difference between the 700c and 26" xtracycle kits is the
                  position of the V-brake mounts. A 26" wheel with disc brakes can be
                  used with a 700c xtracycle. I started with a 700c xtracycle, but
                  found that tire choice was limited. The maximum 700c tire size that
                  will fit is 38mm. I found that this wasn't enough air or rubber for
                  carrying big loads, and was very bumpy for any passengers. A fat back
                  tire is the only way to get any kind of suspension on the rear.

                  I tried a number of different 26" slicks on the rear and settled on a
                  2" slick. Recommended pressure is 35-65 lbs. At maximum pressure the
                  actual contact area with the pavement is a centre strip about 20mm
                  wide. and rolling resistance is very low, probably lower than a 700c
                  x 35. When my back tire need replacing I want to try Maxxis Hookworm

                  The slicks are not a true slick, they do have some tread, I think it
                  is called inverse tread (holes instead of bumps). Forget about those
                  ridiculous knobby tires that are fitted to most 26" bikes.

                  ray
                • Devian Gilbert
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                    I've been using my Cdale F900 MTB as my Xtra convert.
                    currently it has a set of MAVIC Speedcity 700c wheels with Kenda Kwik CX 35c tyres on it and 203mm rotors with Avid Mechs
                    i really dig the MAVIC MP3 program, which is basically "taco wheel" insurance.

                    on the note of Hookworms...
                    uhh....
                    i WAS running a set of UST tyres on my Salsa
                    then loaded it up with Oldman Mountain racks, front and rear, panniers...
                    went for a 2-3 day trip road/dirt...
                    what happened was...
                    the rear tyre started to blister...
                    the tread actually started to separate from the carcass...
                    i ended up putting it on the front, as the front has less weight...and limping home some +60 miles.
                    pumping the tyre every 30minutes or so.

                    on that note...im not a big fan of Hookworms
                    i had thought they'd be awesome tyres...but not.

                    as for passenger comfort...
                    how about simply a foam pad to sit on?
                    or how crazy over kill/pimp my ride would it be to have the deck upholstered?

                    peace...d

                    http://www.mac.com/asanacycles

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                      Dear Ray,

                      I mentioned the kick stand area because it is my understanding that it is the area where the tongue of the Xtracycle is attached and my bike does not have an open hole in the top of the tube for a bolt to go through.  "Laughter" (name of customer service lady) at Xtracycle suggested i drill a hole into the tube to allow the bolt which secures the tongue to the frame to pass through.

                      Anyway i have already ordered the 700c Xtracycle, but i might be able to change the order to a 26" tire size if i hurry.

                      Would you agree that buying a 700c Xtracycle gives you the option of use with both a 700c and a 26" size tire if i decided to use the Xtracycle with a 26" tire bicycle equipped with a disc brake?

                      Meaning you can go down in size but not up in size?

                      Can you use a 26" Xtracycle with a 700c wheel?  I guess you would not be able to use v-brakes at all and maybe you can install a disc brake onto the 700c wheel?

                      I will be using a "snap deck" on the Xtracycle.

                      As for 26" tires i like the:

                      Ritcheylogic  MOBY-BITE 26"x2.1" (Fat Slick Tires) These tires are really big!
                      Item Specifications
                      Tire BeadSteel
                      ISO Diameter559
                      ISO Width53 mm
                      Color Tread/SideBlack/Black
                      Tire TypeClincher
                      Tire Diameter26"
                      Tire UseRoad
                      Weight620 g
                      PSI45-60 PSI

                      I do not like knobby tires either.  I do not understand how people can do any street riding with them - i tried it once and could not stand the vibration.

                      I will look at the Maxxis Hookworm.

                      Thanks again Ray for the help and education.  Much appreciated.  I will probably be working on the Xtracycle project for awhile.  gary

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                        At 3:53 PM -0800 22/1/07, messtime wrote:
                        >I mentioned the kick stand area because it is my understanding that
                        >it is the area where the tongue of the Xtracycle is attached and my
                        >bike does not have an open hole in the top of the tube for a bolt to
                        >go through.

                        O, I see. I thought you meant the kickstand plate of the xtracycle.

                        A hole is not required in the chainstay bridge. The tongue rests on
                        the chainstay bridge and the bolt goes through the tongue and the
                        front attachment place supplied with the kit.
                      • messtime
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                          Thanks Ray,

                          I will have to see how the Xtracycle is made before i can comment further on whether it will fit or not.  My bike has a weird frame configuration which may make it a little difficult to install.   I do not know until i actually see the Xtracycle.  I found out they - Xtracycle are very close to where i live so it will probably not be long before i receive my order and i will let you know how it turns out.   Sincerely, gary

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                            At 3:53 PM -0800 22/1/07, messtime wrote:
                            >Would you agree that buying a 700c Xtracycle gives you the option of
                            >use with both a 700c and a 26" size tire if i decided to use the
                            >Xtracycle with a 26" tire bicycle equipped with a disc brake?

                            The actual xtracycle frame is the same for 700c and 26" versions. The
                            only difference is the position of the V brake mounts. The disc brake
                            mounts are the same. With disk brakes you can use either 700c or 26"
                            wheels.

                            The only issue for 700c wheels on an xtracycle is clearance for
                            larger tires sizes. Width is not a problem, but diameter. Even 700c x
                            38 tires run very close to the frame.

                            I use 700c on the front and 26" on the rear.

                            ray
                          • messtime
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                              Thanks again Ray for your kind help.  Much appreciated.

                              I guess i will have to experiment and get some experience with using the Xtracycle.  I do not really know what to do right now as i have never even seen this hauling system except in pictures.  Basing my decision on the information you just sent me i will probably let the order stand for now and then make changes later if need be.  Since i no longer own a car i am glad to spend time working with bicycle stuff.  Your set-up sounds very efficient and i may have to use the same thing in order to get good results and tire size options as you pointed out.  Sincerely,   gary

                              On 1/22/07, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:

                              At 3:53 PM -0800 22/1/07, messtime wrote:
                              >Would you agree that buying a 700c Xtracycle gives you the option of
                              >use with both a 700c and a 26" size tire if i decided to use the
                              >Xtracycle with a 26" tire bicycle equipped with a disc brake?

                              The actual xtracycle frame is the same for 700c and 26" versions. The
                              only difference is the position of the V brake mounts. The disc brake
                              mounts are the same. With disk brakes you can use either 700c or 26"
                              wheels.

                              The only issue for 700c wheels on an xtracycle is clearance for
                              larger tires sizes. Width is not a problem, but diameter. Even 700c x
                              38 tires run very close to the frame.

                              I use 700c on the front and 26" on the rear.

                              ray

                              --
                              GARY GREEN
                              1301-B NORTHCREST DR #105
                              CRESCENT CITY  CA   95531
                              707-464-4113 RM 35

                              Websites:
                              www.bicycleandbeach.com
                              www.shedandshelter.com
                            • Rainbow Flight
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 22, 2007
                                Hi Folks
                                For those who've not done so yet and are contemplating disc brakes on the rear (as I just found out) you'll need to put on an 8" (203mm) rotor, which is bigger than a lot of MTB rear brakes (usually 6"). I've just done this on my new(er) set up a Kona Caldera MTB with Hayes hydrolic disc on the front and an Avid mechanical disc on the rear. As I've been going to the local art & craft market every Saturday fully loaded (big roll of kites and fire staff and umbrellas and collapsable flag poles on one wide/long loader, 2 folding tables on the other, gazzebo on the snap deck, CoolStop Cargo trailer loaded with stock off the back ("streched limo bicycle road train!")) I really noticed the need for good brakes!

                                Even the salesman at the local bike shop was very impressed that Xtracyle had set up the rear for 8" not 6" disc brakes, makes so much sense with a load on. I managed to get a brand new mechanical disc set up off a bike where a customer wanted to go up to better gear (hydrolics), but my impression after a week is discs are great, and mechanical are probably fine, at least for the rear.

                                The other big improvement I added today was a quality seat suspension post (Post Modern). As there's not really  way to use an Xtracycle on a full suspension bike, this was definitely a more comfortable way to travel, especially with a load on and dealing with curbs, driveways, uneven surfaces, bike tracks etc.

                                Now I've just to convince my wife that I need that Stokemonkey....I'll be intouch with you sometime Todd!

                                Spreading the Xtracycle message in Nelson, NZ
                                Ted

                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                                  On 2007-01-22, at 10:13 PM, messtime wrote:
                                  > I guess i will have to experiment and get some experience with
                                  > using the Xtracycle. I do not really know what to do right now as
                                  > i have never even seen this hauling system except in pictures.

                                  Depending on what you carry, you might want a wideloader or two (I
                                  need to order one myself). The last load I carried (a folding
                                  ladder, 43 inches long) strapped to the top of the deck was
                                  noticeably whippy, and would have worked better strapped in lower and
                                  tighter to the frame. But the stuff you see carried in those crazy
                                  pictures, that's entirely believeable to me now, because I've done
                                  some of that myself (towing a bike turns out to be dead easy -- a
                                  bike is light, and supports half its weight anyhow). I am sure that
                                  the heaviest loads move a little more slowly.

                                  David
                                • messtime
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                                    Sorry to bother you Ray but as an afterthought i realized that anyone who is sure in their mind about the best wheel set-up for themselves like yourself would probably buy the xtracycle matching their philosophy.   In your case a 700c wheel in the front and a 26" wheel in the back attached to the 26" xtracycle therefore giving a person the ability to use either the v-brake or a disc brake.   In other words if a person is going to use a 26" wheel on a permanent basis then it is probably efficient or best to install the 26" xtracycle.  gg

                                    On 1/22/07, Cathode Ray <ray@...

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                                      Thanks David for the comments.

                                      You are right.  I need to order the wideloaders.

                                      I was under the mistaken impression that they came with the kit.   The kit comes with the following only:

                                      "The FreeRadical Hitchless Bicycle Trailer Kit comes with the FreeRadical base frame, two FreeLoaders, V-Racks, a SnapDeck , cables, chain, and all the small parts you will need to convert your bike into an S.U.B".

                                      Thanks for pointing this out to me.  I shall order the needed items today.  gg

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                                        At 7:13 PM -0800 22/1/07, messtime wrote:
                                        >I guess i will have to experiment and get some experience with using
                                        >the Xtracycle. I do not really know what to do right now as i have
                                        >never even seen this hauling system except in pictures

                                        I did a lot of looking at pictures and wondering how it might handle
                                        before I bought the xtracycle online. I had no opportunity to test
                                        ride, as I live in inland Australia and the nearest dealer was 500 km
                                        away.

                                        When the bike shop assembled it for me and I started using it....WOW
                                        ! Way better than I thought possible! Far exceeded my expectations,
                                        and has changed my lifestyle.

                                        ray
                                      • messtime
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 23, 2007
                                          Dear Ray,

                                          That's good to hear!  That is interesting you live in Australia.  Please open virus free attachment for picture of the best bicycle road in Australia!

                                          The xtracycle looks like something i could have used 12 years ago when i was living the homeless lifestyle in Ft. Bragg CA.   Myself and another guy were always hauling food and water, camping gear and white buckets used to hold misc. junk all over the area on our bicycle's handlebars and rear baskets.  Now i am not homeless (living in a motel) but can still use it for groceries and maybe camping gear and hauling things between my motel room and mini-storage unit.  The xtracycle looks to be something a homeless person could put to good use.  I live in a northern california beach town (crescent city) and there is a lot of homeless people here riding bikes loaded down with all kinds of stuff.  They either load there bike down or make homemade bike trailers.  The xtracycle might be a better alternative for them and myself if i become homeless again.   Thanks for the comments!    gary