Video shows how Xtracycle carries loads, uses wideloaders & footsies

  • flying_bicycle
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 6 10:23 PM
      Hiya,

      I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.

      I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!

      So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.

      Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com

      Cheers!

      RJ
    • kwikfile
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 7 5:27 AM
        RJ,

        Really enjoyed the video! Your site is very cool too. Very informative and fun to read.

        Carl

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "flying_bicycle" <flying_bicycle@...> wrote:

        > Hiya,
        >
        > I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.
        >
        > I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!
        >
        > So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.
        >
        > Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com
        >
        > Cheers!
        >
        > RJ

      • Mark Garvey
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 7 5:40 AM
          Hey guys? I don't see what is so darned difficult about installing the X on a bike.  The Book that came with Mine is a part of my library of bicycle stuff and it has a very detailed and very comprehensive set of instructions.  I am fairly good with mechanical stuff, but no expert, and I had ZERO difficulty following the directions and building up my ride.  You might need a few tools like a Cable Cutter (Good sharp Dikes work well too...uh....Diagonal cutters, like pliers but with a nice sharp cutting blade in case you don't know)

          A set of inexpensive metric wrenches and a set of inexpensive metric Allen Wrenches (or Hex wrenches, they look like the letter L)  cost for all of these tools is about $20 and you will probably find them useful in any case.  YOu will also need a chain breaker. similarly inexpensive..for a good tool (under $10 or so for a cheap one that will work)

          And about two happy hours in the fresh air and sunshine of my back yard had me back on the road with my new X.  OK, you can throw a hundred bananas at the bike shop if you want.  Of buy a case of beer, and invite a friend who is mechanically minded and have a pleasant chat, and spend an afternoon tinkering on your bike.

          I think Xtracycle did a super job of the instructions. Don't be afraid!  If you are anywhere near reasonably competent with tools .  If you can rrepair a tube or replace a chain, you can do this!

          Heck, I think the X is the BESTEST invention EVER to go with a bicycle.  It is really amazing!  My bike is easy to ride, still maneuverable, still fun, and so Amazingly practical that it STILL ASTOUNDS ME and this after about 2 solid years of riding it!  The only thing that has helped me MORE is the addition of the e-assist.  And I can live without that if I have to. I CAN NOT live without my Xtracycle!  It is my transportation, it carries my groceries, it hauls my magic and balloon show to gigs.  It is as straightforwardly useful in the same way my rusty old 3/4 ton cargo van is!  And for the same reasons!  It is practical.  The cycling equivalent of Work Boots and gloves!

          Spend the time, do it!  Why give away any more cash than you absolutely HAVE to!

          XTRACYCLES ROCK!

          Mark Garvey  AKA "Papa Balloon"

          On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:23 AM, flying_bicycle <flying_bicycle@...> wrote:
          Hiya,

          I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.

          I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!

          So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.

          Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com

          Cheers!

          RJ

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          --
          "I just like to blow things up!"

          Papa Balloon
        • kwikfile
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 7 6:15 AM
            C;mon Mark
            Tell us how you really feel - don't hold back!

            Just given you a hard time. Yes - I know how you feel - Sort of an Old Friend feeling when I ride. Takes me back years like my old S Stingray with the Banana seat. Now my arse would probably snap a Banana seat in two. : )

            Let the Good times roll...

            Carl
          • Victor Khong
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 7 9:59 AM
              RJ,

              Fantastic videos!  Probably the best I have seen showing the versatility of the Xtracycle so far.  Great job!

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 7 11:20 AM
                Thanks for the details about the install, Mark. I have decided to try and install mine myself when it arrives next week. I have done some basic maintenance on my bike in the past and need to buy some new tools, but given that the shop said it will take them a couple weeks and couldn't give me a quote without seeing my bike first I might as well give it a shot myself!

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Mark Garvey <lazybee45@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > straightforwardly useful in the same way my rusty old 3/4 ton cargo van is!
                > And for the same reasons! It is practical. The cycling equivalent of Work
                > Boots and gloves!
                >
                > Spend the time, do it! Why give away any more cash than you absolutely HAVE
                > to!
                >
                > XTRACYCLES ROCK!
                >
                > Mark Garvey AKA "Papa Balloon"
                >
                > On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 12:23 AM, flying_bicycle <flying_bicycle@...>wrote:
                >
                > > Hiya,
                > >
                > > I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle
                > > photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.
                > >
                > > I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to
                > > look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!
                > >
                > > So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on

              • jlpera
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 7 11:32 AM
                  RJ...
                  Wonderful video! Thanks for sharing, I've read your blog a few times as well...hope you get that bike from Trek!
                  Lee

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "flying_bicycle" <flying_bicycle@...> wrote:

                  > Hiya,
                  >
                  > I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.
                  >
                  > I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!
                  >
                  > So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.
                  >
                  > Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com
                  >
                  > Cheers!
                  >
                  > RJ

                • flying_bicycle
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 9 11:23 PM
                    Thanks for all of the praise and encouragement about the Xtracycle video I put together! It certainly inspires me to make more!

                    Thanks, guys!

                    RJ

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jlpera" <jlpera@...> wrote:

                    > RJ...
                    > Wonderful video! Thanks for sharing, I've read your blog a few times as well...hope you get that bike from Trek!
                    > Lee
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "flying_bicycle" <flying_bicycle@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hiya,
                    > >
                    > > I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.
                    > >
                    > > I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!
                    > >
                    > > So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.
                    > >
                    > > Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com
                    > >
                    > > Cheers!
                    > >
                    > > RJ

                  • Ian Hoffman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 10 7:00 PM
                      Hey,

                      Very cool.

                      And while there might be another one in town, now I know of at least one other X in the region.  (I'm over in Richland)

                      -- Ian

                      On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 11:23 PM, flying_bicycle <flying_bicycle@...> wrote:

                      Thanks for all of the praise and encouragement about the Xtracycle video I put together! It certainly inspires me to make more!

                      Thanks, guys!

                      RJ

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jlpera" <jlpera@...> wrote:

                      > RJ...
                      > Wonderful video! Thanks for sharing, I've read your blog a few times as well...hope you get that bike from Trek!
                      > Lee
                      >
                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "flying_bicycle" <flying_bicycle@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hiya,
                      > >
                      > > I remember when I was scouring the internet, looking at every Xtracycle photo I could find, trying to decide whether I should buy one or not.
                      > >
                      > > I think of Me Then, and I think it would be nice if Me Then had a VIDEO to look at and bring the Xtracycle just that much closer to life!
                      > >
                      > > So I did. Hopefully it's just one in a series, but it's my first vid. on the Xtracycle.
                      > >
                      > > Find it at my blog, http://anadventurecalledbicycling.blogspot.com
                      > >
                      > > Cheers!
                      > >
                      > > RJ

                    • msdudley19
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                        Hello RJ,

                        I'm totally loving your blog, as I've just started bike commuting
                        seriously this year and just acquired and xtracycle. I have a
                        question for you, if you don't mind...what is your recommendation
                        regarding the wideloaders. I haven't run into a situation where I've
                        needed them yet, but I'm curious as to what gets someone off their
                        bike and on the Internet to purchase some.

                        Thanks,
                        Maura