Re: [rootsradicals] 700c favorite tires for Xtracycle?

  • Neil Walsh
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
      If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x 2.0.

      Neil

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
        That's completely impractical in the rear. Biggest you can get in
        back is maybe 700c x 37mm.

        On 2009-03-04, at 1:17 PM, Neil Walsh wrote:

        > If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x
        > 2.0.
        >
        > Neil
        >
        > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM, jlpera <jlpera@...> wrote:
        > > Hey,
        > > This message is geared towards those who use 700c version
        > Xtracycles...Do
        > > you have a favorite tire you use?
        > > My current bike that I'm going to put the X on has 700x32 tires
        > and I'd like
        > > to use the widest possible tire after I put on the Xtracycle. I'm
        > not going
        > > to be hauling passegers, just groceries and some light camping
        > once in a
        > > while. If anyone has suggestions for the widest/most durable/
        > comfortable
        > > tire they've been able to fit on, I'd appreciate the suggestion. I
        > don't
        > > have fenders, so that's not an issue for right now.
        > > Thanks!
        > > Lee

      • Rick Pickett
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
          I enjoyed riding Specialized nimbus tires at 700c x 28c (but that was
          for my Big Dummy, you might be able to get a 32c in your FreeRadical).

          Just keep in mind, the largest specs Xtracycle quotes are 700c x 37c,
          but that can change depending on the rim and true tire size (manf. can
          sometimes be wrong, i.e. two 37c tires might not be exactly the same).

          If you're going off road, get something with a bit more tread bite,
          but puncture resistance is the way to go, IMHO.

          Rick

          On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:40 AM, David Chase wrote:

          > That's completely impractical in the rear. Biggest you can get in
          > back is maybe 700c x 37mm.
          >
          > On 2009-03-04, at 1:17 PM, Neil Walsh wrote:
          >
          >> If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x
          >> 2.0.
          >>
          >> Neil
          >>
          >> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM, jlpera <jlpera@...> wrote:
          >>> Hey,
          >>> This message is geared towards those who use 700c version
          >> Xtracycles...Do
          >>> you have a favorite tire you use?
          >>> My current bike that I'm going to put the X on has 700x32 tires
          >> and I'd like
          >>> to use the widest possible tire after I put on the Xtracycle. I'm
          >> not going
          >>> to be hauling passegers, just groceries and some light camping
          >> once in a
          >>> while. If anyone has suggestions for the widest/most durable/
          >> comfortable
          >>> tire they've been able to fit on, I'd appreciate the suggestion. I
          >> don't
          >>> have fenders, so that's not an issue for right now.
          >>> Thanks!
          >>> Lee

        • Neil Walsh
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
            Fair point. I thought I had heard that the X could take up to 2.5" at
            the rear but that's the 26" version only.

            Neil

            On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM, David Chase <dr2chase@...> wrote:
            > That's completely impractical in the rear.  Biggest you can get in
            > back is maybe 700c x 37mm.
            >
            > On 2009-03-04, at 1:17 PM, Neil Walsh wrote:
            >
            >> If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x
            >> 2.0.
            >>
            >> Neil
            >>
            >> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM, jlpera <jlpera@...> wrote:
            >> > Hey,
            >> > This message is geared towards those who use 700c version
            >> Xtracycles...Do
            >> > you have a favorite tire you use?
            >> > My current bike that I'm going to put the X on has 700x32 tires
            >> and I'd like
            >> > to use the widest possible tire after I put on the Xtracycle. I'm
            >> not going
            >> > to be hauling passegers, just groceries and some light camping
            >> once in a
            >> > while. If anyone has suggestions for the widest/most durable/
            >> comfortable
            >> > tire they've been able to fit on, I'd appreciate the suggestion. I
            >> don't
            >> > have fenders, so that's not an issue for right now.
            >> > Thanks!
            >> > Lee

          • Bruno Santos
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2009
              On Wed, 2009-03-04 at 18:48 +0000, Neil Walsh wrote:
              > Fair point. I thought I had heard that the X could take up to 2.5" at
              > the rear but that's the 26" version only.

              IIRC they have the same clearance just different v-brake mount placing.

              I also ride 700c and I'll be installing disk brakes so I can use a
              sturdy 26" with a taller tire. It also makes it easier to have a full
              fender.

              Cheers,
              Bruno

            • Bob Pringle
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...> wrote:

                > I enjoyed riding Specialized nimbus tires at 700c x 28c (but that was
                > for my Big Dummy, you might be able to get a 32c in your FreeRadical).
                >
                > Just keep in mind, the largest specs Xtracycle quotes are 700c x 37c,
                > but that can change depending on the rim and true tire size (manf. can
                > sometimes be wrong, i.e. two 37c tires might not be exactly the same).
                >
                > If you're going off road, get something with a bit more tread bite,
                > but puncture resistance is the way to go, IMHO.
                >
                > Rick
                >
                > On Mar 4, 2009, at 10:40 AM, David Chase wrote:
                >
                > > That's completely impractical in the rear. Biggest you can get in
                > > back is maybe 700c x 37mm.
                > >
                > > On 2009-03-04, at 1:17 PM, Neil Walsh wrote:
                > >
                > >> If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x
                > >> 2.0.
                > >>
                > >> Neil

                > >> Xtracycles...Do
                > >> and I'd like
                > >> not going
                > >> once in a
                > >> comfortable
                > >> don't

                I'm using 27" x 1 1/4" Gatorskins on my X. It's tight, but it works. There's about 1/4" clearance at the front and rear crossmembers.

                Regards,
                Bob P.
              • jlpera
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                  Thanks for all the suggestions. I had seen some postings previously where folks said they fit 38mm tires on the rear and I was just wondering which brands since I know they vary. I'll let you all know what I end up getting to fit.

                  > That's completely impractical in the rear. Biggest you can get in
                  > back is maybe 700c x 37mm.
                  >
                  > On 2009-03-04, at 1:17 PM, Neil Walsh wrote:
                  >
                  > > If you can fit them, I would recommend the Schwalbe Big Apples 28 x
                  > > 2.0.
                  > >
                  > > Neil
                  > >
                  > > On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 5:54 PM, jlpera <jlpera@...> wrote:
                  > > > Hey,
                  > > > This message is geared towards those who use 700c version
                  > > Xtracycles...Do
                  > > > you have a favorite tire you use?
                  > > > My current bike that I'm going to put the X on has 700x32 tires
                  > > and I'd like
                  > > > to use the widest possible tire after I put on the Xtracycle. I'm
                  > > not going
                  > > > to be hauling passegers, just groceries and some light camping
                  > > once in a
                  > > > while. If anyone has suggestions for the widest/most durable/
                  > > comfortable
                  > > > tire they've been able to fit on, I'd appreciate the suggestion. I
                  > > don't
                  > > > have fenders, so that's not an issue for right now.
                  > > > Thanks!
                  > > > Lee

                • Shawn Antaya
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                    The Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700 x 32c fits just fine but the 700 x 35c is just a hair too large and rubs the X frame. The Marathon Plus is an excellent tire with strong side walls, punture resistance, low roll resistance, highly durable and reflective stripe around the sides. A bit pricey though.