Re: Howdy from Chicago

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
      What sort of tripped me into the riding in the rain category was
      getting caught in it a time or two and realizing that, just like
      riding in the cold, it really wasn't miserable (like walking when
      you're cold and wet would be).
      I have a pair of expensive wicking tights from Champaign Surplus
      that really do pull water out, so if I've got those on under sweats
      the rain doesn't get through to the skin. Two layers and then two
      jackets means the same thing applies to the top layer.
      Visibility can be an issue - fortunately I had amber sunglasses the
      one time I got caught in a gullywasher, and it wasn't coming *at* me.
      Let's face it, if it might spawn a tornado, I shouldn't be out in it.
      THose pass in a few minutes, usually.
      So far I haven't ridden in a steady downpour except that once. (I
      haven't had to; the weather likes me. COuldn't be the geography
      causing storms to break up and go around Champaign-Urbana; must be me!)

    • TheJonesgal@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
        What kind of jackets do you wear or does it matter?

        The tights sound like a good idea too. I'll check on them.

        I bet the people in your area are grateful that you bike and keep the huge rains away. :)

      • Susan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
          Basic windbreakers - I've got two that are lined and one or two that
          are just nylon, so usually I wear a lined one under an unlined one.
          One of 'em has lots of reflective stuff on the sleeves and it's bright
          yellow... I do rather like being visible.

          And basically any of the stuff people wear skiing works. (The
          snowmobiling suit I got when I rode a motorcycle doesn't, though -
          can't bend my knees enough.)

          They call me the 'weather goddess' :-)