Re:Another wild creation...the Green Machine

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hi Victor,
      That's a LifeBatt LiFePO4 battery (48V 20Ah, equivalent to 8-9 of the 10Ah/12V
      SLA batteries in terms of power output).

      It uses the "PSI" LiFePO4 cells, which are one of the best cells available
      (those and A123). These cells can handle
      up to 10C current, which for this 20Ah battery would mean 200 amps
      continuous! The bike uses a max of about 40A, so this gives a nice
      cushion, which will make the battery last longer. The PSI cells have
      been tested to last for up to 3,000 cycles, so I suspect this battery
      will be around for a long time.... (3,000 cycles * 20 miles per cycle =
      60,000 miles!)

      For all my ebikes up until about 2004 I used lead acids, then for
      a short while NiMH. They worked fine...
      but now I've been spoiled by LiFePO4. It is a lot lighter, delivers a flatter
      power curve with little sag at the end of discharge, and lasts a lot longer...
      Of course, it is much more expensive upfront (in the short term - over its life, it
      is actually less expensive...). And the technology is new.

      You've got a nice setup, thanks for sharing!

      Morgan

      Build thread is here: http://tinyurl.com/c5g7z8