Re: Geeking out on energy and elevation

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 2, 2009
      I just wanted to write and say Thanks for writing this, it is a great story!

      Morgan

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Rainbow Flight" <kitesfun@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks
      > Thank you Morgan!
      > I confess....I'm on that very small percentage who choose to ride their talk:
      > 1. I ride an Xtracycle conversion kitted transport bike
      > 2. It has a Stokemonkey electric-assist
      > 3. I ride it virtually every day either for my Permaculture gardening work, or for my kite
      [snip]
    • Carl Ray
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 2, 2009
        Wow - sounds like what I was doing before e-assist!

        The walk-in-the-door fights due to heat/exhaustion.

        Living on a hill - zooming down - dread climbing back up - Yes I have been there.

        E-assist is a big help - yet we can still stay Green.

        When car driver say I am cheating - I just laugh... ( too long to explain here)

        Keep it up and enjoy the ride,

        Carl

        On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 6:53 AM, shokulan <caralinb@...> wrote:

        For reasons that will soon be remedied, I've had to do without my
        electric assist (Stokemonkey) for all my commuting and elevation gains
        (not at all needed for elevation losses) over the past month. The
        result is exactly what Morgan predicted--I'm tired and don't have much
        physical or mental energy for much else.

        During the first 4 days of this week, my commute has totaled 83 km (52
        miles) in a total time of 6 hours 38 minutes (this excluded 10-minute
        breaks during my climb home) with an average speed of 12.5 kph (7.7
        mph), a max speed of 52.5 kph (32.6 mph), and a minimum speed of about
        5 kph (3.1 mph or about walking speed). All this probably sounds
        really little and really slow, but the last 30-40 minutes of each
        day's pedaling is climbing the hill (elevation change: 280 m or 918
        feet) to my house. The climbing road distance is about 2 km, but it
        is coming on the end of a long day.

        Yesterday, I hauled up this hill 3 bags of leaves for my compost pile.
        The day before, I brought home a vacuum cleaner. Today, I had to
        reject a fiberglass bathtub because I was not carrying the
        wide-loaders (and, as my husband would quickly point out, because with
        10 bathtubs in the yard already, I've not got a place to put it). So,
        even without a motor, I'm still hauling--just very slowly.

        Frankly, I like living at the top of the hill, because zooming down to
        work (and passing buses and motorbikes) is fun and fast. I almost
        always have more time to take the time I need to get home.

        The difference to my life the e-assist makes is this: it 1) increases
        my willingness to go out (always thinking about that climb home, see),
        2) decreases the time it takes to get home (saves 30-40 minutes each
        time by increasing my average speed from 12 kph to about 16 kph and my
        climbing speed from 5 kph to 12-16 kph), 3) almost eliminates achy
        knees, 4) greatly reduces my risk of heat exhaustion, and 5) almost
        completely eliminates my 'walk in the door' fights with my husband!
        This last, the foul fighting-mad heat exhaustion induced mood that I
        get into when climbing through heat and humidity to get home, is the
        main driver for my husband to agree that e-assist is a good thing
        (Gasp! It's Saved Our Marriage!!).

        CL

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

        "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

        Kent Peterson
        http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/