bike portage with my X

  • beth hamon
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009
      I am looking at using my X to take my 'cross bike to events this year.
      While the whole track thing is very nice, it's more money than I can
      spend just now (I built my 'cross bike up from mostly found parts on
      the cheap).

      A friend gave me one of those fork-clamp kits that allows you to mount
      your bike inside the bed of a pickup truck (you bolt the fork clamp to
      the front of the bed and clap the fork dropouts in with a Q/R).

      I am thinking about bolting this onto the rear end of my snap-deck and
      clamping the fork into it, while carrying the front wheel in one of
      the freeloader's side bags. Has anyone tried this? Does it set the
      whole front of the bike too high to maintain good control of the X
      (the front of the bike would certainly sit very high up from the
      ground)? Does it make the whole thing too long and/or adversely affect
      steering? Ideas welcome.

      Beth
    • watrout
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 23, 2009

        Little different circumstances, but same principle.  Take a look at the post I started

        we've been talking about it for a while.

        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "beth hamon" <periwinklekog@...> wrote:

        > I am looking at using my X to take my 'cross bike to events this year.
        > While the whole track thing is very nice, it's more money than I can
        > spend just now (I built my 'cross bike up from mostly found parts on
        > the cheap).
        >
        > A friend gave me one of those fork-clamp kits that allows you to mount
        > your bike inside the bed of a pickup truck (you bolt the fork clamp to
        > the front of the bed and clap the fork dropouts in with a Q/R).
        >
        > I am thinking about bolting this onto the rear end of my snap-deck and
        > clamping the fork into it, while carrying the front wheel in one of
        > the freeloader's side bags. Has anyone tried this? Does it set the
        > whole front of the bike too high to maintain good control of the X
        > (the front of the bike would certainly sit very high up from the
        > ground)? Does it make the whole thing too long and/or adversely affect
        > steering? Ideas welcome.
        >
        > Beth

      • jeremy.jgrant
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
          > Beth

          Towing this way may cause undue stress and wearing to the headset when the mounting
          point is high. U could mount it to the 'no step' bar but then u will still have to deal with
          wear on the forkends. The topic mentioned in the previous post adresses this wear issue.
        • Khalid Mateen
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
            What is a Panda on the Kogswell?  I was looking at flickr and notice on Adam A. shots that there is a shot of a panda but I do not see it.  What is it?  The bag?

            K.

            Towing this way may cause undue stress and wearing to the headset when the mounting
            point is high. U could mount it to the 'no step' bar but then u will still have to deal with
            wear on the forkends. The topic mentioned in the previous post adresses this wear issue.

          • Rick Pickett
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
              I was recently mega curious as to where this elusive "panda" was in those photos tagged with the furry beast of bamboo.

              Turns out, panda, for some reason I don't know, is term for photographing yourself, on your bike, usually no-hands riding.  The more you're looking at the camera and not where you're going, the "cooler" you are.

              Rick