Who installed your Free Radical?

  • andy_detorres
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
      Hi.

      I'm looking to get a Free Radical, and I'm wondering if you installed
      yours yourself or had it installed by a bike shop. If you installed
      it yourself, do you generally do your own bike work? I don't. I've
      replaced some cables in the past and cleaned the chain. That's about
      it. I'm otherwise pretty handy. Can I do it myself, or should I have
      a bike shop do it (as the Xtracycle site suggests)? And if I
      shouldn't do it myself, I'm in San Diego (Pacific Beach). Any
      recommendations on a good bike shop?

      Also, to the San Diegans in the group, what part of town are you in?

      Thanks,

      -Andy
    • Leifert, Jesse - BLS
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
        Hardest part is messing with the chain (adding links, determining length, etc)...or at least that was the hardest part for me.  If you've got the coin to spare I'd take it into a shop.  If you want to get your hands dirty, it's not too hard to figure out.

        Have fun!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
          I did mine myself then took it to a bike shop for fine tuning and a saftey check. I'm cetainly no bike mechanic but I managed to put it all together myself without to much trouble. I couldn't quite get all the gears working but the bike shop sorted that out for me pretty quickly.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2007
            On Jan 17, Andy wrote:

            > I'm looking to get a Free Radical, and I'm wondering if you
            > installed yours yourself or had it installed by a bike shop. If
            > you installed
            > it yourself, do you generally do your own bike work? I don't.
            > I've replaced some cables in the past and cleaned the chain.
            > That's about
            > it. I'm otherwise pretty handy. Can I do it myself, or should I
            > have a bike shop do it (as the Xtracycle site suggests)?

            I've installed two of my own, and they were pretty easy because I
            have quite a bit of experience with building my own bikes and the
            instructions are very good. But you should consider that there are
            several safety issues which fall outside of the scope of the
            experience you mention. Installation of certain Shimano chains is one
            that comes immediately to mind. Moving and adjusting the rear brake
            is another. Things that aren't difficult but that you might not know
            about.

            If you do decide to try it yourself, I'd do as another poster had
            recommended and have a shop check your work before you ride it...

            Michael Lemberger
            Madison, WI
            sconnyboy.blogspot.com
          • Bruce Alan Wilson
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 18, 2007
              Re:Who installed your Free Radical?

              I haven't gotten mine yet, but when I do I plan to have my LBS do it.  Better safe than sorry!  But I am widely known for my mechanical incompetence.  I was asked NOT to be on my church's Habitat workcrew for fear that I would cut off both my thumbs.

              Bruce Alan Wilson