single speed turned geared

  • joshhoxie
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2009
      hey can you put a free radical on a single speed bike?

      i'm looking at a Surly 1x1 and it seems like you could mount the free
      radical on there and make it a geared bike. i dont want a single
      speed, but could i make a surly 1x1 into a geared xtracycle bike?

      seems like the only problem is the drop outs, but that shouldnt matter
      on the free rad?

      let me know

      thanks
    • Devin Quince
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 15, 2009
        My X was a SS for the first 6 months and I would not recommend it if you do any type of hauling.

        --
        Devin Quince
        http://quinceurbanhomestead.blogspot.com/

        Start demanding safe passage on our public roads!

        "Before there were automobiles, and after there will be automobiles, there will be bicycles moving people around for transportation"
        Andy Thornley, program director for the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition

        "Being so close to death makes you realize that you are alive"
        Nels Johson 1988 Iditabike rider

        "Cars are for societies where they have yet to understand what quality of life actually means."
        Elderly Dutch cyclist encountered by Mark Jenkins near the town of Gouda along the Rijn River

        "Biofuels pit the 800 million people with cars against the 800 million who go to bed hungry."
        Lester Brown, Earth Policy Institute

      • Andrew Kreps
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2009
          On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM, joshhoxie <joshhoxie@...> wrote:
          > i'm looking at a Surly 1x1 and it seems like you could mount the free
          > radical on there and make it a geared bike. i dont want a single
          > speed, but could i make a surly 1x1 into a geared xtracycle bike?

          Since the freeradical will have the proper rear hub spacing and
          dropout, the only downside I can think of is that the 1x1 looks to
          only have one set of cable stays -- for the rear brake. There aren't
          any mounts for a rear or front derailleur cable. I'm not sure it's a
          deal breaker, just something to consider.