Re: [rootsradicals] just bought a free radical. What's the best bike to mount it on?

  • Rick Pickett
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11 8:01 PM
      Steve has great points.

      Oh, and welcome! :D

      Depending on your loads and your weight, the rear wheel will provide better performance if it's new, true and 36h.  You can get by with a 32 spoke wheel, but since the majority of the bike's weight is over the rear wheel, you'll be happier in the long run.

      Some people love aluminum frames, say they're super stiff. If you're going on long adventures, steel might be better since you can easily repair steel if you bend it, etc.  Aluminum you can't.

      Nice thing about disc brakes is that a lot of cheaper mechanical versions perform quite well and at low cost.  Tektro is a good bet, heard Hayes are too.

      Get puncture resistant tires.  Schwalbe Big Apples are thick, come in colors and have reflective striping on them.  I've gotten a few flats with my protection-lacking tires and it isn't fun fixing a flat with cargo. :D

      Cheers,
      Rick

      On Feb 11, 2009, at 6:54 PM, joshhoxie wrote:

      so i just got the 26" free radical kit second hand. i had a bike
      lined up to mount it on (Giant Sedona), but it has a bent frame and
      probably wont work. The person who bent the frame, with her car,
      offered up some money to replace it.

      SO What's the best bike to mount it on?

      It has a disc brake caliper on it, so disc brakes would be sweet, but
      i think i can still put cantilever brakes on it. I'm looking for
      either a frame or complete bike for mostly rides under 10 miles
      hauling stuff. i have a road bike for long rides. the new bikes needs
      to be able to handle a hilly city and a hilly suburb which i guess is
      just a matter of gearing ratio.

      any ideas?