Want to haul an extra bike with my X - need design ideas

  • watrout
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
      I have a multiple day trip coming up on a rails-to-trails trail and
      there's going to be multiple stops to ride some single-track along
      the way. I'd like to haul my MTB with my X but don't want to spend
      mucho $$ on the Tray Bien. My initial brainstorm is to use a loop
      (possibly a wide loader or something I make myself) with an extra
      front to back piece that would trap the front tire. I don't see a
      great necessity to completely suspend the extra bike so I was just
      planning on letting the back wheel roll on the ground. I would then
      need to secure the top of the trapped tire to keep everything from
      tipping over.

      So far I haven't seen or heard anything similar to this, so I'm
      wondering if anyone here has tried anything similar or has any better
      ideas than what I've been coming up with so far?

      Also, has anyone here found any off-the-shelf products that might
      work for this? I've tried using conduit before but have yet to find
      one that has the correct diameter. Someone once told me that I need
      to get aluminum conduit but I haven't found that locally.

      Thanks,
      Wes
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
        You can do it on the cheap.

        See:

        http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_1777&bgcolor=black

        http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_3054&bgcolor=black

        http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_3221&bgcolor=black

        There's not much going on -- you want the other bike clamped in close
        to the freeradical and snapdeck, and you want it clamped relatively
        well both high and low. You might want a towel, or some cardboard, to
        protect against damage from the hub and tire.

        An old inner tube, front-to-back across the widest part of the tire,
        might help a lot. The last picture (the raleigh) was the least stable
        because the top was wobbling too much. On another day, I towed that
        bike ten miles, with little or no trouble.

        On 2009-02-11, at 7:59 AM, watrout wrote:

        > I have a multiple day trip coming up on a rails-to-trails trail and
        > there's going to be multiple stops to ride some single-track along
        > the way. I'd like to haul my MTB with my X but don't want to spend
        > mucho $$ on the Tray Bien. My initial brainstorm is to use a loop
        > (possibly a wide loader or something I make myself) with an extra
        > front to back piece that would trap the front tire. I don't see a
        > great necessity to completely suspend the extra bike so I was just
        > planning on letting the back wheel roll on the ground. I would then
        > need to secure the top of the trapped tire to keep everything from
        > tipping over.
        >
        > So far I haven't seen or heard anything similar to this, so I'm
        > wondering if anyone here has tried anything similar or has any better
        > ideas than what I've been coming up with so far?
        >
        > Also, has anyone here found any off-the-shelf products that might
        > work for this? I've tried using conduit before but have yet to find
        > one that has the correct diameter. Someone once told me that I need
        > to get aluminum conduit but I haven't found that locally.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Wes

      • watrout
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
          David,

          Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have mentioned I want to
          set the wheel out away from the freeloaders because I'm planning on
          having them filled up with camping gear. That's why I was thinking
          about the method I described.

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Chase <dr2chase@...>

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
            I think the handling might be affected (for a long trip, especially)
            if the trailing bike is too far off centerline. Maybe, you just wrap
            the front wheel in a beach towel, and pack up against it, and cinch it
            tight? Ideally the wheel can still wiggle relative to the fork, so
            that the trailing bike easily tracks up and down.

            On 2009-02-11, at 11:55 AM, watrout wrote:

            > David,
            >
            > Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have mentioned I want to
            > set the wheel out away from the freeloaders because I'm planning on
            > having them filled up with camping gear. That's why I was thinking
            > about the method I described.

          • JJ Ark
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
              build http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks-T970-Block-Bicycle/dp/B000QJC5F8 onto a piece of wood that is then attached to your x.

              Maybe attach it to the snap-deck?

              JJ
              (who bought one, but hasn't had a chance to mess with it.)

              On 2009-02-11, at 11:55 AM, watrout wrote:

              > David,
              >
              > Thanks for the feedback. I probably should have mentioned I want to
              > set the wheel out away from the freeloaders because I'm planning on
              > having them filled up with camping gear. That's why I was thinking
              > about the method I described.

              JJ Ark

              Charlie: You know, little girl? You freak me the hell out. On the outside, you're just as pretty as a picture. But on the inside, you're a --
              Cameron: Hyper-alloy combat chassis.
              Charlie: Is that a complicated way of saying 'robot'?
              Cameron: Cybernetic organism. Living tissue over a metal endoskeleton.
              Charlie: Okay. Scary robot.
              --Sarah Connor Chronicles, 2008

            • Mighk Wilson
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
                That's something I'd like to work out better too, some day.  Perhaps also to rig a way to mount a BOB trailer.  I found this:

                http://www.flickr.com/photos/8731815@N08/2948793730/sizes/l/
                and
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/8731815@N08/3033102567/

                One might be able to mount a BOB to that with spacers.

                Mighk

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
                  Hey guys, great feedback so far - thanks I appreciate it. A couple
                  issues I see about using a fork mount and I've looked into this
                  option previously:

                  #1: You have to take off the front wheel to mount the extra wheel.
                  Not a big deal, but if I can make it work without taking off the
                  wheel I'd prefer it. Again, mainly because I'll already be pretty
                  packed up and I think it would be eaiser not having to deal with
                  stowing away the loose wheel.

                  #2: In order to make this work well the front fork needs to be able
                  to pivot at the clamping point. I'm not sure how the clamp is
                  mounted in those Flickr photos but unless it pivots on the free
                  radical tube it probably becomes troublesome whenever you encounter
                  uneven surfaces (picture going through a ditch without the trailing
                  bike being able to pivot). I have heard of people mounting an old
                  bike hub to a bar and mounting the front fork to that, which should
                  work fine, but it seemed like that method would be more difficult
                  than what I had in mind (although I'm beginning to if my idea isn't
                  better in theory than in practice).

                  I hope I'm not stifling ideas here, I'm just trying to continue
                  clarifying what I'm looking for.
                • Steve Lange
                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 11, 2009
                    From: "watrout" <watrout@...>
                    > I have a multiple day trip coming up on a rails-to-trails trail and
                    > there's going to be multiple stops to ride some single-track along
                    > the way. I'd like to haul my MTB with my X but don't want to spend
                    > mucho $$ on the Tray Bien.

                    Having done a fair amount of Tray Bien-less bike hauling with my X, I guess I
                    can weigh in. I've mostly done the "stuff the front wheel in one of the
                    Freeloaders" approach and while it works pretty well for most road bikes with
                    steeper geometry, it sucked pretty bad when I tried with my old Schwinn(?)
                    beach cruiser with really slack geo. The headtube was just at a lousy angle
                    and it made the bike tow really poorly (at least until I removed the front
                    wheel and just stuffed the fork in - but then it was really hard to strap down
                    securely).

                    Which has led me to conclude that the best way to "trail a bike" (to borrow a
                    term) is by removing the front wheel and affixing some kind of quick release
                    bracket to the "No Step Step" (as Tone calls it), be it an old front hub (as
                    shown in photos floating around the interwebs and linked at least a few times
                    from this list) or else one of the various pickup truck bed mounting blocks
                    with quickrelease sold by Yakima or Thule (I think the Yakima product is
                    called the Low Rider or some such). This keeps the headtube of the towed bike
                    in the most optimal position for towing, i.e. most similar to how it is normally.

                    I suggest (if you haven't done this already) that you do some experimenting
                    with towing just by sticking the wheel in one of the bags and see how you like
                    it. Remember to strap around the fork/bars/stem only, *not around the frame*,
                    otherwise you'll pretty much cause the entire towed bike to be rigid and not
                    articulable (sp?)... which makes it tow really badly.

                    Oftentimes I find the time and effort I spend trying to engineer (and then
                    re-engineer) these solutions from scratch ends up faring pretty poorly against
                    the pre-sorted solution when all is said and done. Then again, Xtracycle
                    accessories are not cheap and this economy is not great... so I can for sure
                    dig the frugality sentiment.

                    Steve
                  • watrout
                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 12, 2009
                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Lange" <steve@...> wrote:

                      > From: "watrout" <watrout@...>
                      > > I have a multiple day trip coming up on a rails-to-trails trail
                      and
                      > > there's going to be multiple stops to ride some single-track
                      along
                      > > the way. I'd like to haul my MTB with my X but don't want to
                      spend
                      > > mucho $$ on the Tray Bien.
                      >
                      > Having done a fair amount of Tray Bien-less bike hauling with my X,
                      I guess I
                      > can weigh in. I've mostly done the "stuff the front wheel in one of
                      the
                      > Freeloaders" approach and while it works pretty well for most road
                      bikes with
                      > steeper geometry, it sucked pretty bad when I tried with my old
                      Schwinn(?)
                      > beach cruiser with really slack geo. The headtube was just at a
                      lousy angle
                      > and it made the bike tow really poorly (at least until I removed
                      the front
                      > wheel and just stuffed the fork in - but then it was really hard to
                      strap down
                      > securely).
                      >
                      > Which has led me to conclude that the best way to "trail a bike"
                      (to borrow a
                      > term) is by removing the front wheel and affixing some kind of
                      quick release
                      > bracket to the "No Step Step" (as Tone calls it), be it an old
                      front hub (as
                      > shown in photos floating around the interwebs and linked at least a
                      few times
                      > from this list) or else one of the various pickup truck bed
                      mounting blocks
                      > with quickrelease sold by Yakima or Thule (I think the Yakima
                      product is
                      > called the Low Rider or some such). This keeps the headtube of the
                      towed bike
                      > in the most optimal position for towing, i.e. most similar to how
                      it is normally.

                      > I suggest (if you haven't done this already) that you do some
                      experimenting
                      > with towing just by sticking the wheel in one of the bags and see
                      how you like
                      > it. Remember to strap around the fork/bars/stem only, *not around
                      the frame*,
                      > otherwise you'll pretty much cause the entire towed bike to be
                      rigid and not
                      > articulable (sp?)... which makes it tow really badly.
                      >
                      > Oftentimes I find the time and effort I spend trying to engineer
                      (and then
                      > re-engineer) these solutions from scratch ends up faring pretty
                      poorly against
                      > the pre-sorted solution when all is said and done. Then again,
                      Xtracycle
                      > accessories are not cheap and this economy is not great... so I can
                      for sure
                      > dig the frugality sentiment.
                      >
                      > Steve

                      Thanks for the input Steve, I'm glad to hear some personal
                      experiences towards this idea. I think you're right, I'll play
                      around w/ stuffing the wheel in the bag thing and see how that works
                      for me. If nothing else it should let me know whether that method or
                      a variation thereof is even worth pursuing.

                      On a seperate note, I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard any off-the-
                      shelf solutions for tubing that fits in the free-radical. Someone
                      out there has to have found something that works!

                      Wes
                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 12, 2009
                        If people are trailing a bike with some kind of front-fork hitch and they
                        do not want to have to load the hauled bike's front wheel in their
                        FreeLoaders (already overloaded or front wheel is muddy, etc.), just
                        remember... there is no rule against strapping the front wheel of the
                        hauled bike to the frame of the hauled bike itself.
                        _TONE_
                      • Jose
                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 13, 2009
                          Ideally you'll want the fork to turn and the bikes rear tire to be able to
                          follow irregularities on the road.

                          My idea involves the use of an old/cheap front hub with a skewer. You would
                          mount the hub to the front fork as usual, but the hub itself would be
                          mounted to the rear of the radical in some way (like I said just an idea).

                          Regards,

                          Jose

                          (Sent via Sprint Treo755p, so please do not reply with attachments larger
                          than 250k)
                        • Jose
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 14, 2009
                            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jose <joseyahoo1@...> wrote:

                            > Ideally you'll want the fork to turn and the bikes rear tire to be
                            able to
                            > follow irregularities on the road.
                            >
                            > My idea involves the use of an old/cheap front hub with a skewer.
                            You would
                            > mount the hub to the front fork as usual, but the hub itself would
                            be
                            > mounted to the rear of the radical in some way (like I said just
                            an idea).

                            > Regards,
                            >
                            > Jose
                            >
                            > (Sent via Sprint Treo755p, so please do not reply with attachments
                            larger
                            > than 250k)

                            Just expanding on the idea somemore....

                            You might be able to strap the hub in place using a wide hose clamp
                            or two. Clamp it to the radicals lower rear brace. You can even add a
                            a rack on the bike in tow to carry additional loads! Basically you'll
                            turn it into a trailer that doubles as a bike!

                            Another idea is to cut two slots on the snap deck to accept the
                            flanges on the hub. Just don't make the slots too deep or the forks
                            will rub. Next. Cut another pair of slots to slip a hose clamp thru
                            and around the center of the hub.

                            You might need metal pipe of some sort to provide strength and
                            rigidness since the wooden snapdeck may not be strong enough to hold
                            the bikes weight.

                            The pipe would basically go under the snap deck.

                            Thus the sequence of the build would be:

                            The hose clamp would go around the center of the hub (which sits on
                            top of the snap deck) through the slots cut perpendicular to the
                            length of the bike and around the pipe that goes underneath. You
                            might want the pipe long enough so that it extends some what past the
                            v-racks - this setup will basically clamp down on the hub, snap deck
                            and v-racks.

                            Now you just attach the fork of bike to the hub with a skewer. It
                            should retain it's freedom of movement to rotate.

                            I don't see why this wouldn't work. I'm at a shopping mall right now,
                            but when I get home I'll build it up for you and take some shots!

                            Got a bunch of bikes, and hubs at home I can try this on.
                          • Philip Chase
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 15, 2009
                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jose" <joseyahoo1@...> wrote:

                              > Just expanding on the idea somemore....
                              >
                              > You might be able to strap the hub in place using a wide hose clamp
                              > or two. Clamp it to the radicals lower rear brace. You can even add a
                              > a rack on the bike in tow to carry additional loads! Basically you'll
                              > turn it into a trailer that doubles as a bike!

                              It's an idea that rings true. http://www.sweptline.com/trailer_86.jpg

                              Philip
                            • Jose
                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 15, 2009
                                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jose <joseyahoo1@...> wrote:

                                > Ideally you'll want the fork to turn and the bikes rear tire to be
                                able to
                                > follow irregularities on the road.
                                >
                                > My idea involves the use of an old/cheap front hub with a skewer.
                                You would
                                > mount the hub to the front fork as usual, but the hub itself would
                                be
                                > mounted to the rear of the radical in some way (like I said just
                                an idea).

                                > Regards,
                                >
                                > Jose
                                >
                                > (Sent via Sprint Treo755p, so please do not reply with attachments
                                larger
                                > than 250k)

                                I've loaded up my 1st prototype in the Xtracycle group on
                                www.flickr.com - (Silverexpress is my nickname)

                                This was just a mockup, and I wouldn't recommend doing what I did.
                                First off, I used a front disc hub, and it had nice big flanges. What
                                I found first was that the forks touched the v-racks mounts. Second
                                there is a sticker on the that bottom Freeradical tube that says "NO
                                STEP".

                                Still, I'm happy on how it turned out. The trailing bike turns and
                                pivots up and down like it should.

                                So onto the second prototype....
                              • Cathode Ray
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 15, 2009
                                  I have pulled many bikes along behind my xtracycle

                                  usually bikes i find abandoned by the side of the road

                                  no design ideas needed

                                  just pull the front wheel, strap the forks into the freeloader, cinch
                                  it all tight and take off

                                  no need for any additional bits

                                  be free

                                  be radical

                                  ray
                                • Jose
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 15, 2009
                                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jose <joseyahoo1@...> wrote:

                                    > Ideally you'll want the fork to turn and the bikes rear tire to be
                                    able to
                                    > follow irregularities on the road.
                                    >
                                    > My idea involves the use of an old/cheap front hub with a skewer.
                                    You would
                                    > mount the hub to the front fork as usual, but the hub itself would
                                    be
                                    > mounted to the rear of the radical in some way (like I said just
                                    an idea).

                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > Jose
                                    >
                                    > (Sent via Sprint Treo755p, so please do not reply with attachments
                                    larger
                                    > than 250k)

                                    Version 2 -

                                    1. For version two, I plan on using 90 deg angle bracket found at
                                    your local hardware store (here in the USA - Home Depot, Lowes,
                                    Ace...etc sells this stuff)
                                    2. The bracket will be cut slightly wider than the width of the v-
                                    rack mounts.
                                    3. 4 holes will be drilled through the bracket.
                                    4. The holes are for "muffler" type clamps.

                                    The angled bracket will be attached to the lower rear portion of the
                                    Freeradical using the muffler style clamps - one on each side and
                                    clamped around a v-rack mount. The "L" bracket will basically face
                                    rearwards, and in it will be the front hub - secured by hose clamps
                                    like before. You may need to add slits or notches so that the hose
                                    clamps can form securely around the hub, but this is dependent on how
                                    big of an angle bracket you use.

                                    This setup does a few things - 1. it's strength now depends on two
                                    muffler style clamps - (Home depot carries them in various sizes)
                                    much stronger than just hose clamps 2. the cradled hub will allow the
                                    forks to clear the v-rack tubes, and 3. the remaining hose clamps
                                    will now only see momentary inertia when you accelerate on flat
                                    ground; however they will see a pulling force if you go up a hill.

                                    At auto parts store they sell big diameter muffler clamps that might
                                    take the place of the hose clamps holding the hub in place.
                                  • Jose
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 15, 2009
                                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jose" <joseyahoo1@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Jose <joseyahoo1@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Ideally you'll want the fork to turn and the bikes rear tire to
                                      be
                                      > able to
                                      > > follow irregularities on the road.
                                      > >
                                      > > My idea involves the use of an old/cheap front hub with a skewer.
                                      > You would
                                      > > mount the hub to the front fork as usual, but the hub itself
                                      would
                                      > be
                                      > > mounted to the rear of the radical in some way (like I said just
                                      > an idea).
                                      > >

                                      > > Regards,
                                      > >
                                      > > Jose
                                      > >
                                      > > (Sent via Sprint Treo755p, so please do not reply with
                                      attachments
                                      > larger
                                      > > than 250k)
                                      > >

                                      > Version 2 -
                                      >
                                      > 1. For version two, I plan on using 90 deg angle bracket found at
                                      > your local hardware store (here in the USA - Home Depot, Lowes,
                                      > Ace...etc sells this stuff)
                                      > 2. The bracket will be cut slightly wider than the width of the v-
                                      > rack mounts.
                                      > 3. 4 holes will be drilled through the bracket.
                                      > 4. The holes are for "muffler" type clamps.
                                      >
                                      > The angled bracket will be attached to the lower rear portion of
                                      the
                                      > Freeradical using the muffler style clamps - one on each side and
                                      > clamped around a v-rack mount. The "L" bracket will basically face
                                      > rearwards, and in it will be the front hub - secured by hose clamps
                                      > like before. You may need to add slits or notches so that the hose
                                      > clamps can form securely around the hub, but this is dependent on
                                      how
                                      > big of an angle bracket you use.
                                      >
                                      > This setup does a few things - 1. it's strength now depends on two
                                      > muffler style clamps - (Home depot carries them in various sizes)
                                      > much stronger than just hose clamps 2. the cradled hub will allow
                                      the
                                      > forks to clear the v-rack tubes, and 3. the remaining hose clamps
                                      > will now only see momentary inertia when you accelerate on flat
                                      > ground; however they will see a pulling force if you go up a hill.
                                      >
                                      > At auto parts store they sell big diameter muffler clamps that
                                      might
                                      > take the place of the hose clamps holding the hub in place.

                                      Posted pics of this one here....

                                      http://www.flickr.com/groups/xtracycle/pool/
                                    • jeremy.jgrant
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 18, 2009

                                        ^ very cool. These great minds think alike. I finished mine just recently too! I had the same idea about a metal angle cradling the hub and attaching to the xtra frame with U brackets after seeing old hubs bracketed to pickup truck beds . The metal angle seems to protect the hub when I pivot the frame on the ground and it adds rigidity to the frame/hub interconnection.

                                        i added some old innertube with some superglue around the parts that could strike and cut lower legs. i also mounted the hitch  a little above the no step step to compensate for towing 700c and free access to the H rack connection. eventually i'll pickup a wide flange hub (like jose shows) to give more clearance for larger fork ends.

                                        here's some images:

                                        http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ses5ss7TzJNZwvnKT7nQyw?feat=directlink

                                        http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/q2auusQuID-KLGi2iwcbiQ?feat=directlink

                                        http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ODVGP6LQV1-fcZ0TN5Jcyg?feat=directlink

                                      • jeremy.jgrant
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Mar 1, 2009

                                          picture of my hitch in use:  http://flickr.com/photos/14416837@N07/3321295552/

                                          its fun!

                                        • David Dannenberg
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                                            That looks great! How's it feel to ride?

                                            David
                                          • jeremy.jgrant
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Mar 2, 2009
                                              It rides great--i can't tell the difference...except it
                                              has a wider turn radius. It's weird to hear the
                                              freewheel click when I'm pedaling too. Maybe I can
                                              throw a blow up doll on there.