Bicycles/pedestrians and the economic stimulus

  • Jay & Liz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 10, 2009
      We need all our voices now! THis is a call to action from the Bicycle Transportation
      Association from Portland, Oregon. Please call your reps NOW!!

      Thanks to calls from bicycle and pedestrian advocates like you, the Senate refused to hear
      an amendment that would have blocked any Economic Recovery Bill money from being
      spent on biking and walking infrastructure projects. Now we need EVERYONE'S HELP to
      make certain that there is strong support for Transportation Enhancements $ for biking
      and walking in the final bill!

      Support Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects in the Economic Recovery Bill

      The House and the Senate have each passed their own version of the Economic Recovery
      Bill, aimed at creating jobs and stimulating the economy. Both bills include billions for
      transportation infrastructure, but only the House bill includes funding for bicycle and
      pedestrian projects in the Transportation Enhancements program. The House bill includes
      approximately $1.35 billion for Transportation Enhancements of which 50-60% is
      traditionally spent on bicycle and pedestrian projects. The Senate bill does not explicitly
      include Transportation Enhancements, so it's unclear whether this funding will be in the
      final bill.

      We need to make sure Transportation Enhancement funding is in the final bill.

      This week there will be a conference committee where several members of the House and
      several members of the Senate will work together to reconcile the two bills. Conferees
      need to hear that Transportation Enhancements are important to stimulating the economy,
      creating green jobs, and moving us towards a sustainable future.

      CALL TODAY!

      Please call your senators and representative and ask them to tell the Conferees to support
      Transportation Enhancements in the Economic Recovery bill. Tell them:
      Bicycle and pedestrian projects create jobs at the same or better rate than highway
      projects.
      These smaller projects can move quickly to hire local businesses and help local economies.
      Providing safe and convenient bicycle and pedestrian access gives families healthier and
      cheaper transportation options.
      Improving sidewalks and bike lanes can make a downtown a destination further helping
      the local economy.
      Better biking and walking options also help ensure greater energy independence, less
      pollution, and a healthier United States!
      Please share this email alert with all bicyclists and pedestrians you can, and encourage
      them to join you in supporting biking and walking today! Thank you - together we will
      make a big difference!
    • Larry Hogue
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 11, 2009

        Here’s a website that helps you find the contact info for your representative:

        http://thenation.capwiz.com/thenation/directory/congdir.tt

        Larry Hogue

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3846 (20090211) __________

        http://www.eset.com