xtracycle on a Lowrider?

  • Jeff Redding
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
      Helo All,

      Has anyone seen a Lowrider xtracycle? I don't know much about lowrider
      bikes, you don't see many of them in Florida. The bikes probably arn't
      made for heavy loads, but it may be a nice conversion for riding around
      for fun. You can view several different types of lowrider bikes at:
      http://www.bicycledesigner.com

      Click on the Bicycles link on the left. The 26 inch strech bikes would
      look cool with an xtracycle.

      Does anyone know anything about the lowrider bikes?

      thanks,

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
        I would worry about the physics of it. The win of having forces "low"
        on your bike, while you are "high" on the bike, is that you have
        mechanical advantage; you can exert a much smaller force to control
        whatever the weight is doing.

        This even applies to, say, clipping things with your wideloaders; the
        bike just bumps over, and the (large) force applied a few inches off
        the ground, is not so much of a problem up where you are.

        If you are riding low, on the other hand....

        David

        On 2009-02-05, at 9:36 AM, Jeff Redding wrote:

        > Helo All,
        >
        > Has anyone seen a Lowrider xtracycle? I don't know much about lowrider
        > bikes, you don't see many of them in Florida. The bikes probably arn't
        > made for heavy loads, but it may be a nice conversion for riding
        > around
        > for fun. You can view several different types of lowrider bikes at:
        > http://www.bicycledesigner.com
        >
        > Click on the Bicycles link on the left. The 26 inch strech bikes would
        > look cool with an xtracycle.
        >
        > Does anyone know anything about the lowrider bikes?
        >
        > thanks,
        >
        > Jeff

      • Travers, Neil
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
          Do the BikeRubbish ones count as "low Riders". Certainly laid back and
          XtraCycle.

          Unfortunately he seems to have taken away most of his site, but you can
          see some small images at http://www.derekandsara.com/

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
            On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:36 AM, Jeff Redding <jeffredding@...> wrote:
            > The 26 inch strech bikes would look cool with an xtracycle.

            They sure do! I would like to refer you to http://www.bikerubbish.com/
            but, very sadly, Derek's done pulled the plug on that. You can find
            some shots of his Electra Xtras around, though:

            http://www.ecovelo.info/2008/08/13/gallery-dereks-electra-tandem-wxtracycle-conversion/
            http://flickr.com/search/?q=bikerubbish&m=text

            Or:

            http://flickr.com/search/?q=xtracycle+electra
            http://flickr.com/search/?q=xtracycle+lowrider
            http://flickr.com/search/?q=xtracycle+cruiser

            Nathan
          • Travers, Neil
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 5, 2009
              You got there first.
              Not sure why my email still hasn't made it back to me...