Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Newbie - Will this bike work?

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      On 2009-02-02, at 10:38 PM, Jeff Redding wrote:

      > I also want to install a freeradical kit on a new inexpensive bike to
      > sell. I was thinking about using a beach bike because I live near
      > the beach. Walmart also has one which may work well but it has a
      > rear rack already which may be welded to the frame, I am not sure
      > (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804).

      I doubt the rear rack is welded to the frame, but it might interfere
      with the freeradical if you don't take it off.

      I thought the reviews were delightfully shilly.

      You think you'll be able to sell it, freeradical and all, and get your
      money out? I'm a little doubtful.
      > I know it is generally better to use more expensive bikes and parts
      > but I don't have a lot of money. Do people have problems with using a
      > freeradical on a beach bike, or just using department store bikes
      > because they are not made as well?

      I am not strictly sure that they not made as well; however there is
      the issue of how well they were assembled, and sort of a matter of
      "support your local bike shop". I would worry most about the wheels.

      Even though I ride one, I am wary of aluminum bikes. It will not take
      as much abuse as steel will, cannot be easily bent and re-bent. (It
      also is not easily welded, but since I don't know anyone who's ever
      had anything welded on their bike, I have to discount that. I HAVE
      sprung more than one steel frame over the years.)