Re: Newbie - Will this bike work?

  • Jeff Redding
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2 7:38 PM
      Thanks Rick.

      I will probably purchase more than one freeradical kit. I plan to
      install one on the bike I normally ride which is a Cruzbike Freerider
      (www.cruzbike.com). This has been done before and I don't anticipate
      any problems.

      I also want to install a freeradical kit on a new inexpensive bike to
      sell. I was thinking about using a beach bike because I live near
      the beach. Walmart also has one which may work well but it has a
      rear rack already which may be welded to the frame, I am not sure
      (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804).

      I know it is generally better to use more expensive bikes and parts
      but I don't have a lot of money. Do people have problems with using a
      freeradical on a beach bike, or just using department store bikes
      because they are not made as well?

      thanks,

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2 7:56 PM
        On 2009-02-02, at 10:38 PM, Jeff Redding wrote:

        > I also want to install a freeradical kit on a new inexpensive bike to
        > sell. I was thinking about using a beach bike because I live near
        > the beach. Walmart also has one which may work well but it has a
        > rear rack already which may be welded to the frame, I am not sure
        > (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804).

        I doubt the rear rack is welded to the frame, but it might interfere
        with the freeradical if you don't take it off.

        I thought the reviews were delightfully shilly.

        You think you'll be able to sell it, freeradical and all, and get your
        money out? I'm a little doubtful.
        > I know it is generally better to use more expensive bikes and parts
        > but I don't have a lot of money. Do people have problems with using a
        > freeradical on a beach bike, or just using department store bikes
        > because they are not made as well?

        I am not strictly sure that they not made as well; however there is
        the issue of how well they were assembled, and sort of a matter of
        "support your local bike shop". I would worry most about the wheels.

        Even though I ride one, I am wary of aluminum bikes. It will not take
        as much abuse as steel will, cannot be easily bent and re-bent. (It
        also is not easily welded, but since I don't know anyone who's ever
        had anything welded on their bike, I have to discount that. I HAVE
        sprung more than one steel frame over the years.)