Newbie - Will this bike work?

  • Jeff Redding
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
      Hello All,

      I should be recieving my freeradical kit this week and was thinking
      about attaching it to an inexpensive toy-r-us Schwinn Southport 26"
      Men's Cruiser Bicycle (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?
      productId=2856718).

      Do you think I would have any problems with using this beach bike?

      thanks,

      Jeff in Sarasota, FL
    • Rick Pickett
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
        Hey Jeff, welcome to the longtail lifestyle!

        The only points of consideration for a bike like the southport would be:

        • quality of steel used. I know it's Schwinn's name, but at a price point that Toys'RUs offers, you might be getting low-grade steel that could fail under the additional load of a FreeRadical and gear.  The photos online aren't large enough to inspect with serious detail.
        • the thin chainstays are scary thin, kinda iffy possibly too.
        • that derailleur is for light use, as are most of the other components on the bike, when you're hauling a larger bike around, parts get extra wear depending on your riding style.

        You may get along just fine with this bike as the host, but only if you keep it chill when riding and don't bang it around and on relatively flat areas.

        Have you tried looking up your closest Craigslisting?  I did a quick search and found this Schwinn.

        Has a bit more robustness in the bike, I know you're aiming for a cruiser.  Just don't get anything with a coaster brake.  Check out your local bike shops too, they might be clearing out some 2008 inventory and you could get a special deal.

        Either way, err on the side of robustness, you'll have a longer living Xtracycle in the end.

        Peace!

        Rick

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
          Thanks Rick.

          I will probably purchase more than one freeradical kit. I plan to
          install one on the bike I normally ride which is a Cruzbike Freerider
          (www.cruzbike.com). This has been done before and I don't anticipate
          any problems.

          I also want to install a freeradical kit on a new inexpensive bike to
          sell. I was thinking about using a beach bike because I live near
          the beach. Walmart also has one which may work well but it has a
          rear rack already which may be welded to the frame, I am not sure
          (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804).

          I know it is generally better to use more expensive bikes and parts
          but I don't have a lot of money. Do people have problems with using a
          freeradical on a beach bike, or just using department store bikes
          because they are not made as well?

          thanks,

          Jeff
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2009
            On 2009-02-02, at 10:38 PM, Jeff Redding wrote:

            > I also want to install a freeradical kit on a new inexpensive bike to
            > sell. I was thinking about using a beach bike because I live near
            > the beach. Walmart also has one which may work well but it has a
            > rear rack already which may be welded to the frame, I am not sure
            > (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585804).

            I doubt the rear rack is welded to the frame, but it might interfere
            with the freeradical if you don't take it off.

            I thought the reviews were delightfully shilly.

            You think you'll be able to sell it, freeradical and all, and get your
            money out? I'm a little doubtful.
            > I know it is generally better to use more expensive bikes and parts
            > but I don't have a lot of money. Do people have problems with using a
            > freeradical on a beach bike, or just using department store bikes
            > because they are not made as well?

            I am not strictly sure that they not made as well; however there is
            the issue of how well they were assembled, and sort of a matter of
            "support your local bike shop". I would worry most about the wheels.

            Even though I ride one, I am wary of aluminum bikes. It will not take
            as much abuse as steel will, cannot be easily bent and re-bent. (It
            also is not easily welded, but since I don't know anyone who's ever
            had anything welded on their bike, I have to discount that. I HAVE
            sprung more than one steel frame over the years.)