Re: burley trailer with an x

  • watrout
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "wildehandyman01"
      <johnwilde@...>
      wrote:

      > I was at a yard sale today and bought a Burley flatbed trailer. It
      is
      > supposed to attach to the left chainstay & seatstay on a non xed
      bike.
      > I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good method of using it
      > with my x. I am thinking of replacing the factory hitch/drawbar with
      > the one that the Carry Freedom bamboo trailer uses. Any input would
      be
      > appreciated. Thank you in advance.
      > Peace and Blessings,
      > John

      I use a Chariot not a Burley, but the Burley hitch that uses a ball &
      socket (not the type that wedges in the rear trangle) is very similar
      to the one on the Chariot. Anyway, I just went to the hardware
      store,
      got a long threaded rod (I think mine was about 8" long). The
      diameter
      of the rod should be the largest that will still fit through the hole
      on the hitch receiver. I also picked up 2 self-locking nuts and 2
      rod
      collars (this was the only tricky part but I just brought my X into
      the
      store so I could make sure the collar fit inside the back/bottom tube
      of the X), and lastly some large washers (larger than the X's
      tubing).
      Slide the rod through the back tube, put the collars on (I kept mine
      as
      far apart as possible), slide the washers on, then slide the hitch
      receiver on the left side, then the nuts on both sides. Tighten nuts
      until everything is snug but loose enough that the hitch can still
      rotate a little. The nice thing about this setup is it doesn't come
      into contact with the freeloaders and there is NO turning penalty
      (you
      can't bind the bike with the trailer like on a regular bike setup).
      The only disadvantage is it makes the rig pretty long (but it's
      pretty
      long already so it's really not that noticable). I suppose the
      weight
      of the rod w/ collars could be a disadvantage too, but if your riding
      an X I'm guessing you're not counting grams!

      I don't have any closeups of the hitch but here are a few pictures of
      the whole rig. If someone wants to see closeups of the hitch let me
      know and I can go snap a few.

      /1
      321871744/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

      /8
      61386888/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc
    • watrout
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2009

        > I use a Chariot not a Burley, but the Burley hitch that uses a ball &
        > socket (not the type that wedges in the rear trangle) is very similar
        > to the one on the Chariot. Anyway, I just went to the hardware
        > store,
        > got a long threaded rod (I think mine was about 8" long). The
        > diameter
        > of the rod should be the largest that will still fit through the hole
        > on the hitch receiver. I also picked up 2 self-locking nuts and 2
        > rod
        > collars (this was the only tricky part but I just brought my X into
        > the
        > store so I could make sure the collar fit inside the back/bottom tube
        > of the X), and lastly some large washers (larger than the X's
        > tubing).
        > Slide the rod through the back tube, put the collars on (I kept mine
        > as
        > far apart as possible), slide the washers on, then slide the hitch
        > receiver on the left side, then the nuts on both sides. Tighten nuts
        > until everything is snug but loose enough that the hitch can still
        > rotate a little. The nice thing about this setup is it doesn't come
        > into contact with the freeloaders and there is NO turning penalty
        > (you
        > can't bind the bike with the trailer like on a regular bike setup).
        > The only disadvantage is it makes the rig pretty long (but it's
        > pretty
        > long already so it's really not that noticable). I suppose the
        > weight
        > of the rod w/ collars could be a disadvantage too, but if your riding
        > an X I'm guessing you're not counting grams!
        >
        > I don't have any closeups of the hitch but here are a few pictures of
        > the whole rig. If someone wants to see closeups of the hitch let me
        > know and I can go snap a few.

        > /1
        > 321871744/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

        > /8
        > 61386888/view?picmode=original&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

        Sorry, my links didn't work - 2nd try - If these don't work just look at my album "Wes' X"

        Pic1

        Pic2

      • Geoff Cisler
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 3, 2009
          I personally would love to see some more pictures. I'm planning on
          using my chariot, once i finish up my bike build, and would be
          interested in seeing more specifics. and I got kind of lost in the
          verbal description, but it is 7am right now...

          geoff
          jamaica plain, ma

          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 15, 2009
            Geoff,

            Sorry to take so long to get back to you. Finally got the camera out
            and snapped some pics of my hitch design. Again, if any of the links
            don't work just look for Wes' X on the photos page (there are also
            some additional pictures of the hitch there that I didn't link to in
            this post).

            Here's a view of the hitch installed:

            /910409929/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

            Note the rear fender placement in this picture if you're planning on
            hooking up a trailer - it's rotated much lower than most people do
            but you have to have it that low to keep the road muck of your little
            one. I actually added that reflective triangle mainly to serve as a
            mud flap extension.

            Here's what the hitch setup looks like removed:

            /1374329296/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

            Here's a closeup of the collar/spacer I used for my setup:

            /1662199036/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

            I also thought of using a wooden dowel with a hole drilled through
            it, or a rubber or plastic bushing of some sort, but these were the
            first thing I saw at the hardware store that seemed to really fit the
            bill.

            This last picture is supposed to show the turning radius of a trailer
            with the hitch mounted as I have it, but I think primarily it just
            shows how dirty my garage is...oh well!

            /1728383457/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

            Bottom line, with this setup I've never come even close to binding
            the trailer in
            real-life riding. When I was pulling the trailer before the X I had
            to pay a lot closer attention to how sharp I was turning (granted the
            bike had a lot tighter turning radius back then too) and I would
            occasionally hit the attachment arm with the back wheel.

            Another note: Make sure and use self-locking nuts. I'm not sure if
            it's 100% necessary, but I leave the assembly loose enough that the
            hitch socket can rotate semi-freely. The chariot hitch design has a
            pretty good range of motion, but I like to have the hitch able to
            move rather than stressing the parts if such an occasion arises (say
            a steep ditch). I've only had this approach back-fire on me 1 time
            and that was when I had about 80-90 pounds of groceries in the back
            of the chariot (which you aren't going to be able to do unless you've
            had a custom bag made too) which put a lot of upward force on the
            hitch (groceries hang behind the wheels which tries to send the hitch
            skyward) and on the way home I noticed the trailer swerving badly
            after a sizable bump. I stopped and found the hitch had rotated 180
            degrees. I rotated it back to it's normal position and didn't have
            any further trouble with it. Since then I've learned to pack the X
            heavy and the trailer light (if I even have to use the trailer which
            is probably less than 50% of my shopping trips).

            --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Cisler" <gcisler@...>
            wrote:

            > I personally would love to see some more pictures. I'm planning on
            > using my chariot, once i finish up my bike build, and would be
            > interested in seeing more specifics. and I got kind of lost in the
            > verbal description, but it is 7am right now...
            >
            > geoff
            > jamaica plain, ma

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 15, 2009

              I have a Trek "Transit" that uses that same hitch and ball system,  I rigged up a mount on the center of the rear of the X that holds both the Trek hitch and the hitch ball for my small utility trailer.  I will have to get a photo of that.  At some point, I think I will have to put a hitch on the back of the transit so that I can haul the kids AND the trailer.  but with the X it is a moot point and that would be for fun mostly.

              mark
            • watrout
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 17, 2009