Re: [rootsradicals] A stop at the mall & depression

  • MH
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 23, 2009
      OKay, the highway reports shows a very downward trend for
      November 2008 even with unleaded gasoline below $2 a US gallon.
      -Mark Hoagy

      Nov 2008 Traffic Volume Trends - Travel on all roads and streets changed by
      -5.3 percent for November 2008 as compared with November
      2007.

    • beth hamon
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 25, 2009
        Hey Morgan. I hear you. I know how crazy it can be to live in the world sometimes.

        1. I have found that I am less depressed if I avoid malls altogether. I do most of my
        shopping at local one-off stores, farmers markets and the occasional dumpster. I also
        barter quite a lot with neighbors and friends.

        1b. One response to the depression is to work on building up local networks good people
        who share your vision of a more sensible and sustainable world. My partner and I are
        actively doing this (I with bikes and she with local food issues) and it has really begun to
        make a difference. I swap reclaimed bike parts for fresh eggs and other produce, I trade
        bike repairs for massage and accupunture, and we grow a lot of our own vegetables. It all
        helps.

        2. If you walk a faith path of any sort, consider hanging out periodically and regularly with
        others who share your beliefs. Studies show that when you share your faith in a communal
        setting you definitely experience more empowerment and less depression.

        3. Finally, consider the fantastic set of skills you possess and bide your time. Like you, I
        work in a bike shop, and I know that someday my skills will become invaluable to many,
        many people. Meanwhile, hang onto your tools, keep your skills sharp and keep pedaling
        your bike. There will be hard days -- we all experience them -- but they are not the only
        days we have.

        Happy riding --Beth