Re: Howdy from Chicago

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 6, 2006
      I'm determined to recycle cans and win time trials until I've got
      enough for the BLENDER.
      Soon as we can find the batteries for the camera, I'll take a few
      shots :-) Somehow (for a change!) I got missed by the media at the
      Illini Chill, so Central Illinois didn't see the X with the skunk and
      walrus (stuffed) peeking out from the backsides on the 22-mile ride
      through the blustery prairie. The riders did, though... there might be
      a fourth and fifth and sixth X in Champoo-Banana before long..

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "stephan croisant"
      <scroisant@...> wrote:

      > Hey Roots Radicals!
      > Ive been using my xtracycle for about two years here in Chicago.
      > The perfect winter bike! Ive recently added the "down low glow" light
      > system.
      > It turns alot of heads which is alot better than feeling invisible
      at night!

      > Lately, I've been using it for shopping and commuting. It works
      great!
      > But when I get some extra cash I want design a crazy sound system for
      > critical mass,entertaining the locals etc.
      >
      > Ive been really oogling the stokemonkey lately. Man,I want one
      of those!
      > Does any body out there in Rootsradical land have any experience
      with them?

      > I attached a picture of me and my xtra,not sure if I did it right?!?
      > Im new to computers.
      > How do I send a pic to a group?
      >
      > Anybody else have pictures of their machine?
      >
      > -steve in chicago
      > signing out

    • Susan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
        What sort of tripped me into the riding in the rain category was
        getting caught in it a time or two and realizing that, just like
        riding in the cold, it really wasn't miserable (like walking when
        you're cold and wet would be).
        I have a pair of expensive wicking tights from Champaign Surplus
        that really do pull water out, so if I've got those on under sweats
        the rain doesn't get through to the skin. Two layers and then two
        jackets means the same thing applies to the top layer.
        Visibility can be an issue - fortunately I had amber sunglasses the
        one time I got caught in a gullywasher, and it wasn't coming *at* me.
        Let's face it, if it might spawn a tornado, I shouldn't be out in it.
        THose pass in a few minutes, usually.
        So far I haven't ridden in a steady downpour except that once. (I
        haven't had to; the weather likes me. COuldn't be the geography
        causing storms to break up and go around Champaign-Urbana; must be me!)

      • TheJonesgal@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
          What kind of jackets do you wear or does it matter?

          The tights sound like a good idea too. I'll check on them.

          I bet the people in your area are grateful that you bike and keep the huge rains away. :)

        • Susan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2006
            Basic windbreakers - I've got two that are lined and one or two that
            are just nylon, so usually I wear a lined one under an unlined one.
            One of 'em has lots of reflective stuff on the sleeves and it's bright
            yellow... I do rather like being visible.

            And basically any of the stuff people wear skiing works. (The
            snowmobiling suit I got when I rode a motorcycle doesn't, though -
            can't bend my knees enough.)

            They call me the 'weather goddess' :-)