Re: [rootsradicals] Re: bike powered cell phone charger

  • Paul Rychnovsky
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 11, 2007
    • Ben Rosenthal
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 11, 2007
        Right. That's the product I said I bought a couple years ago but haven't installed yet.

        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007

          Paul,

                      You posted a link to a green-shopping web site in the UK, which you said still had some stock left of the Pedal & Power chargers, but when I followed your link I could not find the Pedal & Power chargers anywhere on their site. Did you get the URL correct, or do you think the product is actually out of stock and they updated their site?

          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007

            Juergen,

                        Do you have any photos and/or links of the BionX electric assist system you said you have on your Xtracycle?

            _TONE_

          • Juergen Weichert
            Message 5 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007
              Here is a link to the company, BionX www.bionx.ca

              A link to my own site: www.acclivity.ca

              I have some photos and will post them now. I will send the links in a
              moment.

              Juergen

              Tone wrote:

              > Juergen,
              >
              > Do you have any photos and/or links of the BionX electric
              > assist system you said you have on your Xtracycle?
              >
              > _/TONE/_

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007
                Hi Tone

                Here are some photos. The bike is a standard steel MTB, nothing special
                except equipped with Xtracycle of course. The assist system is a BionX
                PL-350.

                Bike: http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3110.jpg
                Bringing home Christmas tree: http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_2931.jpg
                Hauling groceries: http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3013.jpg

                Here are a couple I have equipped for others (donor bike is Electra Townie):
                http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/ottlaunch-1.jpg
                http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5631.JPG

                Our previous Mayor taking one for a ride:
                http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5668.JPG

                Juergen

                Tone wrote:

                > Juergen,
                >
                > Do you have any photos and/or links of the BionX electric
                > assist system you said you have on your Xtracycle?
                >
                > _/TONE/_

              • Paul Rychnovsky
                Message 7 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007
                  Tone
                  I must have purchased the last two! sorry :-(
                  Paul

                  Message 8 of 26 , Jan 19, 2007

                    Juergen,

                                I looked through those photos and links to the BionX site. You had mentioned you could prop up your back wheel on a strong center stand to pedal your bike in a stationary position. I believe you said that could potentially result in the ability to charge up the BionX battery in order to power a cell phone, iPod, laptop, etc.

                                When looking through the BionX web site there does not seem to be any specific mention of such a possible function, so I am wondering how you would go about charging up such devices with your BionX battery/system. Is there some sort of output outlet, like perhaps something like a car cigarette lighter? The site does mention how the system can be set to a generative setting, and how the system is smart enough to set itself automatically to a generative state while going downhill and braking, etc.

                                Thanks for the links and info.

                    _TONE_

                  • Ellen Stoune Duralia
                    Message 9 of 26 , Jan 20, 2007
                      Re: Xtra with BionX assist - was  Re: [rootsradicals] bike powered cell phone charger Hi! Thanks for sharing the photos :)

                      I am curious, what made you choose the BionX system over other electric assist kits?

                      Thanks for the info,
                      Ellen

                      Tone wrote:

                      > Juergen,
                      >
                      >             Do you have any photos and/or links of the BionX electric
                      > assist system you said you have on your Xtracycle?
                      >
                      > _/TONE/_

                    • jparks781
                      Message 10 of 26 , Jan 20, 2007
                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ellen wrote:

                        > I am curious, what made you choose the BionX system over other electric
                        > assist kits?

                        Ellen, I also have a Bionx system on an Xtracycle. My donor bike is a
                        Bridgestone XO-3 that is a bit too small for me, and I installed the
                        Xtracycle in fall of 2001. I installed the Bionx last fall and really
                        haven't put too many miles on it. My commute is about 10 - 15 miles
                        round trip (depending on the route I choose) and as long as I don't
                        set the thing to full blast for the whole ride I have capacity to
                        spare, and that's with the 24V NiMH battery version that I've got.

                        I bought the Bionx because of a review I read in A-to-B magazine which
                        is a great little magazine published in the UK that has quite a bit of
                        focus on folders and electric bikes. (Also a bit on rail transport
                        policy etc. in the UK.) The review was positive and it described the
                        system well. The reason I felt I wanted to try it out was because it
                        is a modern motor / controller design, with regenerative capability.

                        I actually owned the Bionx system for over a year before installing
                        it. I was a little conflicted about it, because I didn't feel I
                        really needed it but I was very interested in the technology, but I
                        didn't want to use a motorized bike on the bike path which I used some
                        with my then 3-year-old in the Peapod on the back. Now he's on his
                        own two-wheeler and I certainly don't need the motor drive to keep up
                        with him on the bike path, so the Xtracycle was freed up to install
                        the Bionx system. Really I finally got around to it because of a
                        recommendation I got from an acquaintance in the bike advocacy network
                        here in Boston who said (from his experience) I wouldn't regret it and
                        really come to enjoy it. And he was right - it really is nice to
                        have. At first, I thought 'holy crap this thing is heavy, no way will
                        I be able to ride without the power assist on'. But the Xtracycle /
                        XO-3 was already a tank with all the junk I haul around in the
                        freeloaders all the time anyway, and the Bionx system isn't the most
                        at fault. I've even gotten on since the installation and ridden away
                        without remembering to turn the thing on. These days I mostly use it
                        to help me get up hills without slowing down to a crawl.

                        The regen works. But it is of only fractional benefit, so you don't
                        end up at the bottom of a hill that you've gone over with the same
                        power left in the battery that you had when you started. But it
                        really does work, and I really like the way I don't have to actually
                        make the rear brake pads touch the rim anymore under normal operation.
                        With the hall-effect switch mounted on the rear brake lever, as soon
                        as the lever is pulled in at all (just enough to take up some of the
                        tension in the brake cable) the full regen kicks in and you slow down.

                        So would I do it again? Well, maybe. I'm getting a Big Dummy as soon
                        as they're available, and my plan is to put a Stokemonkey on it.
                        Because I really dig the Xtracycle concept and I want to support the
                        Clever Chimp who's gone out on his own now, self-employed with a
                        product specifically designed for the Xtracycle / Longtail market. If
                        I can convince my wife to use the bike instead of her car around
                        town, we'll keep the Xtracycle / XO-3 / Bionx for her, otherwise it'll
                        be for sale in June or July (I hope - Surly I'm counting on you...).
                        But the Bionx is a solid system and I have no complaints. I didn't
                        know about the Stokemonkey when I ordered the Bionx, and I didn't
                        consider any other assist kits- most that I'd seen in passing were old
                        technology, DC motors with brushes, no regen. Now that I've used the
                        regen, it's no longer a requirement for me on a bike like it will be
                        when I get around to converting a car to battery electric (someday?
                        don't hold your breath). I guess it's because the frictional losses
                        in the bike application are a greater proportion of the total load
                        than in the car application, and the speeds and weights are lower, so
                        there is less kinetic energy to be regained when slowing the vehicle.

                        Anyway, I'd say if you're considering the Bionx for anything other
                        than a Xtracycle, it'd be my top pick; only because Todd is so
                        committed to making such a great product for the Xtracycle market am I
                        jumping ship to the Stokemonkey. (well, then there's the name thing -
                        I'll be much happier on a big dummy with a stokemonkey than with
                        something that is supposed to make me think I'm the 6 million dollar man)

                        Joel
                      • Todd Fahrner
                        Message 11 of 26 , Jan 21, 2007
                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "jparks781" <joel.parks@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Ellen wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I am curious, what made you choose the BionX system over other
                          > > electric assist kits?

                          I'm the Stokemonkey guy, so I didn't want to insert my opinions into
                          this thread early, but Joel's reply is just so inviting. I think the
                          Bionx is a very good implementation of a very different design approach
                          than Stokemonkey took. I've ridden one briefly and found it impressive
                          in its own way. There's some functional overlap of course, but enough
                          difference that I don't think of it as a competing system. The two
                          systems meet different sets of needs/wants.

                          I think the Bionx approach is good for helping people of varying
                          fitness levels perform like reasonable athletes with less sweat, within
                          a certain modest range. Stokemonkey is made to help avid cyclists do
                          work that almost nobody attempts on a bike, regardless of their
                          condition. I think Bionx has better chances of getting non-bikers onto
                          bikes than Stokemonkey; Stokemonkey is made to keep bikers out of cars
                          when human power alone just won't cut it. Bionx is several pounds
                          lighter, mechanically simpler, and unlikely to intimidate anybody;
                          Stokemonkey is just way more capable at the expense of those other
                          things.

                          The main thing is torque. I can pretty much guarantee that if you can
                          strap it to your Xtracycle, Stokemonkey will let you get it up any
                          hill. I've gotten 480 lbs (gross) up a 31.5% block in San Francisco
                          (stairs instead of a sidewalk). I'm also sure that if you take the much
                          lesser maximum loaded climbing capacity of the Bionx (let's say it's
                          100 lbs cargo up a 5% grade at 8mph -- just making this up),
                          Stokemonkey will match that performance at a much higher level of
                          electrical efficiency. I'm confident that Stokemonkey's ability to use
                          all your bike's gears to keep efficiency high, in climbing and cargo
                          applications especially, far outweighs the range benefits of Bionx's
                          regenerative braking. (I see regenerative braking for assisted bicycles
                          as 95% marketing, 5% engineering genius.)

                          When people want to put Stokemonkey on non-cargo-capable bikes, I tell
                          them there's no way they need much of what Stokemonkey was designed to
                          do. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Bionx to them, however, if they
                          found their regular bike too much of a chore to ride 20 miles. I can
                          also see Bionx being a good match even with Xtracycles if you don't
                          intend to haul passengers or similar heavy loads in hills much, and if
                          you put a premium on ease of use for novice cyclists. Juergen's
                          outfitting a fleet of Xtracyclical Electra Townies for Ottawa's
                          lightbulb delivery program is a good example: I'd worry about screening
                          a random bunch of lightbulb delivery people against a list like this:
                          http://cleverchimp.com/products/stokemonkey/warnings/ . Personally I'd
                          be fine delivering poofy lightbulbs in flat country without
                          assistance... or maybe the headwinds were fierce and the schedule
                          tight?

                          > Ellen, I also have a Bionx system on an Xtracycle. My donor bike is
                          > a Bridgestone XO-3 that is a bit too small for me, and I installed
                          > the Xtracycle in fall of 2001. I installed the Bionx last fall and
                          > really haven't put too many miles on it. My commute is about 10 - 15
                          > miles round trip (depending on the route I choose) and as long as I
                          > don't set the thing to full blast for the whole ride I have capacity
                          > to spare, and that's with the 24V NiMH battery version that I've got.

                          Note that Stokemonkey's smallest battery has a third more capacity,
                          nominally, than Bionx's. This isn't a dig; it's a reflection of Bionx's
                          emphasis on light weight and generally more modest level of power
                          assistance. If Bionx feels like plenty of help, and a bit too much
                          weight, then Stokemonkey is worse: heavier and overkill.

                          On the other hand, I recently sold Stokemonkey to a fellow whose
                          commute is 40 miles with 2000' of climbing each way. He does it on one
                          of my large batteries, recharging at work. He's clearly a strong
                          cyclist, so I won't cite this as typical (I'm going to wait a couple
                          months before I blog it). But I think it says a lot that the 40-lb
                          system more than pulls its weight over 80 miles and 4000' climbing
                          daily.

                          > I bought the Bionx because of a review I read in A-to-B magazine
                          > which is a great little magazine published in the UK that has quite a
                          > bit of focus on folders and electric bikes.

                          I'm angling to get Stokemonkey reviewed there, too. Pity it's too
                          powerful and lacking the speed restrictions necessary for UK or EU
                          legality as a bicycle.

                          > Anyway, I'd say if you're considering the Bionx for anything other
                          > than a Xtracycle, it'd be my top pick; only because Todd is so
                          > committed to making such a great product for the Xtracycle market am
                          > I jumping ship to the Stokemonkey.

                          I appreciate the support, but really you should consider whether it
                          meets your needs first! Recently an early customer resold his system
                          because it was basically overkill. He's car-free in Boston and found
                          happily that human power is enough for him.

                          > (well, then there's the name thing - I'll be much happier on a big
                          > dummy with a stokemonkey than with something that is supposed to make
                          > me think I'm the 6 million dollar man)

                          Speaking of names, I tagged an image on my blog with the initials for
                          Big Dummy Stokemonkey, and am drawing search engine traffic from porn
                          seekers in China:

                          http://image.cn.yahoo.com/searchdtl_v3.html?p=bdsm&sf=&sel=3&pid=yisou
                        • Ellen Stoune Duralia
                          Message 12 of 26 , Jan 22, 2007
                            Re: Xtra with BionX assist - was  Re: [rootsradicals] bike powered cell phone charge Joel, thank you for your detailed response! And Todd, thank you for educating me on the benefits of the Stokemonkey when more hauling capacity is needed.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Jan 22, 2007
                              Hi Tone

                              Yes - BionX have a trainer available. It is a stand that props up the
                              rear wheel and supports the bike for indoor use.

                              The best use of the stored energy would be to use the battery later to
                              power your "outside" bike for riding. Alternatively you could order your
                              battery pack with a DC/DC converter option. The output is available at
                              6V or 12V on a small jack. This would allow you to tap into the battery
                              reservoir to power small electronics as you suggest. They don't really
                              advertise this option but it is available to dealers on special order. I
                              will be ordering some of my batteries for 2007 with this option. It is
                              also useful for powering lights on your bike so you don't have to carry
                              multiple other battery packs. (short days - pretty dark in winter up here)

                              Xtracycle content: I had my X in the shop recently to swap over to
                              winter tires and install fenders. I REALLY miss it - especially when
                              going for groceries.

                              Car-Free content: I made it through the first three weeks of 2007 car
                              free. Today I drove it for the first time in 2007. Thanks Xtracycle for
                              helping make this possible! :-)

                              Juergen

                              Tone wrote:

                              > Juergen,
                              >
                              > I looked through those photos and links to the BionX site.
                              > You had mentioned you could prop up your back wheel on a strong center
                              > stand to pedal your bike in a stationary position. I believe you said
                              > that could potentially result in the ability to charge up the BionX
                              > battery in order to power a cell phone, iPod, laptop, etc.
                              >

                              > When looking through the BionX web site there does not
                              > seem to be any specific mention of such a possible function, so I am
                              > wondering how you would go about charging up such devices with your
                              > BionX battery/system. Is there some sort of output outlet, like
                              > perhaps something like a car cigarette lighter? The site does mention
                              > how the system can be set to a generative setting, and how the system
                              > is smart enough to set itself automatically to a generative state
                              > while going downhill and braking, etc.
                              >
                              > Thanks for the links and info.
                              >
                              > _/TONE/_

                            • Juergen Weichert
                              Message 14 of 26 , Jan 22, 2007
                                Hi Ellen

                                I have been experimenting with (and selling) electric assist units for
                                several years now. I have ridden just about every assist system
                                available on the market aside from Todd's clever and capable StokeMonkey
                                and the Cyclone system. I find hub motors very nice because they are
                                conceptually simple and easy to install. They require no additional
                                gearing or external mechanical complexity and are virtually silent and
                                invisible. There are some good ones available. In my opinion the BionX
                                is the "best of breed" right now.

                                They are made in Canada, are light weight while providing sufficient
                                assist (not "overpowered") and have excellent warranty and dealer
                                support. They now also have several models available to suit most
                                performance and budget levels.

                                Feel free to contact me off-list for more details if you like. I don't
                                mind posting more here but would like to remain considerate of this
                                list's threshold for "commercial" content. Others might like to chime in
                                though if there are more questions to share.

                                Juergen

                                Ellen Stoune Duralia wrote:

                                > Hi! Thanks for sharing the photos :)
                                >
                                > I am curious, what made you choose the BionX system over other
                                > electric assist kits?
                                >
                                > Thanks for the info,
                                > Ellen
                                >
                                > On 1/19/07 3:53 PM, "Juergen Weichert" <juergen@...> wrote:
                                >

                                > Hi Tone
                                >
                                > Here are some photos. The bike is a standard steel MTB, nothing
                                > special
                                > except equipped with Xtracycle of course. The assist system is a
                                > BionX
                                > PL-350.
                                >
                                > Bike: http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3110.jpg
                                > <http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3110.jpg>
                                > Bringing home Christmas tree:
                                > http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_2931.jpg
                                > <http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_2931.jpg>
                                > Hauling groceries: http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3013.jpg
                                > <http://www.acclivity.ca/xtracycle/IMG_3013.jpg>
                                >
                                > Here are a couple I have equipped for others (donor bike is
                                > Electra Townie):
                                > http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/ottlaunch-1.jpg
                                > <http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/ottlaunch-1.jpg>
                                > http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5631.JPG
                                > <http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5631.JPG>
                                >
                                > Our previous Mayor taking one for a ride:
                                > http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5668.JPG
                                > <http://www.onechange.org/changes/showimg.php?file=/ottawalaunch/DSCN5668.JPG>
                                >
                                > Juergen
                                >
                                > Tone wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Juergen,
                                > >
                                > > Do you have any photos and/or links of the BionX
                                > electric
                                > > assist system you said you have on your Xtracycle?
                                > >
                                > > _/TONE/_

                              • Juergen Weichert
                                Message 15 of 26 , Jan 22, 2007
                                  I just remembered I have this video to share. Here is an enthusiastic
                                  fellow who has just taken delivery of his BionX PL-350 equipped
                                  Xtracycle bike: http://www.acclivity.ca/video/DB2006.wmv

                                  Juergen

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jan 22, 2007

                                    Juergen,

                                                I think what you last said was what I wanted to hear. I already have a trainer stand, so I would not have to order the BionX trainer. I suspect it would not matter though because ideally my intent would not involve pre-charging the BionX battery… either by plugging it into an outlet or riding the bike on a trainer beforehand. What I am primarily interested in for using a battery and on-board charging system is to charge up the battery while riding, so I can have power to charge up electronic devices while touring, etc.

                                                What you just brought up about ordering a battery pack with a DC/DC converter option sounds like what I would be interested in. Although why is it a DC/DC converter? I would think you would only need a converter for AC/DC or DC/AC. Was that a typo?

                                                Anyway, if I understand the BionX system I would think I could keep the settings in a regenerative mode most of the time while riding to ensure a fully charged battery when stopped/camped for the night, which is when I would be using a laptop, cell phone, lamp, etc. I think I read somewhere on the BionX site there were up to four regenerative modes. I believe I recall up to four regenerative modes because I remember reading something about a security feature, which puts the BionX system into the fourth (and obviously most difficult to pedal) mode after two strokes of the pedal when the command console has not been established properly.

                                                If I am misunderstanding the system please let me know, and thanks Juergen.

                                    _TONE_

                                  • Ellen Stoune Duralia
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                                      Re: [rootsradicals] Re: Xtra with BionX assist Uh oh – technical gremlins must be afoot. The link does not work :(

                                      Ellen Stoune Duralia wrote:

> [...]
                                      >     regen, it's no longer a requirement for me on a bike like it will be
                                      >     when I get around to converting a car to battery electric (someday?
                                      >     don't hold your breath).  I guess it's because the frictional losses
                                      >     in the bike application are a greater proportion of the total load
                                      >     than in the car application, and the speeds and weights are lower, so
                                      >     there is less kinetic energy to be regained when slowing the vehicle.
                                      >
                                      >     Anyway, I'd say if you're considering the Bionx for anything other
                                      >     than a Xtracycle, it'd be my top pick; only because Todd is so
                                      >     committed to making such a great product for the Xtracycle market am I
                                      >     jumping ship to the Stokemonkey.  (well, then there's the name thing -
                                      >     I'll be much happier on a big dummy with a stokemonkey than with
                                      >     something that is supposed to make me think I'm the 6 million

                                    • Juergen Weichert
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                                        I think there was a bit of server trouble last night. Try it again:
                                        http://www.acclivity.ca/video/DB2006.wmv
                                        <http://www.acclivity.ca/video/DB2006.wmv>

                                        Juergen

                                        (On one part there is a bit where you can hear a humming that sounds
                                        like a motor - this motor is virtually silent but in this case the bit
                                        of vibration transmitted through the Xtracycle to the snap deck that
                                        acted as a sound board, amplifying the vibration into a humming sound.
                                        Generally when I ride mine I hear nothing.)

                                        Ellen Stoune Duralia wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > regen, it's no longer a requirement for me on a bike like it will be
                                        > > when I get around to converting a car to battery electric (someday?
                                        > > don't hold your breath). I guess it's because the frictional losses
                                        > > in the bike application are a greater proportion of the total load
                                        > > than in the car application, and the speeds and weights are lower, so
                                        > > there is less kinetic energy to be regained when slowing the vehicle.
                                        > >
                                        > > Anyway, I'd say if you're considering the Bionx for anything other
                                        > > than a Xtracycle, it'd be my top pick; only because Todd is so
                                        > > committed to making such a great product for the Xtracycle market
                                        > am I
                                        > > jumping ship to the Stokemonkey. (well, then there's the name thing -
                                        > > I'll be much happier on a big dummy with a stokemonkey than with
                                        > > something that is supposed to make me think I'm the 6 million

                                      • Juergen Weichert
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jan 23, 2007
                                          Don't forget that the energy to charge the battery has to come from
                                          somewhere - in this case YOU are the generating station! This means that
                                          when riding in "regen" mode (charging the battery) it will take you MORE
                                          effort to ride and that extra bit of effort is what charges the battery.
                                          I usually only use regen mode while descending hills or stopping. You
                                          can select one of four progressively harder regen modes (harder = more
                                          charging) for hill descents or training. Also, there is a magnetic
                                          switch on the brake lever that activated regen when braking. If properly
                                          adjusted you can have the regen come on before your brake pads start
                                          touching, thus saving a lot of brake wear.

                                          The DC/DC converter item was not a typo. Your battery is DC (either 24V
                                          or 36V depending on system) and your lights are typically 6V or 12V DC -
                                          so you have to convert from DC to a lower DC voltage.

                                          The built-in DC/DC converter is typically meant for use while riding. I
                                          will find out today how well it works while the battery is off the bike,
                                          like when charging/powering other things while camping.

                                          The security feature is built in to the system. When parking (continue
                                          to use your regular lock) you can set the security system. Before moving
                                          the bike again you have to enter your (programmable) PIN to deactivate
                                          it. If the bike is moved without entering the PIN then an alarm will
                                          sound and the system will automatically go to -4 (maximum) regenerative
                                          mode. In -4 regen it is really hard to ride - like going up a steep
                                          hill. If someone really wants to ride off on your bike they can, but
                                          slowly. They will likely get pretty pooped and will have to ditch the
                                          bike to make their getaway. The alarm isn't very loud though as it just
                                          uses the little built-in speaker that makes the system noises. Nice
                                          feature to have though as it adds functionality without adding weight -
                                          it uses what already exists on the system (regen, computer, beeper).

                                          You can also use one of the lighter regen settings when riding with
                                          friends/family who are not as fast or energetic. You can all ride
                                          together but you can select the regen level that gives you the workout
                                          that you desire. I was co-teaching a winter cycling course once and kept
                                          my system in -1 or -2 most of the time while riding along with the
                                          students as the pace is generally slow to moderate. I stayed nice and
                                          warm because of the extra effort required. If you want a good workout
                                          while riding along with your children in the neighborhood, just select
                                          -4 regen and a really low gear, and work up a sweat at a walking pace! :-)

                                          Juergen

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jan 27, 2007
                                            Juergen,
                                            I forgot to ask, what kind of power output outlet does the BionX
                                            battery have, or perhaps I should also ask what kind of power outlet the
                                            DC converter have? Does it have some sort of car cigarette lighter
                                            connection or something?
                                            _TONE_
                                          • Juergen Weichert
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 5 12:51 PM
                                              Hi Tone

                                              The DC/DC converter uses an outlet that accepts these kind of plugs:
                                              http://www.switchcraft.com/products/capc-5.html

                                              Juergen