Re: [rootsradicals] Weather

  • Khalid Mateen
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
      In the northeast, we have to have a real blizzard in which it is expected to have a 2 or more feet of snow to shut down.   We know how to use a shovel and we pretty much accept it when it snows.  We have been getting below 45-44 lately.  It is more like 20 to 30 degrees but that is expected in January.  When it hits 10 to 15 degrees, that is when we begin to worry and stay inside most of the time in. The most I have seen of snow must have been 3 feet of snow because I remember walls of snow as you walked on the sidewalk, with runny nose, snow ball fights almost everyday.  Now, at 34, I cant deal with cold as I used to.  When it gets cold, I am just trying to get to a warm place or put extra clothes on to keep myself warm.

      K.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
        At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:
        >Wow I hate winter!

        I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
        was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
        got to 107 F.

        I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
        I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

        ray
      • Khalid Mateen
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
          Dam, thats hot.

          K.

          At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:

          >Wow I hate winter!

          I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
          was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
          got to 107 F.

          I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
          I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

          ray

        • Mark Garvey
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
            OK, This morning I awoke to at least a foot of new snow.  We have now had 27.5 inches this winter.  ahead of last winter already which was a record breaking winter....Tonight it is SUPPOSED to go to -25 F with Wind chill in the -40 to -45 range.  Yikes!

            In all honesty, Winter can be HUGELY beautiful!  But cold turns me OFF.  I want to snuggle up under the blankets and not come out for a long while!

            I have pics that I took today of my back yard, with a bird bath sporting a cap of snow at least 2 ft tall!

            Mark

            and where did you grow up Jenni?  dyersville??

            --
            "I just like to blow things up!"

            Papa Balloon

            "I just like to blow things up!"

            Papa Balloon
          • Mike Meiser
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
              haha! ha! ha!

              I'm just getting ready to do some night riding myself

              It's going to hit -12 Farenheight tonight, and that's without the wind chill.

              Have some gear I've been meaning to try out. That and I just love to play in the snow. We just got 4" today and have gotten over a foot this week. I think it's a bit of a record for us here in michigan.

              The contrast couldn't be more hilarious.

              I know well what you're talking about too. I spent a summer working in Phoenix Arizona. It's when I started getting into night riding because it'd consistently hit 115 degrees there in mid-summer.

              I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy my nice cozy snow cave tonight in my bivouac and double sleeping bag. :)

              Cheers, from the other side of the globe.

              -Mike

              On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:
              At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:
              >Wow I hate winter!

              I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
              was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
              got to 107 F.

              I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
              I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

              ray

              <*> Your email settings:
                 Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                 (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                 http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
                At the moment our temp is -23degC ( Farenheit -9) with a forecast this
                evening for a low of -29degC (-20F). Tomorrow evening is expected to
                drop to -31 (-24F). Tonight forecast for wind-chill of -34C.
                In these temps we cover ALL exposed flesh when riding. Ski goggles help.
                Riding in one gear is common if shifters freeze - always be sure to park
                in a low enough gear. ;-)
                Tomorrow should be fun.
                Xtracycle means easy to carry extra gloves/scarf/gear etc. without
                having to fumble in panniers or take gloves off.
                Juergen

                Mike Meiser wrote:

                > haha! ha! ha!
                >

                > I'm just getting ready to do some night riding myself
                >
                > It's going to hit -12 Farenheight tonight, and that's without the wind
                > chill.
                >
                > Have some gear I've been meaning to try out. That and I just love to
                > play in the snow. We just got 4" today and have gotten over a foot
                > this week. I think it's a bit of a record for us here in michigan.
                >
                > The contrast couldn't be more hilarious.
                >
                > I know well what you're talking about too. I spent a summer working in
                > Phoenix Arizona. It's when I started getting into night riding because
                > it'd consistently hit 115 degrees there in mid-summer.
                >
                > I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy my nice cozy snow cave tonight in
                > my bivouac and double sleeping bag. :)
                >
                > Cheers, from the other side of the globe.
                >
                > -Mike

              • Lorna McKenzie
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009

                  I hate the summer here in inland Australia.
                  Oh my, don't I know about that heat, the roads are just bubbling with heat - nice cool change coming through the CBD of Sydney at the moment though.

                  Still I'd rather be on my bike than in a car, I have a fabulous Ground Effects long sleeve top that works like an air conditioner - as you cycle, the breeze (or in this case, hot blasts of fetid air) hit it and the sweat evaporates and creates a cooling effect which is very comfy nmaking.

                  Cheers,
                  Lorna

                  Blissful in the Blue Mountains

                  ( ( _ _ _ _ _ _ __o
                  ( _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ `\<,_
                  ( _ _ _ _ _ _ (*)/ (*)

                  Ride blissfully through your life....

                • Jenni Ertl
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009

                    Dyersville…no… good guess though ;-) Relatives are there. I grew up in Waterloo. Been to CR many times!

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                      Rick you can keep 75+ in january but don't come looking to my
                      beautiful state of Wisconsin when you need water :)

                      -7 when I jumped on the bike this morning with a W/C of -28. Reminds
                      me of snowboarding in Colorado at 13,500 feet and also reminds me of a
                      phrase they all use and I remember every time it is cold out...

                      Cotton Kills!

                      On days when it gets this cold out, I leave all my cotton on the
                      shelves and grab my wool and poly.

                      Supposed to be colder tomorrow. I love winter! Seriously, I love
                      this weather. I must, I moved BACK to Milwaukee.

                      Ride hard everyone, keep the cars in the garage, the winter is too
                      hard on them.

                      Tony B.
                      Milwaukee WI

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...>
                      wrote:

                      > Oh, just thought I'd rub it in and let everyone know that Oakland has
                      > been experiencing 75+ degree weather.
                      >
                      > IN JANUARY! :P
                      >
                      > But seriously, I want rain for us. We're already in a drought and no
                      > rain this winter will mean serious problems come summer. Hope that
                      > changes, big time.
                      >
                      > Rick
                      >
                      > On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
                      >
                      > > I am in Iowa Too. I LOVE Iowa! WONDERFUL place. But it is a lot
                      > > more wonderfuller if you are not here in the winter! I drove about
                      > > 500 miles on Monday in Driving snow and sideways wind. If you have
                      > > EVER seen videos of the arctic and Antarctic research stations with
                      > > buildings and everything coated in ice and snow....with the flags
                      > > sticking STRAIGHT OUT and buzzing like Saxophone Reeds....That is
                      > > what it was like yesterday! Today it is "better" More snow, but
                      > > less wind and only -2 or -3 (F) (that is something like -237 in
                      > > Celsius! Well, maybe -20 or something)
                      > >
                      > > I don't mind riding in crummy conditions....but yikes... Iowa Sucks
                      > > in winter! The rrest of the year it can't be beat!
                      > >
                      > > Wow I hate winter!
                      > >
                      > > Papa Mark
                      > >
                      > > --
                      > > "I just like to blow things up!"
                      > >
                      > > Papa Balloon

                    • Rick Pickett
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                        Touché! I know, I know.  After living in San Diego for three years, I am well (pun intended) aware that our water ain't local.

                        But this is AMERICA, the land of externalizing costs and responsibilities!  Sadly, should we endure another two years of drought, we's be, um, f'd?

                        wrote:

                        > Oh, just thought I'd rub it in and let everyone know that Oakland has
                        > been experiencing 75+ degree weather.
                        >
                        > IN JANUARY! :P
                        >
                        > But seriously, I want rain for us. We're already in a drought and no
                        > rain this winter will mean serious problems come summer. Hope that
                        > changes, big time.
                        >
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am in Iowa Too. I LOVE Iowa! WONDERFUL place. But it is a lot
                        > > more wonderfuller if you are not here in the winter! I drove about
                        > > 500 miles on Monday in Driving snow and sideways wind. If you have
                        > > EVER seen videos of the arctic and Antarctic research stations with
                        > > buildings and everything coated in ice and snow....with the flags
                        > > sticking STRAIGHT OUT and buzzing like Saxophone Reeds....That is
                        > > what it was like yesterday! Today it is "better" More snow, but
                        > > less wind and only -2 or -3 (F) (that is something like -237 in
                        > > Celsius! Well, maybe -20 or something)
                        > >
                        > > I don't mind riding in crummy conditions.. ..but yikes... Iowa Sucks
                        > > in winter! The rrest of the year it can't be beat!
                        > >
                        > > Wow I hate winter!
                        > >
                        > > Papa Mark
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > "I just like to blow things up!"
                        > >
                        > > Papa Balloon

                      • Mark Garvey
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                          On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                          At the moment our temp is -23degC ( Farenheit -9) with a forecast this
                          evening for a low of -29degC (-20F). Tomorrow evening is expected to
                          drop to -31 (-24F). Tonight forecast for wind-chill of -34C.
                          In these temps we cover ALL exposed flesh when riding.

                          yikes!  I left the house this AM at 2:30 and it was -10 (f) and I drove to The quad Cities and when I arrived it was -23....15 minutes later it was -24!  Yikes!  Don't like THAT trend!  It was really really cold today!.  Never got warmer than -10 and Cedar Rapids set a new all time record of -29  Yeow! Supposed to be -25 tonight.   spent about a half hour this afternoon rolling around on the ground trying to unstick the brakes on a Semi trailer!   ARRRRGH!

                          Mark
                          "I just like to blow things up!"

                          Papa Balloon
                        • brian robbins
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                            big deal

                            WI. weather
                            -11 and WC -20 good day for a ride, wo hoooooooooooo

                            i went out last night just for the ck of it went only 2 mies but when record weather hits i just have to ride.
                            esp when the heat is broken in my apt, good thing it is broken the right way it is 79.6 in here right now, do you think i am going to say anything to the owner? no way not till it warms up outside

                            so i go for a ride to cool off.  lol
                            serious it is cold so be carefull take tony''s  advice and don't wear cotton and bundel up

                            i cant wait for summer!

                              please visit

                            bikemilwaukee.org

                            See my blog
                            http://bikemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

                            Thank You
                            Brian

                            Bikemilwaukee.org
                            3470 N. Oakland Av.
                            Milwaukee WI. 53211
                            (414)332-3479

                            WINTER HOURS
                            WEEKDAYS ....10am - 6pm
                            CLOSED WEDNESDAY'S
                            SATURDAY................12am - 4pm
                            SUNDAY..................CLOSED , GOT TO RIDE

                            Brian@...