RE: [rootsradicals] Weather

  • Jenni Ertl
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009

      Hey Mark,

      I grew up in Iowa and was home for Christmas. I spent 2 weeks on Guam where it is 85 and humid, then flew to Iowa, where it was -35. Talk about shock! Then the next week was an ice storm Yuck! I’m back in South Carolina now where even though it feels kind of chilly to me (been between 45-55 lately), I remind myself that I’m not still in Iowa! J

      However, I do laugh when everything shuts down here if they even THINK about having snow! They get a dusting and there are 100 cancellations on the news. J

      -Jenni

      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
        In the northeast, we have to have a real blizzard in which it is expected to have a 2 or more feet of snow to shut down.   We know how to use a shovel and we pretty much accept it when it snows.  We have been getting below 45-44 lately.  It is more like 20 to 30 degrees but that is expected in January.  When it hits 10 to 15 degrees, that is when we begin to worry and stay inside most of the time in. The most I have seen of snow must have been 3 feet of snow because I remember walls of snow as you walked on the sidewalk, with runny nose, snow ball fights almost everyday.  Now, at 34, I cant deal with cold as I used to.  When it gets cold, I am just trying to get to a warm place or put extra clothes on to keep myself warm.

        --
        "I just like to blow things up!"

        Papa Balloon

      • Cathode Ray
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
          At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:
          >Wow I hate winter!

          I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
          was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
          got to 107 F.

          I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
          I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

          ray
        • Khalid Mateen
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
            Dam, thats hot.

            K.

            At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:

            >Wow I hate winter!

            I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
            was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
            got to 107 F.

            I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
            I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

            ray

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
              OK, This morning I awoke to at least a foot of new snow.  We have now had 27.5 inches this winter.  ahead of last winter already which was a record breaking winter....Tonight it is SUPPOSED to go to -25 F with Wind chill in the -40 to -45 range.  Yikes!

              In all honesty, Winter can be HUGELY beautiful!  But cold turns me OFF.  I want to snuggle up under the blankets and not come out for a long while!

              I have pics that I took today of my back yard, with a bird bath sporting a cap of snow at least 2 ft tall!

              Mark

              and where did you grow up Jenni?  dyersville??

              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
                haha! ha! ha!

                I'm just getting ready to do some night riding myself

                It's going to hit -12 Farenheight tonight, and that's without the wind chill.

                Have some gear I've been meaning to try out. That and I just love to play in the snow. We just got 4" today and have gotten over a foot this week. I think it's a bit of a record for us here in michigan.

                The contrast couldn't be more hilarious.

                I know well what you're talking about too. I spent a summer working in Phoenix Arizona. It's when I started getting into night riding because it'd consistently hit 115 degrees there in mid-summer.

                I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy my nice cozy snow cave tonight in my bivouac and double sleeping bag. :)

                Cheers, from the other side of the globe.

                -Mike

                On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Cathode Ray <ray@...> wrote:
                At 10:00 PM -0600 13/1/09, Mark Garvey wrote:
                >Wow I hate winter!

                I hate the summer here in inland Australia. At 8 AM this morning it
                was over 90 F, so it is going to be another scorching day. Yesterday
                got to 107 F.

                I can only ride when the sun goes down. Still very hot, but at least
                I don't get burnt. It was still over 90 F at midnight

                ray

                <*> Your email settings:
                   Individual Email | Traditional

                <*> To change settings online go to:
                   (Yahoo! ID required)

                <*> To change settings via email:

                   http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Juergen Weichert
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009
                  At the moment our temp is -23degC ( Farenheit -9) with a forecast this
                  evening for a low of -29degC (-20F). Tomorrow evening is expected to
                  drop to -31 (-24F). Tonight forecast for wind-chill of -34C.
                  In these temps we cover ALL exposed flesh when riding. Ski goggles help.
                  Riding in one gear is common if shifters freeze - always be sure to park
                  in a low enough gear. ;-)
                  Tomorrow should be fun.
                  Xtracycle means easy to carry extra gloves/scarf/gear etc. without
                  having to fumble in panniers or take gloves off.
                  Juergen

                  Mike Meiser wrote:

                  > haha! ha! ha!
                  >

                  > I'm just getting ready to do some night riding myself
                  >
                  > It's going to hit -12 Farenheight tonight, and that's without the wind
                  > chill.
                  >
                  > Have some gear I've been meaning to try out. That and I just love to
                  > play in the snow. We just got 4" today and have gotten over a foot
                  > this week. I think it's a bit of a record for us here in michigan.
                  >
                  > The contrast couldn't be more hilarious.
                  >
                  > I know well what you're talking about too. I spent a summer working in
                  > Phoenix Arizona. It's when I started getting into night riding because
                  > it'd consistently hit 115 degrees there in mid-summer.
                  >
                  > I'll be thinking of you as I enjoy my nice cozy snow cave tonight in
                  > my bivouac and double sleeping bag. :)
                  >
                  > Cheers, from the other side of the globe.
                  >
                  > -Mike

                • Lorna McKenzie
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 14, 2009

                    I hate the summer here in inland Australia.
                    Oh my, don't I know about that heat, the roads are just bubbling with heat - nice cool change coming through the CBD of Sydney at the moment though.

                    Still I'd rather be on my bike than in a car, I have a fabulous Ground Effects long sleeve top that works like an air conditioner - as you cycle, the breeze (or in this case, hot blasts of fetid air) hit it and the sweat evaporates and creates a cooling effect which is very comfy nmaking.

                    Cheers,
                    Lorna

                    Blissful in the Blue Mountains

                    ( ( _ _ _ _ _ _ __o
                    ( _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ `\<,_
                    ( _ _ _ _ _ _ (*)/ (*)

                    Ride blissfully through your life....

                  • Jenni Ertl
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009

                      Dyersville…no… good guess though ;-) Relatives are there. I grew up in Waterloo. Been to CR many times!

                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                        Rick you can keep 75+ in january but don't come looking to my
                        beautiful state of Wisconsin when you need water :)

                        -7 when I jumped on the bike this morning with a W/C of -28. Reminds
                        me of snowboarding in Colorado at 13,500 feet and also reminds me of a
                        phrase they all use and I remember every time it is cold out...

                        Cotton Kills!

                        On days when it gets this cold out, I leave all my cotton on the
                        shelves and grab my wool and poly.

                        Supposed to be colder tomorrow. I love winter! Seriously, I love
                        this weather. I must, I moved BACK to Milwaukee.

                        Ride hard everyone, keep the cars in the garage, the winter is too
                        hard on them.

                        Tony B.
                        Milwaukee WI

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Rick Pickett <rick.pickett@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Oh, just thought I'd rub it in and let everyone know that Oakland has
                        > been experiencing 75+ degree weather.
                        >
                        > IN JANUARY! :P
                        >
                        > But seriously, I want rain for us. We're already in a drought and no
                        > rain this winter will mean serious problems come summer. Hope that
                        > changes, big time.
                        >
                        > Rick
                        >
                        > On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
                        >
                        > > I am in Iowa Too. I LOVE Iowa! WONDERFUL place. But it is a lot
                        > > more wonderfuller if you are not here in the winter! I drove about
                        > > 500 miles on Monday in Driving snow and sideways wind. If you have
                        > > EVER seen videos of the arctic and Antarctic research stations with
                        > > buildings and everything coated in ice and snow....with the flags
                        > > sticking STRAIGHT OUT and buzzing like Saxophone Reeds....That is
                        > > what it was like yesterday! Today it is "better" More snow, but
                        > > less wind and only -2 or -3 (F) (that is something like -237 in
                        > > Celsius! Well, maybe -20 or something)
                        > >
                        > > I don't mind riding in crummy conditions....but yikes... Iowa Sucks
                        > > in winter! The rrest of the year it can't be beat!
                        > >
                        > > Wow I hate winter!
                        > >
                        > > Papa Mark
                        > >
                        > > --
                        > > "I just like to blow things up!"
                        > >
                        > > Papa Balloon

                      • Rick Pickett
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                          Touché! I know, I know.  After living in San Diego for three years, I am well (pun intended) aware that our water ain't local.

                          But this is AMERICA, the land of externalizing costs and responsibilities!  Sadly, should we endure another two years of drought, we's be, um, f'd?

                          wrote:

                          > Oh, just thought I'd rub it in and let everyone know that Oakland has
                          > been experiencing 75+ degree weather.
                          >
                          > IN JANUARY! :P
                          >
                          > But seriously, I want rain for us. We're already in a drought and no
                          > rain this winter will mean serious problems come summer. Hope that
                          > changes, big time.
                          >
                          > Rick
                          >
                          > On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:00 PM, Mark Garvey wrote:
                          >
                          > > I am in Iowa Too. I LOVE Iowa! WONDERFUL place. But it is a lot
                          > > more wonderfuller if you are not here in the winter! I drove about
                          > > 500 miles on Monday in Driving snow and sideways wind. If you have
                          > > EVER seen videos of the arctic and Antarctic research stations with
                          > > buildings and everything coated in ice and snow....with the flags
                          > > sticking STRAIGHT OUT and buzzing like Saxophone Reeds....That is
                          > > what it was like yesterday! Today it is "better" More snow, but
                          > > less wind and only -2 or -3 (F) (that is something like -237 in
                          > > Celsius! Well, maybe -20 or something)
                          > >
                          > > I don't mind riding in crummy conditions.. ..but yikes... Iowa Sucks
                          > > in winter! The rrest of the year it can't be beat!
                          > >
                          > > Wow I hate winter!
                          > >
                          > > Papa Mark
                          > >
                          > > --
                          > > "I just like to blow things up!"
                          > >
                          > > Papa Balloon

                        • Mark Garvey
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 15, 2009
                            On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 9:54 PM, Juergen Weichert <juergen@...> wrote:
                            At the moment our temp is -23degC ( Farenheit -9) with a forecast this
                            evening for a low of -29degC (-20F). Tomorrow evening is expected to
                            drop to -31 (-24F). Tonight forecast for wind-chill of -34C.
                            In these temps we cover ALL exposed flesh when riding.

                            yikes!  I left the house this AM at 2:30 and it was -10 (f) and I drove to The quad Cities and when I arrived it was -23....15 minutes later it was -24!  Yikes!  Don't like THAT trend!  It was really really cold today!.  Never got warmer than -10 and Cedar Rapids set a new all time record of -29  Yeow! Supposed to be -25 tonight.   spent about a half hour this afternoon rolling around on the ground trying to unstick the brakes on a Semi trailer!   ARRRRGH!

                            Mark
                            "I just like to blow things up!"

                            Papa Balloon
                          • brian robbins
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 16, 2009
                              big deal

                              WI. weather
                              -11 and WC -20 good day for a ride, wo hoooooooooooo

                              i went out last night just for the ck of it went only 2 mies but when record weather hits i just have to ride.
                              esp when the heat is broken in my apt, good thing it is broken the right way it is 79.6 in here right now, do you think i am going to say anything to the owner? no way not till it warms up outside

                              so i go for a ride to cool off.  lol
                              serious it is cold so be carefull take tony''s  advice and don't wear cotton and bundel up

                              i cant wait for summer!

                                please visit

                              bikemilwaukee.org

                              See my blog
                              http://bikemilwaukee.blogspot.com/

                              Thank You
                              Brian

                              Bikemilwaukee.org
                              3470 N. Oakland Av.
                              Milwaukee WI. 53211
                              (414)332-3479

                              WINTER HOURS
                              WEEKDAYS ....10am - 6pm
                              CLOSED WEDNESDAY'S
                              SATURDAY................12am - 4pm
                              SUNDAY..................CLOSED , GOT TO RIDE

                              Brian@...