your favorite stoker bar bar

  • xtracycleinc
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
      Hey Roots!

      What's your favorite stoker handlebar style? C-bar, straight bar, stubby, big and wide? We
      want to know what you think works best, and of course, why.

      Nate - Xtracycle
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2009
        On 2009-01-07, at 10:02 AM, xtracycleinc wrote:
        > What's your favorite stoker handlebar style? C-bar, straight bar,
        > stubby, big and wide? We
        > want to know what you think works best, and of course, why.

        Chopped straight bar.

        (1) not in the way when not using it, either me, or the loads.
        (2) useful handle for securing loads.
        (3) useful handle for yanking bike (not too much leverage on seat).
        (4) I use it to hang the bike.

        Pointers to hung bike,

        http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_1046&bgcolor=black

        and hanger detail.

        http://gallery.mac.com/dr2chase#100060/IMG_1048&bgcolor=black
      • conion1
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2009
          I am using a extended MTB stem with a 1" dowel that is 8" in length.
          It was laying around, plenty strong, and lightweight.
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 27, 2009

                        I got two pairs of Whatchamacollars for Xmas, and I only got around to installing them yesterday. Unfortunately I encountered a problem. I could not get them on. They fit nice and snug over the V-rack tubing, but when I was trying to get them down over the V-rack receiving posts on my Big Dummy they really did not seem like they wanted to fit.  I did manage to get one down over a post, but that was only after I slightly wedged and separated the gap apart. Even after gently spreading that collar apart and clearing the lip on one of the Big Dummy posts, it still was unexpectedly hard to get the collar into the correct position. While doing so I actually noticed a shaving of Big Dummy paint developing a curl within the gap of the collar. That is when I decided to stop and see if someone else within our community may have encountered a similar dilemma.

                        I did e-mail Xtracycle earlier today, but Lauren said she would direct my inquiry to Mark, and I have yet to hear back from anyone on the matter. Xtracycle has ALWAYS been a terrific company with great support, so I am quite sure I will hear back from them with lots of advice. In the mean time though, I thought I would just post to see if someone out there in our longtail community has any knowledge on the subject.

                        Thanks and ride safe everyone,

            _TONE_

          • Matt Gitchell
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 27, 2009
              I also have a Dummy and two pair of the collars (grumble grumble expensive grumble grumble) but had my shop put them on for me during the course of a tune-up (I'm lazy).
              That being said, they're working GREAT. I used to vibrate my snapdeck off with some regularity, and that has stopped. also, the racks feel much more stable now.

              --Matt

              On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM, Tone <tone@...> wrote:

[...]

            • Andrew Kreps
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 28, 2009
                On 1/27/09, Tone <tone@...> wrote:
                > I got two pairs of Whatchamacollars for Xmas, and I only got
                > around to installing them yesterday. Unfortunately I encountered a
                > problem. I could not get them on. They fit nice and snug over the V-rack
                > tubing, but when I was trying to get them down over the V-rack receiving
                > posts on my Big Dummy they really did not seem like they wanted to fit.

                I discovered the same problem with my Big Dummy last night. According
                to my calipers, the inner diameter of the frame side of the
                whatcyamacollar is about half a millimeter smaller than the outer
                diameter of the big dummy frame. Just enough difference to cause us
                some pain. If you get a reasonable solution from the Xtracycle folks,
                do share it.