Re: [rootsradicals] How to get a big heavy bike up the hill

  • Mark Garvey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
      On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:
      I had a really interesting near wipe-out this week when my rear wheel
      skidded on a painted turn arrow.  T

      Um...yeah....those suckers are slippery!  any paint on the pavement will be much more likely to dump you in the rain.  Even in normal conditions.  Maybe it is more noticeable on motorcycles or something, but I make it a habit to pull the bike upright on any painted bit on the road.  Motorcycle OR bicycle.

      My boss has a T shirt that says, "If you are laying in the ditch upside down, you have just done something wrong!"

      He received it as a present from an "admirer" after he found himself upside down in a ditch one morning!

      MArk
      --
      "I just like to blow things up!"

      Papa Balloon
    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        Yes, I've definitely noticed the slickness of paint (turn arrows,
        pedistrian crossing, lane indicators) when on a motorbike! The paint
        can raise the level of the road enough to catch a bicycle wheel.

        As for laying in a ditch upside-down, it is rather drastic instant
        feedback of having done something wrong!

        CL
        who well knows that we tend to be much more lucky than smart!

        Mark Garvey wrote:
        > On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman
        > <cara.lin@... <mailto:cara.lin@...>> wrote:
        >
        > I had a really interesting near wipe-out this week when my rear wheel
        > skidded on a painted turn arrow.
        >
        > Um...yeah....those suckers are slippery! any paint on the pavement will
        > be much more likely to dump you in the rain. Even in normal
        > conditions. Maybe it is more noticeable on motorcycles or something,
        > but I make it a habit to pull the bike upright on any painted bit on the
        > road. Motorcycle OR bicycle.
        >
        > My boss has a T shirt that says, "If you are laying in the ditch upside
        > down, you have just done something wrong!"
        >
        > He received it as a present from an "admirer" after he found himself
        > upside down in a ditch one morning!
        >
        > MArk
        > --
        > "I just like to blow things up!"