Re: [rootsradicals] How to get a big heavy bike up the hill

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 2, 2009
      I had a really interesting near wipe-out this week when my rear wheel
      skidded on a painted turn arrow. This was downhill in the rain, just
      after slowing down for for the right-hand turn that resulted in the skid.

      The rear wheel was loaded with the large StokeMonkey battery and papers
      for a class (and all the usual stuff crammed into the free-loader bags:
      tools, tire kit, free-radical bars and extenders, rain gear, dry bag,
      straps, spare batteries, and spare lights). This was on the light side,
      as usually I'm hauling a few more kilos of books, papers, and water
      bottles.

      The right foot came out automatically to brace the falling side and I
      continued on my way with a "What the heck was that?!?" and a backward
      look.

      I've noticed before how paint smooths out the road surface. In fact, on
      one of my climbs, I tend to ride the white line as it seems to make the
      climb easier.

      CL
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
        On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman <cara.lin@...> wrote:
        I had a really interesting near wipe-out this week when my rear wheel
        skidded on a painted turn arrow.  T

        Um...yeah....those suckers are slippery!  any paint on the pavement will be much more likely to dump you in the rain.  Even in normal conditions.  Maybe it is more noticeable on motorcycles or something, but I make it a habit to pull the bike upright on any painted bit on the road.  Motorcycle OR bicycle.

        My boss has a T shirt that says, "If you are laying in the ditch upside down, you have just done something wrong!"

        He received it as a present from an "admirer" after he found himself upside down in a ditch one morning!

        MArk
        --
        "I just like to blow things up!"

        Papa Balloon
      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 3, 2009
          Yes, I've definitely noticed the slickness of paint (turn arrows,
          pedistrian crossing, lane indicators) when on a motorbike! The paint
          can raise the level of the road enough to catch a bicycle wheel.

          As for laying in a ditch upside-down, it is rather drastic instant
          feedback of having done something wrong!

          CL
          who well knows that we tend to be much more lucky than smart!

          Mark Garvey wrote:
          > On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Cara Lin Bridgman
          > <cara.lin@... <mailto:cara.lin@...>> wrote:
          >
          > I had a really interesting near wipe-out this week when my rear wheel
          > skidded on a painted turn arrow.
          >
          > Um...yeah....those suckers are slippery! any paint on the pavement will
          > be much more likely to dump you in the rain. Even in normal
          > conditions. Maybe it is more noticeable on motorcycles or something,
          > but I make it a habit to pull the bike upright on any painted bit on the
          > road. Motorcycle OR bicycle.
          >
          > My boss has a T shirt that says, "If you are laying in the ditch upside
          > down, you have just done something wrong!"
          >
          > He received it as a present from an "admirer" after he found himself
          > upside down in a ditch one morning!
          >
          > MArk
          > --
          > "I just like to blow things up!"