Re: netting on the freeloaders

  • Ian E. Hopper
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Beck" <jonrbeck@...>
      wrote:

      > Does anyone else find that the netting on the front and rear of the
      > freeloaders seems to be sewn too low? In other words, when I load up
      > my grocery bags, for example, into the rear of the freeloaders, the
      > netting doesn't seem to go horizontally across the "U" of the
      > freeloader when viewing from the rear. Rather it seems to angle
      > downwards towards the outside of the freeloader. I haven't lost any
      > groceries yet, but I feel like the netting isn't really doing very
      > much to contain my loads.
      >
      > Any suggestions? Am I loading the freeloaders incorrectly?
      >
      > thanks!
      >
      > jon- who is enjoying dry roads in boston again.

      May I suggest you try cloth bags? You can tie the tops shut and this
      tends to stabilize the load. I further the recommendation of putting
      the straps across to the other freeloader straps: it pulls the load
      closer to the center and keeps it from wiggling.
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Ian E. Hopper <fecusreptilius@...> wrote:

        May I suggest you try cloth bags? You can tie the tops shut and this
        tends to stabilize the load. I further the recommendation of putting
        the straps across to the other freeloader straps: it pulls the load
        closer to the center and keeps it from wiggling.

        Around here there has been a rash of "Green" so most businesses are selling sturdy cloth bags for groceries and such (Wal Mart has them for $1)  you can fit 4 or 6 or maybe 8 of these, depending on factors, on an Xtracycle.  I also find that some places have a sturdy cloth bag divided into 6 pockets for alcohol bottles.  I have three of these suckers that hold my balloons for my working business.  (Anyone want a balloon animal???)

        Locally, the grocery store near me has been getting these bags in seasonal decorations!  they had Halloween bags and Christmas Bags and it is going to be interesting to see how this works out.  They also have some larger canvas bags that work pretty well but you can only get 4 on an X no matter how hard you try!

        Papa Mark
        "I just like to blow things up!"

        Papa Balloon
      • earthjeni
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
          Its definitely easier using a reusable bag, they seem to stay in the
          freeloader better than the pastic ones they give you at checkout.
          However, either way I find I have to fiddle with the top drawstring
          when doing a big shop.
        • Juergen Weichert
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
            I try to ask for the "old school" paper bags whenever I don't have my
            cloth bags with me. They each hold as much as several plastic bags and
            are easier to manage because they sit more upright in the freeloaders.
            Two or more full paper bags on each side of the Xtracycle hold as much
            as a half-dozen or more flimsy plastic bags.

            When done with grocery these paper bags see a myriad of uses in the home
            before they are at their end-of-life. Usually they become handy
            collectors for paper recycling because they themselves can all go out
            with the recycled paper in the blue (black for paper actually) box. If
            they become torn or otherwise damaged they become shredded bedding for
            the vermicompost or end up as mulch for the back yard garden.

            Juergen