Re: [rootsradicals] E-assist and noise

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
      Hi Philip,

      I've a StokeMonkey.

      When I'm not using the motor, the free wheel buzzes like a pylon. I got
      the freewheel that CleverChimp admitted was rather noisy. I got it
      because it is supposedly repairable. Anyway, I quickly got used to the
      noise and hardly notice it now.

      When I am using the motor, I can hear a hum that's reminiscent of the
      tinnitus in my ears. This is more noticeable when riding next to walls
      or buildings, something that can reflect the sound back to you.

      Both noises are very low-level. They have no effect on conversation
      with a passenger or with adjacent bikes. On the open road, they're
      hardly noticeable.

      CL

      Philip Chase wrote:
      > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
      > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
      > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
      > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
      > hear one.
    • Morgan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Chase" <philipbchase@...> wrote:

        > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
        > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
        > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
        > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
        >
        > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
        > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
        > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
        > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
        > hear one.
        >
        > Philip

        Hi Phillip,

        I just posted a video showing comparisons of the two high-powered,
        internally geared BMC hub motors on some Xtracycles.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuPOj2SkgDc

        The internally geared motors (eZee, BMC) make
        a bit more noise than non-geared (Crystalyte, NineContinent, Wilderness Energy)
        But in normal operation it is not very much, and the tradeoff for the bit of extra
        noise is a motor that weighs half as much.

        In extreme conditions, such as loaded hill climbing under high power, it is
        noticeable sound, as you can hear from the video. But on the flats, it is minimal.

        Morgan
      • Morgan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          I forgot to mention - for perspective, compare the noise of the passing car at
          around 1:35 into the video. The car engine is making far more noise than the bike
          motor...

          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

          > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Chase" <philipbchase@> wrote:
          > >
          > > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
          > > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
          > > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
          > > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
          > >
          > > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
          > > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
          > > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
          > > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
          > > hear one.
          > >
          > > Philip
          > >

          > Hi Phillip,
          >
          > I just posted a video showing comparisons of the two high-powered,
          > internally geared BMC hub motors on some Xtracycles.
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuPOj2SkgDc
          >
          > The internally geared motors (eZee, BMC) make
          > a bit more noise than non-geared (Crystalyte, NineContinent, Wilderness Energy)
          > But in normal operation it is not very much, and the tradeoff for the bit of extra
          > noise is a motor that weighs half as much.
          >
          > In extreme conditions, such as loaded hill climbing under high power, it is
          > noticeable sound, as you can hear from the video. But on the flats, it is minimal.
          >
          > Morgan

        • Ian E. Hopper
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            <philipbchase@...> wrote:

            > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
            > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
            > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
            > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
            >
            > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
            > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
            > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
            > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
            > hear one.
            >
            > Philip

            I have a stokemonkey system and while it does make more sound than a
            bicycle running without one, it's not annoying and it doesn't
            interfere with my experience. That's my 0.02 for what it's worth. Wind
            noise from the increased speed is mostly what *I* notice.

            Philip, you're welcome to come try my stokemonkey'd big dummy if
            you're in the area. I live in Novato (north of San Francisco, CA).
          • Juergen Weichert
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              A brushless (gearless, direct drive) hub motor system is virtually silent.
              Motors with some internal gearing are a bit louder - usually having a
              slight "whine".
              Systems using an external chain drive make noise too.
              Basically the more mechanical components are moving the more noise it
              will be.
              In most cases all of these sounds are drowned out by the wind past your
              ears and the ambient traffic sounds.
              Juergen

              Philip Chase wrote:

              > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
              > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
              > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
              > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
              >
              > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
              > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
              > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
              > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
              > hear one.
              >
              > Philip

            • Juergen Weichert
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                p.s. The Snap Deck had a bit of a "soundboard" effect. It can slightly
                amplify whatever sound your assist system makes if you have a rear
                motor. On mine the gentle hum that it can produce at higher power
                settings (or regeneration) becomes audible with the Snap Deck on.

                I ride a BionX PL-350 system on my Xtracycle but have a fair bit of
                experience with most (or just about all) of the other systems that are
                available.

                Juergen