E-assist and noise

  • Philip Chase
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
      this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
      me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
      scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?

      I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
      decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
      I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
      "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
      hear one.

      Philip
    • Mark Garvey
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
        I am using a Currie USPD 450 watt silver can on my Xtracycle.  I have been using it for aobut 3 years now and I love it!

        As for noise.  You can hear it of course, there is a low whine when it is running, but it only runs when I am climbing a hill or need extra power at some point.  As a general rule, On the X it is hardly noticeable because it is mounted on the left chain stay/rear wheel.  the stokemonkey MIGHT be a hair more noticeable because it will be directly below your knees.  But I would say that nearly any e-assist will give you a boost with a minimum of noise.

        The main advantage of an e system is that it is only used WHEN YOU NEED IT!  My bicycle is a bicycle.  All it does is have a bit of assist when I choose!  Most of the time I simply cruise along with zero help.

        At one time, I had the Currie mounted on a WizWheelz Trike. The motor was mounted about 12 inches from my head!  I could really hear it, but even then it was not terribly loud!

        Mark

        On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 4:28 PM, Philip Chase <philipbchase@...> wrote:
        So how quiet are e-assist systems?  I'm considering one--maybe for
        this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy.  For
        me silence is golden on a bike.  If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
        scooter.  So which e-assist systems are quiet?

        I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
        decision.  I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
        I do to get me torque or speed as needed.  The web site says it's
        "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
        hear one.

        Philip

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        --
        "I just like to blow things up!"

        Papa Balloon
      • Carl Ray
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
          I have an e-assist from cycle9.com (morgan) and it is real quite. real nice. A stoke monkey is connect to a chain wich may intrroduce a noise element not sure butr Youtube videos show them at a higher level of noise than I experience.

          Carl

          On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Philip Chase <philipbchase@...> wrote:

          So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
          this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
          me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
          scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?

          I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
          decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
          I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
          "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
          hear one.

          Philip

          --
          Carl

          http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

          "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

          Kent Peterson
          http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

        • Lorna McKenzie
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
            >So how quiet are e-assist systems?
            We have a locally created EPAC 200 watt engine on our commuter bikes and the engine does have a high whine when in use, but as I'm peddling most of the time, rather than using engine assist, the noise isn't an issue and it sure helps with Blue Mountain hills :)

            I'm new to the list, we've had our freewheelers since July last year, after waiting 6 months for them to get imported to Australia as the distributor system let us down, they were worth the wait though, absolutely love them as they turn our bikes into transportation machines and the small electric engine makes that even better, when it works though.

            Sadly we are having problem with the EPAC electrics and as we aren't that technical and the local developer is over 200 kilometers away, and even worse, seems to have gone out of business (well no-one responds to our calls *sigh*) its really annoying because the weight of the engine really makes for a heavy bike on just pedal power, so we are using our tourers and panniers which don't carry half as much. When it works though its a great system.

            Cheers,
            Lorna

            Blissful in the Blue Mountains in NSW, Australia

            ( ( _ _ _ _ _ _ __o
            ( _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ `\<,_
            ( _ _ _ _ _ _ (*)/ (*)    Ride blissfully through life

            On 02/01/2009, at 9:28 AM, Philip Chase wrote:

             I'm considering one--maybe for
            this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
            me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
            scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?

            I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
            decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
            I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
            "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
            hear one.

            Philip

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
              Hi Philip,

              I've a StokeMonkey.

              When I'm not using the motor, the free wheel buzzes like a pylon. I got
              the freewheel that CleverChimp admitted was rather noisy. I got it
              because it is supposedly repairable. Anyway, I quickly got used to the
              noise and hardly notice it now.

              When I am using the motor, I can hear a hum that's reminiscent of the
              tinnitus in my ears. This is more noticeable when riding next to walls
              or buildings, something that can reflect the sound back to you.

              Both noises are very low-level. They have no effect on conversation
              with a passenger or with adjacent bikes. On the open road, they're
              hardly noticeable.

              CL

              Philip Chase wrote:
              > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
              > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
              > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
              > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
              > hear one.
            • Morgan
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Chase" <philipbchase@...> wrote:

                > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
                > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
                > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
                > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
                >
                > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
                > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
                > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
                > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
                > hear one.
                >
                > Philip

                Hi Phillip,

                I just posted a video showing comparisons of the two high-powered,
                internally geared BMC hub motors on some Xtracycles.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuPOj2SkgDc

                The internally geared motors (eZee, BMC) make
                a bit more noise than non-geared (Crystalyte, NineContinent, Wilderness Energy)
                But in normal operation it is not very much, and the tradeoff for the bit of extra
                noise is a motor that weighs half as much.

                In extreme conditions, such as loaded hill climbing under high power, it is
                noticeable sound, as you can hear from the video. But on the flats, it is minimal.

                Morgan
              • Morgan
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  I forgot to mention - for perspective, compare the noise of the passing car at
                  around 1:35 into the video. The car engine is making far more noise than the bike
                  motor...

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Morgan" <mcgurme@...> wrote:

                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Philip Chase" <philipbchase@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
                  > > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
                  > > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
                  > > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
                  > >
                  > > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
                  > > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
                  > > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
                  > > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
                  > > hear one.
                  > >
                  > > Philip
                  > >

                  > Hi Phillip,
                  >
                  > I just posted a video showing comparisons of the two high-powered,
                  > internally geared BMC hub motors on some Xtracycles.
                  > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuPOj2SkgDc
                  >
                  > The internally geared motors (eZee, BMC) make
                  > a bit more noise than non-geared (Crystalyte, NineContinent, Wilderness Energy)
                  > But in normal operation it is not very much, and the tradeoff for the bit of extra
                  > noise is a motor that weighs half as much.
                  >
                  > In extreme conditions, such as loaded hill climbing under high power, it is
                  > noticeable sound, as you can hear from the video. But on the flats, it is minimal.
                  >
                  > Morgan

                • Ian E. Hopper
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                    <philipbchase@...> wrote:

                    > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
                    > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
                    > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
                    > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
                    >
                    > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
                    > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
                    > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
                    > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
                    > hear one.
                    >
                    > Philip

                    I have a stokemonkey system and while it does make more sound than a
                    bicycle running without one, it's not annoying and it doesn't
                    interfere with my experience. That's my 0.02 for what it's worth. Wind
                    noise from the increased speed is mostly what *I* notice.

                    Philip, you're welcome to come try my stokemonkey'd big dummy if
                    you're in the area. I live in Novato (north of San Francisco, CA).
                  • Juergen Weichert
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                      A brushless (gearless, direct drive) hub motor system is virtually silent.
                      Motors with some internal gearing are a bit louder - usually having a
                      slight "whine".
                      Systems using an external chain drive make noise too.
                      Basically the more mechanical components are moving the more noise it
                      will be.
                      In most cases all of these sounds are drowned out by the wind past your
                      ears and the ambient traffic sounds.
                      Juergen

                      Philip Chase wrote:

                      > So how quiet are e-assist systems? I'm considering one--maybe for
                      > this summer--but I would hate to do it if it made my rig noisy. For
                      > me silence is golden on a bike. If I wanted a noisy ride I'd get a
                      > scooter. So which e-assist systems are quiet?
                      >
                      > I confess I am partial the StokeMonkey, but it's hardly an informed
                      > decision. I just like the idea of having it use the same transmission
                      > I do to get me torque or speed as needed. The web site says it's
                      > "virtually silent", but who knows how it quiet it really is until you
                      > hear one.
                      >
                      > Philip

                    • Juergen Weichert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                        p.s. The Snap Deck had a bit of a "soundboard" effect. It can slightly
                        amplify whatever sound your assist system makes if you have a rear
                        motor. On mine the gentle hum that it can produce at higher power
                        settings (or regeneration) becomes audible with the Snap Deck on.

                        I ride a BionX PL-350 system on my Xtracycle but have a fair bit of
                        experience with most (or just about all) of the other systems that are
                        available.

                        Juergen