netting on the freeloaders

  • Jonathan Beck
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 29 2:07 PM
      Does anyone else find that the netting on the front and rear of the
      freeloaders seems to be sewn too low? In other words, when I load up
      my grocery bags, for example, into the rear of the freeloaders, the
      netting doesn't seem to go horizontally across the "U" of the
      freeloader when viewing from the rear. Rather it seems to angle
      downwards towards the outside of the freeloader. I haven't lost any
      groceries yet, but I feel like the netting isn't really doing very
      much to contain my loads.

      Any suggestions? Am I loading the freeloaders incorrectly?

      thanks!

      jon- who is enjoying dry roads in boston again.
    • Carl Ray
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 30 8:14 AM
        Yeah Dude,

        I take the cinch strap and support it higher up by threading the big clips L and R side of Freeloader bags thru the cinch strap then connecting them like normal. that way the mesh is held up and gear has less of a chance falling out.

        Carl

        --
        Carl

        http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

        "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

        Kent Peterson
        http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

      • BRUCE WILSON
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 30 3:34 PM
          No, you are not doing anything wrong.  I think that the netting should go up higher; on the other hand, if it did, you couldn't really 'stuff' the freeloaders.

          Does your netting have a drawstring on top?  If you pull the drawstring to, it may help.
        • bob breckner
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 30 7:56 PM

            I have the same problem with my freeloader

          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 31 4:29 AM
              I have done the same thing with the cinch strap.  I simply run the strap from the freeloader through the loop on the netting strap and then buckle it, seems to work every time.  The ONLY item I have ever "lost" was the lid of a kitty litter bucket that blew off, I found it the next day on my return trip to work!
              Papa Mark

              On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 9:56 PM, bob breckner <bobbyb@...> wrote:

              I have the same problem with my freeloader

              --
              "I just like to blow things up!"

              Papa Balloon
            • Jonathan Beck
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 31 6:56 AM
                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Ray" <kwikfile@...> wrote:

                > Yeah Dude,
                > I take the cinch strap and support it higher up by threading the big clips L
                > and R side of Freeloader bags thru the cinch strap then connecting them like
                > normal. that way the mesh is held up and gear has less of a chance falling
                > out.
                >
                > Carl

                OK, I'm not the only one then! Thanks for the tips everyone. I do the same thing, Carl,
                cinching up the netting pull straps through the main big clip straps.

                So far, I haven't lost any groceries yet. Somehow, my girlfriend's lock (a big thick cable type)
                fell out, but that was after leaving the bar one night, so I don't think it was the Xtracycle's
                fault, more likely operator error. I guess the Xtracycle counts as "heavy machinery"
              • Ian E. Hopper
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jonathan Beck" <jonrbeck@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone else find that the netting on the front and rear of the
                  > freeloaders seems to be sewn too low? In other words, when I load up
                  > my grocery bags, for example, into the rear of the freeloaders, the
                  > netting doesn't seem to go horizontally across the "U" of the
                  > freeloader when viewing from the rear. Rather it seems to angle
                  > downwards towards the outside of the freeloader. I haven't lost any
                  > groceries yet, but I feel like the netting isn't really doing very
                  > much to contain my loads.
                  >
                  > Any suggestions? Am I loading the freeloaders incorrectly?
                  >
                  > thanks!
                  >
                  > jon- who is enjoying dry roads in boston again.

                  May I suggest you try cloth bags? You can tie the tops shut and this
                  tends to stabilize the load. I further the recommendation of putting
                  the straps across to the other freeloader straps: it pulls the load
                  closer to the center and keeps it from wiggling.
                • Mark Garvey
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                    On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Ian E. Hopper <fecusreptilius@...> wrote:

                    May I suggest you try cloth bags? You can tie the tops shut and this
                    tends to stabilize the load. I further the recommendation of putting
                    the straps across to the other freeloader straps: it pulls the load
                    closer to the center and keeps it from wiggling.

                    Around here there has been a rash of "Green" so most businesses are selling sturdy cloth bags for groceries and such (Wal Mart has them for $1)  you can fit 4 or 6 or maybe 8 of these, depending on factors, on an Xtracycle.  I also find that some places have a sturdy cloth bag divided into 6 pockets for alcohol bottles.  I have three of these suckers that hold my balloons for my working business.  (Anyone want a balloon animal???)

                    Locally, the grocery store near me has been getting these bags in seasonal decorations!  they had Halloween bags and Christmas Bags and it is going to be interesting to see how this works out.  They also have some larger canvas bags that work pretty well but you can only get 4 on an X no matter how hard you try!

                    Papa Mark
                    "I just like to blow things up!"

                    Papa Balloon
                  • earthjeni
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                      Its definitely easier using a reusable bag, they seem to stay in the
                      freeloader better than the pastic ones they give you at checkout.
                      However, either way I find I have to fiddle with the top drawstring
                      when doing a big shop.
                    • Juergen Weichert
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2009
                        I try to ask for the "old school" paper bags whenever I don't have my
                        cloth bags with me. They each hold as much as several plastic bags and
                        are easier to manage because they sit more upright in the freeloaders.
                        Two or more full paper bags on each side of the Xtracycle hold as much
                        as a half-dozen or more flimsy plastic bags.

                        When done with grocery these paper bags see a myriad of uses in the home
                        before they are at their end-of-life. Usually they become handy
                        collectors for paper recycling because they themselves can all go out
                        with the recycled paper in the blue (black for paper actually) box. If
                        they become torn or otherwise damaged they become shredded bedding for
                        the vermicompost or end up as mulch for the back yard garden.

                        Juergen