Re: roholoff install photos?

  • jparks781
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 26, 2008
      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, David Dannenberg
      <ddannenberg@...> wrote:

      > If any of you out there with a Big Dummy running a Rohloff hub has or
      > can take a few photos of the installation I would appreciate seeing
      > them. I am finally beginning assembly and although I have the
      > literature and the parts, a picture is worth a lot of pages of multi-
      > lingual manual!
      >
      > Many thanks!
      >
      > David

      Hi David,

      I did this install in late March, and I have a photo:

      In that same gallery you can find a picture of the Titec H-bars and
      how I used a set of straight bar-ends to mount the Rohloff shifter.

      Key points: you need the OEM2 axle plate as described in the Surly Spew 19
      http://www.surlybikes.com/spew19.html

      You might also want to check this thread:
      http://groups.google.com/group/surly-xtracycle/browse_thread/thread/7c2c23165a915b50?hl=en
      Includes some links to parts and part numbers for the Rohloff-specific
      Big Dummy build out.

      Feel free to ask any specific questions or request more photos.

      Joel

      who has now reluctantly swapped the Schwalbe Big Apple 2.3" rubber for
      the Nokian Hakkapeliitta Mount&Ground W160 studded tires.
    • jparks781
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 26, 2008
        Oh, one more thing. The Rohloff chain tensioner that came with my hub
        has a bolted-on stop that interferes with the Big Dummy dropout; they
        can't co-exist. Easy to unbolt the stop, but then the tensioner
        doesn't tension. My solution was to bend up a really complicated wire
        strut that pushes the tensioner backwards while fitting into that
        arc-shaped hole in the drop out. Another solution would be to pull
        the tensioner back with a wire running aft, I'll leave that to you to
        figure out. I guess the guys at Surly used the Surly-brand chain
        tensioner, or some other solution?

        Joel
      • David Dannenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 27, 2008
          Thanks Joel,

          That is helpful. I am certain I have the right parts because I read
          Vic's list. Will check out those links though. I am surprised there is
          a tensioner problem. Will look at it. Maybe will end up with Surley's
          tensioner. I don't want to have to fabricate at this point.

          Thanks again.

          David
        • David Dannenberg
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 27, 2008