Re: [rootsradicals] Car-lite and assuaging an octogenarian parent's fears.

  • Ryano
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 5, 2007
      You think that is scary.  My first converts as a result of my "cycle evangelism" were my wife, my 60yr old mother-in-law and my two kids (5 and 3).  Ohhh 'eck... Time for safety tips.

      Still, your father can take comfort from knowing that you are not likely to ever kill or seriously injure anyone else as long as you are cycling rather than driving.

      On 06/01/07, Bruce Alan Wilson <bawilson@...> wrote:

      My 83-year-old father told me today that he is scared to death when I go out on my bike, apparently because I'm not encased in a steel cocoon.  Although I still have a car, I use it only when I must, and for most errands I use my bike.  How can I reassure him that I'm safe? (It doesn't help that I've had some minor spills lately; an occasional wipeout is part of biking life, but he doesn't see it that way.)

      Bruce Alan Wilson

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 6, 2007

        Bruce,

                    Do you think it would help to tell your dad there is someone in your Xtracycle mailing list, who has worked for several years in the heavy traffic of New York City on his own extended Xtracycle bike and never had any serious accidents? Before my cyclo-puter cable broke I already had over 20,000 miles on my bike and that was only covering a period of about two to three years.

                    I have of course gotten into a few accidents, but that was mostly when I was younger and before I ever became a full time messenger. Most of them, just resulting in scrapes and bruises, could have been avoided if I had a higher level of maturity at the time and the experience of using proper equipment like I have now. If I had something like the Rootsradicals mailing list to provide me with a source of advice on equipment and riding techniques back then I might now have a perfect record.

        _TONE_

      • slew_footing
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
          Bruce,

          My dad's the same way w/ me biking, his quote being "I'm not
          satisfied unless you are driving a M-1 Abrams". I'm lucky in the
          sense that I mostly ride late at night in San Diego,w/ little to no
          traffic out. I'm car-lite as well, sticking to the car when I can
          tag along w/ others in the same vehicle.

          Your best bet is to assure whomever that you are taking all
          precautions possible: visible clothing, lighting on your bike,
          riding predictably and following all applicable traffic laws, and
          assuming drivers in cars will act irresponsibly (and acting
          accordingly).

          It's the same as driving, if you think about it. You can get into
          accidents either way, but you can only handle what you do out on the
          road. Everything else is chance, and if you determined what life
          you lead on that, you might as well just stay home.

          And for all the dark-humoured people out there, if you get serious
          injured/killed while riding a bike, at least you go out doing what
          you love and what others dream about.

          Beth
        • Cara Lin Bridgman
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
            After reading some car-only opinions in response to an accident in
            Kentucky in which a car killed a biker, I'm kind of with your dad.
            Especially, when I remember all the years I biked in the US and got
            cussed at and side-swiped by people in cars.

            In Taiwan, everyone may drive like maniacs, but no one doubts my right
            to the road. In fact, there's even a tradition that the bigger
            vehicle pays damages (including hospital bills and funerals) to the
            smaller one. Although this latter tradition is changing (people are
            now much more likely to call for the cops), it still lingers in driving
            style. Bikes and pedestrians and dogs get swerved around, braked for,
            and waited for.

            I believe that the more bicycles, 50 cc motor scooters, and 150 cc motor
            bikes on the road, the safer it becomes for all of us. Cars and trucks
            and buses learn to expect small things on their right.

            Now, I think my main risk is going downhill, then I'm moving like a
            motorbike even though I'm on a bicycle. People don't expect bikes to go
            at motorbike speeds (30-60 kilometers/hour). So, I occasionally have
            oncoming cars and motorbikes turn left in front of me.

            I'm with one other poster in that you can tell your dad that at least
            you won't be killing anyone. It can also help to say that you always
            wear your helmet.

            CL

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
              > I'm lucky in the sense that I mostly ride late at night in San
              > Diego,w/ little to no traffic out.
              I would be mighty careful. My worst accident ever was late at night,
              bad enough that I don't know how it happened but the guess is that
              either someone didn't see me or was too addled to react properly. My
              most recent near-accident (haven't had an actual accident in decades,
              now) was at dusk, when someone misjudged my speed (15 whole miles per
              hour, maybe) and did a passing right turn.
              > Your best bet is to assure whomever that you are taking all
              > precautions possible: visible clothing, lighting on your bike,
              > riding predictably and following all applicable traffic laws, and
              > assuming drivers in cars will act irresponsibly (and acting
              > accordingly).
              Absolutely. Knowing your route is also useful; for my work commute,
              I know where the bad potholes are, where the parallel grates are, and
              where the habitually-run stop-signs are.

              David
            • murray
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                I find other vehicles misjudeging my speed (as a couple of people in this thread have mentioned) to be the biggest danger for me on the road. I ride hard and fast almost everywhere, and generally faster than the other cyclists around here (mostly kids and parents). I've had two incidents in the last couple of weeks where cars has pulled out in front of me, I have swerved around them to avoid a collision, then they blast their horns at me (for waking them from their sleep presumably).
                My mother to, always worries about me on my bike, and I don't even tell her about near misses because it would just worry her more. On thing I have said to her is that even though I am risking my life on my bike (as is ANY road user) at least the health benifits of all that exercise may extend my life in the long run. :)
                Murray
                PS. I use all precautions like high-vis vest, helmet, gloves, air-horn and bell, and obey road-rules.

                On 1/8/07, David Chase < dr2chase@...> wrote:

                > I'm lucky in the sense that I mostly ride late at night in San
                > Diego,w/ little to no traffic out.
                I would be mighty careful. My worst accident ever was late at night,
                bad enough that I don't know how it happened but the guess is that
                either someone didn't see me or was too addled to react properly. My
                most recent near-accident (haven't had an actual accident in decades,
                now) was at dusk, when someone misjudged my speed (15 whole miles per
                hour, maybe) and did a passing right turn.
                > Your best bet is to assure whomever that you are taking all
                > precautions possible: visible clothing, lighting on your bike,
                > riding predictably and following all applicable traffic laws, and
                > assuming drivers in cars will act irresponsibly (and acting
                > accordingly).
                Absolutely. Knowing your route is also useful; for my work commute,
                I know where the bad potholes are, where the parallel grates are, and
                where the habitually-run stop-signs are.

                David

              • Bruce Alan Wilson
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                  Re: Car-lite and assuaging an octogenarian parent's fears.

                  It might help.  Thanks.

                  Bruce Alan Wilson

                • richardofuller
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Hi all,
                    My first post.

                    > My 83-year-old father told me today that he is scared to death when I go out on
                    > my bike, apparently because I'm not encased in a steel cocoon. Although I still
                    > have a car, I use it only when I must, and for most errands I use my bike. How
                    > can I reassure him that I'm safe? (It doesn't help that I've had some minor
                    > spills lately; an occasional wipeout is part of biking life, but he doesn't see
                    > it that way.)

                    I don't know what Bruce might say to his dad, but I'm really interested in
                    learning how to talk about risks.
                    When I figure out how to do it, I'm sure my rap will have a spiritual
                    basis--I'm a believer in nonviolence--that is, that the world is a better
                    place when each of us is willing to knowingly put our own selves at risk
                    rather than threatening others, or trying to improve our fate by eliminating
                    others.
                    And it will be environmental: Yes, having a steel cocoon to drive around in
                    makes us safer (unless we try to travel faster than bicycles) but the
                    environmental consequences of this personal safety are too great. As
                    individuals and as a human culture, we need to be willing to accept more
                    personal risk--we have over-tipped the balance between personal safety and
                    system sustainability.

                    I haven't figured out how to say this to my 79 year-old mother-out-law who
                    used to stress about this to her daughter, till mother-out-law ran for
                    office on the green party ticket. I'm sure she worries just as much, but she
                    is more accepting of the risks her daughter and I take.

                    How do others of you talk (or think) about this?

                    Richard
                    St. Paul, MN
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                      On 2007-01-07, at 6:20 PM, richardofuller wrote:
                      > And it will be environmental: Yes, having a steel cocoon to drive
                      > around in
                      > makes us safer (unless we try to travel faster than bicycles) but the
                      > environmental consequences of this personal safety are too great. As
                      > individuals and as a human culture, we need to be willing to accept
                      > more
                      > personal risk--we have over-tipped the balance between personal
                      > safety and
                      > system sustainability.

                      Something in this doesn't work for me, and I think it might
                      not work for a lot of people. I tend to look at it from the
                      point of view of game theory (prisoner's dilemma, stag hunt,
                      that sort of thing). At the high level, what game theory
                      tells you is not that it is a good thing to take risks
                      (because only suckers take risk -- you WILL lose the game)
                      but, if a good outcome requires people to take risks, then
                      the game is busted, and must be changed.

                      [ And it's worth noting, if you're not that experienced,
                      bicycling can be pretty risky. I started riding in a
                      big way when I was around twelve, and rapidly had quite
                      a number of the classic accidents (lots of slides on
                      slippery pavement, thrown off my bike by railroad tracks,
                      over the handlebars in several stupid ways). It's not
                      an easy education, and the people designing the roads
                      often haven't got a clue about how to make cycling less
                      risky. ]

                      In the short run, we don't have much choice -- too many
                      people are playing the drive-a-lot-not-too-responsibly
                      game, which leads them to buy larger and larger cars, and
                      not bicycle riding. I think that there are several things
                      that are likely to change the game for us;

                      - we'll definitely, unarguably, hit peak oil
                      - we'll definitely, unarguably, see the effects of global
                      warming In either case, this will change the landscape, in
                      terms of investment, etc. Imagine telling people that you
                      want to plow their neighborhood under for a new highway,
                      when everyone can see that cars are going to very soon be
                      much more expensive to drive. If you can solve a traffic
                      problem by waitinng five years, why bothering building a
                      road?

                      - drive-by-wire will get really good
                      Automated driving will not happen for a good
                      long time, until it happens really well. For
                      liability reasons, no way will any company deploy
                      it, until it works rock-solid. However the heck
                      it works, there will surely be some way to tickle
                      it to say "don't you dare run into me", and
                      whatever that thing is will spread like wildfire
                      through the regular cycling community (much as
                      flashing high-intensity LEDs spread -- you see
                      one, you want it, now)

                      - Health, maybe.
                      I'm not too optimistic about this. As a nation,
                      our health care SUCKS. We spend tons of money (30%
                      more than #2, 40% more than #3, is the general
                      pattern) and we die YEARS early after spending a
                      greater fraction of our life sick. It's very very
                      likely that this is a combined result of our
                      boneheaded system for delivering health care, PLUS
                      the fact that we're all FAT. (Other effects might
                      be that we don't consume enough olive oil, fish,
                      red wine, and tea.) I'm on the trailing edge of the
                      baby boom, so I would have expected to see other
                      people already doing things to fix their weight,
                      blood pressure, cholesterol, etc, and one of the
                      most time- and cost-effective things to do is to
                      ride a bike. It hasn't happened yet, at least not
                      in a way that I can see. I do think, if we ended
                      up with a national health care system, that it would
                      then make sense to the people running it to encourage
                      people to get more exercise.

                      In terms of explaining to other people why I ride
                      my bicycle, I find that it is easier to say "it
                      is very good for my health, in ways that can be
                      measured with a blood test" (and it is -- its value
                      in medication avoid exceeds the cost of the gasoline
                      saved by a factor of five to ten), than to say
                      "I think cars are inherently antisocial, especially
                      the way we use them" or "I'd like to send as little
                      money as possible to actual Islamofascists (i.e.,
                      Saudi Arabia)", or "I think our foreign policy is
                      completely screwed by our dependence on oil", or
                      "I'm pretty sure global warming is happening, and
                      I'd like to do something about it".

                      No, most people understand self-interest, as near
                      as I can tell. Talk about that other stuff, they
                      think you're a weirdo.

                      The neat thing will be when we're running diesels
                      on vegetable oil, we can then make head-to-head
                      efficiency comparisons. The other other reason to
                      ride a bike, is that we get about 1000 miles per
                      gallon. It's the most way efficient to move
                      people that there is -- how cool is that? (That's
                      like 50 people carpooling in a 20mpg car.)

                      So, to return to your original point about "taking
                      risks" -- no, I hate that part, if I could eliminate
                      all the risk in riding my bike, that would be great.
                      However, to compensate for that risk, is the risk of
                      not getting enough exercise, and all the politcal and
                      environmental stuff. I don't like it that I'm contributing
                      to global warming, I don't like it that I'm sending money
                      to Saudi Arabia and Iran and Russia (Putin gives me
                      the creeps).

                      David
                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 7, 2007
                        Amen!

                        Unfortunately, most folks already think I'm a weirdo just because I'm on
                        a bike when I could be on a motorbike or in a car. At least one person
                        has asked "Why are you torturing yourself?" Well, most of the time I
                        don't quite see it that way...

                        Health, planet, politics, oil -- all to the good.

                        A member of the Christian Peacemaker Team reported on being asked how to
                        help solve the problems in Iraq. The answer was 'Ride your bike.'

                        Meanwhile, the former Shah of Iran said 'Oil is too valuable to burn.'
                        He's right. We need it more for medicine and fertilizers and water
                        bottles (i.e. tools & containers), than we need it for transportation.

                        CL

                        Cara Lin Bridgman

                        P.O. Box 013 Phone: 886-4-2632-5484
                        Longjing Sinjhuang
                        Taichung 434
                        Taiwan http://web.thu.edu.tw/caralinb/www/
                      • Susan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 16, 2007
                          About the zillionth time I caught myself actually answering falsely
                          because I knew the person asking really wouldn't identify with my
                          answer, I decided that I was doing a real disservice. Why not
                          challenge that idea that it's okay to be self-serving? And if fifty
                          people a day do it, maybe they'll start thinking *they're* the weird
                          ones.
                          I do emphasize that it is not painful and it is not torture, and
                          that I started out with just a little bit and figured even a little
                          bit was a good thing... and generally people think I'm an insanely
                          happy person so they are a little jealous. I know I've made people think.

                          --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...>
                          wrote:

> [...]
                          > > on vegetable oil, we can then make head-to-head
                          > > efficiency comparisons. The other other reason to
                          > > ride a bike, is that we get about 1000 miles per
                          > > gallon. It's the most way efficient to move
                          > > people that there is -- how cool is that? (That's
                          > > like 50 people carpooling in a 20mpg car.)
                          > >
                          > > So, to return to your original point about "taking
                          > > risks" -- no, I hate that part, if I could eliminate
                          > > all the risk in riding my bike, that would be great.
                          > > However, to compensate for that risk, is the risk of
                          > > not getting enough exercise, and all the politcal and
                          > > environmental stuff. I don't like it that I'm contributing
                          > > to global warming, I don't like it that I'm sending money
                          > > to Saudi Arabia and Iran and Russia (Putin gives me
                          > > the creeps).
                          > >
                          > > David
                          > >

                          > > You're getting this message because you signed up to be an
                          Xtracycle roots radical.