Folding wideloader

  • adamwhatley
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2008
      I've been pondering for weeks how to engineer a wideloader that could
      fold up. I'm using the Kickback, which makes it a total pain to remove
      the wideloaders. Currently I leave one wideloader on and one off;
      otherwise, I can't get through doors.
      I'm considering building a clevis linkage that would allow the
      wideloader to articulate?
      Anyone done this or have suggestions?
    • Brian Laplander
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
        There were some pictures on the net recently of a a gary fisher utility bike and it had folding wide loader type things on it. After seeing it I considered making some but never got around to it,  I have a set of folding motorcycle foot pegs I was thinking of modifying to use as a hinge. maybe someday
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
          Just saw this in a random search for "clevis" in Google Images.

          http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PR-Hydro_Steering/Wolfs/DCP_7480.JPG

          This idea sound reasonable enough. I'd imagine challenges could include:

          1) maintaining structural integrity of the V-Rack and Wide-loader tubing
          2) How to prevent the WideLoader from moving past horizontal when rotating down from
          vertical.

          Good luck! I thought of this idea a while ago, too, but don't have the time, knowledge, or
          resources to pull it off. My hat's off to anyone who can.

          -Phil

          P.S. Not riding much. Been sick. Now conditions are horrid w/low temps, high winds, and
          LOTS of rutted, icy roads. I need to get out and work my legs!

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
            So here's plan A:

            get two dowels of appropriate thickness, enough to stick through the
            freeradical and an extra inch on each end.

            get two wideloaders.

            insert wideloaders normally, mark where they enter the frame.

            Saw wideloaders off at the mark.

            using coarse sandpaper, roughen the inside of the wideloader tubes you
            just cut off.

            Fill the end of the tube (2-3 inches deep) with glass-filled epoxy.
            That is, put on some gloves, get some fiberglass mat, soak it in epoxy/
            polyester resin, roll it up, shove it in the end of the wideloader,
            arrange the wideloader so that the end is plugged (cannot leak), end
            positioned down, so that the resin will accumulate at the opening.
            Allow to cure.

            Then, cut a slot in the reinforced tube end, and shape the end of the
            dowel so it fits in the slot. Align then, drill a hole, and put a pin
            in it.

            Someone should try this and let me know how it works out :-). The
            most delicate part is cutting the slot in the end of the wideloaders;
            it has to be carefully aligned so that the wideloader hinges nicely.
            The dowel is intended to be cheap and semi-disposable.

            Plan A.5, is to save the cut-off ends of the wideloaders, and glue a
            short solid rod in them (say, aluminum, or just use fiberglass, this
            time sticking out) instead of the dowel.
          • Mark Garvey
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
              On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:32 AM, Phil Good-Elliott

              P.S. Not riding much. Been sick. Now conditions are horrid w/low temps, high winds, and
              LOTS of rutted, icy roads. I need to get out and work my legs!

              Me too!  I have to get out and ride if possible, but then, from the first snowfall until the weather gets up above 30 or so, I tend to "Veg!"  this year I Lucked? out.  a friend wanted to unload an old E-250 van.  AKA Big Mo.  so I will, as I often do in the iowa winter, drive a rust bucket while the weather sucks, and get back on my bike when the weather moderates.

              This isn't so bad, because I take a truck or car that would be junked and use it until it can't be used any more.  My cost is WAY low and I have utility too!  I can haul bikes, motorcycles, furniature and about anything else!  Also, I don't freeze my Tuckus off while commuting to work!

              EVERY MONDAY last January and February we had an ice storm, snow storm and or high winds and below zero temps.  that is at least 8, maybe 9 weeks in a row!  don';t know about you guys, but i won't ride a bicycle on ice, at least not very far, and below zero sucks.  there is simply no other way to describe it!  So call me a weenie if you want, but I will drive for a while.  Can't WAIT for spring!!!

              Papa Balloon
              "I just like to blow things up!"

              Papa Balloon
            • Carl Ray
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 20, 2008
                Dude,

                I do not have a kick back, but I understand where you are coming from. A clevis linkage piece would be cool. You should use machined steel or titanium material. Machining and titanium is pricey I would imagine. How about the couplers like they put on bikes to make them folders. See Bilenky bikes... using S&S couplers if the cam in the tube diameters of the wide loaders there maybe, don't know.

                Carl

                --
                Carl

                http://xtracycle.blogspot.com

                "Our planes and automobiles have made it possible for us to go anywhere and see nothing, but our simpler, slower means of conveyance, our feet and our bicycles and wind-powered boats, still connect us to this earth that is not ours to master, but to treasure."

                Kent Peterson
                http://kentsbike.blogspot.com/

              • Randy Diefenthal
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 22, 2008
                  Another option would be to put hidden barrel hinges inside the tubes.  I'm not sure how strong these things are, of if they're made for something other than kitchen cabinets, but they would be a good solution if you want to maintain the "stock" look of the wideloader and just want to fold it out of the way when you aren't using it.

                  http://www.ahturf.com/product_images/1/5/8/0/5/15805.jpg

                  Randy

                • rwieneke@swbell.net
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 14, 2012
                    I built a folding WideLoader. You can look at it on the following links. It is also in the photo section here at rootsradical. I'm using the stock kickstand. Don't know if I'm going to go to a centerstand. If I do it won't be the Kickback.

                    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3020366720117.208559.1591144066&type=3

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjd5LG5xomM

                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7sGH1dbb84

                    you might have to copy and paste to your browse address bar. Good luck.

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "adamwhatley" <adamwhatley@...> wrote:

                    > I've been pondering for weeks how to engineer a wideloader that could
                    > fold up. I'm using the Kickback, which makes it a total pain to remove
                    > the wideloaders. Currently I leave one wideloader on and one off;
                    > otherwise, I can't get through doors.
                    > I'm considering building a clevis linkage that would allow the
                    > wideloader to articulate?
                    > Anyone done this or have suggestions?

                  • Andrew Kreps
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012
                      On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 21:44, rwieneke@... <catrike@...> wrote:
                      I built a folding WideLoader. You can look at it on the following links. It is also in the photo section here at rootsradical. I'm using the stock kickstand. Don't know if I'm going to go to a centerstand. If I do it won't be the Kickback.

                      Wow, thank you so much for all of the photos, and especially for the part numbers!  I have to say, you've put the 'wide' back in wideloader.  That thing would be interesting to navigate on my typical routes.  :)

                    • Philip X. Diaz
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 15, 2012
                        nice build! very well done.

                        also, thanks for including the part #s. I've been searching for good hardware to use for xtracycle accessories, and these are perfect.

                        Philip

                        On Feb 15, 2012 5:49 AM, "rwieneke@..." <catrike@...> wrote:

                        I built a folding WideLoader. You can look at it on the following links. It is also in the photo section here at rootsradical. I'm using the stock kickstand. Don't know if I'm going to go to a centerstand. If I do it won't be the Kickback.

                        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3020366720117.208559.1591144066&type=3

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjd5LG5xomM

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7sGH1dbb84

                        you might have to copy and paste to your browse address bar. Good luck.

                        --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "adamwhatley" <adamwhatley@...> wrote:

                        > I've been pondering for weeks how to engineer a wideloader that could
                        > fold up. I'm using the Kickback, which makes it a total pain to remove
                        > the wideloaders. Currently I leave one wideloader on and one off;
                        > otherwise, I can't get through doors.
                        > I'm considering building a clevis linkage that would allow the
                        > wideloader to articulate?
                        > Anyone done this or have suggestions?

                      • rlwieneke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 16, 2012