Re: [rootsradicals] Re: wide loaders(?)

  • Ben Rosenthal
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
      Suppose you revised the design of the WideLoader sling to use quick-
      release buckles at the two wrap points closes to the bike. Might it
      then be quite simple to lift the sling when the H-rack is folded up?
      In such case, could the sling even act as a detached rain flap?
      Depends on whether the hinges produce a vertical fold or a beyond
      vertical fold.

      Also, how would the folding WideLoader lock in its folded position?
      As I don't have a WideLoader of my own yet, I can only envision the
      one pictured in your store in the positions I'm describing. Don't
      worry; this is fun for me, but a challenge nonetheless.

      Looking forward to hearing about your other ideas.

      - Ben

      On 5 Jan 2007, at 16:24, Kipchoge Spencer wrote:

      > Hey ian,
      >
      > No drawings, just a couple of prototypes. They are essentially h-
      > racks with machined aluminum hinge that only opens one way, to stop
      > overextension.
      >
      > The thing that hasn't been adequately thought out is how to retain
      > FreeLoader capacity when the WideLoader (w/ sliing) is folded up,
      > simply.
      >
      > Happy new year to all.
      >
      > kipchoge
    • Devian Gilbert
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2007
        Nice!

        it was a no brainer, once i relized that they should fold up. the first thought was a lawn chair.
        the hinges?
        uhhh....
        ya...it seems that they should be steel. something super strong. and actually i think a design that makes the wide loaders not exactly parallel to the ground.
        this would give the wide loaders a bit of a upward angle which would
        a. encourage the load(s) to slide to the center of the bike.
        b. allow for more clearance when cornering.
        c. allow for wear = bending. being that the "hinge" would be taking a lot of pressure and abuse, it would be inevetable that at some point the wide loaders would start to "droop" which would actually be the hinge starting to wear. so by having the hinge angle the wide loader a bit upward all these points would be addressed.

        ride bikes

        On Friday, January 05, 2007, at 01:33PM, "Kipchoge Spencer" <kipchoge@...> wrote:
        >Hey ian,
        >
        >No drawings, just a couple of prototypes. They are essentially h-racks with
        >machined aluminum hinge that only opens one way, to stop overextension.
        >
        >The thing that hasn't been adequately thought out is how to retain
        >FreeLoader capacity when the WideLoader (w/ sliing) is folded up, simply.
        >
        >Happy new year to all.
        >
        >kipchoge
        >
        >--
        >Kipchoge Spencer
        >
        >29085 Highway 49
        >North San Juan CA 95960
        >530/292-1401
        >www.pleasantrevolution.net

      • Phil Good-Elliott
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2007
          So, how about some kind of "bolt" or internal shaft that would be "shot" into place one the
          wings are folded down into cargo mode? This might (?) help with weight bearing and less
          abuse to the hinge.

          just some random thoughts,
          Phil