Stokemonkey

  • larryu81
    Message 1 of 32 , Dec 14, 2008
      I just got mine installed. The owner of the newest bike shop here
      (www.wvcompanybicycle.com) has a degree in Mechanical Engineering
      Technology, so I let him install it. He was pretty excited about it.

      As you know, one of the problems of being car-free here in Charleston,
      WV is the fact that we are not called "the Mountain State" for no
      reason. Charleston is basically in the bottom of what is practically
      a canyon. On 'the Flats', cycling is wonderful, but we have some very
      challenging hills even for a trained athlete on a high-end machine,
      much less an ordinary person. We have some long, shallow hills, and
      some short steep hills--and some long, steep hills.

      So far, the SM seems to have done best on the long, shallow hills. On
      the really steep hills the extra weight seems to negate the extra
      power.

      This PM I took it up to some friends who live on the very top of
      Viewmont (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38.375823,-
      81.64758&spn=0.032231,0.052786&t=p&z=14). I must say that I made it
      up there without having to get off and push the bike, but I was still
      puffing and panting. I have some other friends who live on Summit,
      even higher, but I wasn't about to try it; perhaps later.

      Later I'm going to try Greenbrier or Montrose--both very long, fairly
      shallow slopes, or Corridor G, one of the major commercial
      thoroughfares, which is also very long, not very steep, but uphill all
      the way.
    • soappedaler
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 24, 2010
        I'm going to order the Stokemonkey next week and once I get used to it I'm going to start investigating the solarfication. This week my thoughts are which battery and new handlebars. I have H bars on the dummy now and they won't accommodate the throttle and display.