Car free living

  • matt7john
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2007
      We've talked before on this forum about how high gas prices would have
      to climb before large numbers of people begin biking to work. I think
      someone even had a chart that said $4 a gallon would prompt large
      numbers of converts. Here's a German town where $6 a gallon gas has
      nearly everyone biking.
      http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1220/p01s03-woeu.html
    • Michael Lemberger
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 4, 2007
        On Jan 3, matt7john wrote:

        > We've talked before on this forum about how high gas prices would
        > have to climb before large numbers of people begin biking to work.
        > I think
        > someone even had a chart that said $4 a gallon would prompt large
        > numbers of converts. Here's a German town where $6 a gallon gas has
        > nearly everyone biking.
        >> http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1220/p01s03-woeu.html

        Great article, but it clearly outlines a whole raft of design
        philosophy and incentives in addition to high fuel prices that
        contributed to what Vauban has become. The money quote:

        "In 1998, Freiburg bought land from the German government and worked
        with Delleske's group to lay out a master plan for the area, keeping
        in mind the ecological, social, economic, and cultural goals of
        reducing energy levels while creating healthier air and a solid
        infrastructure for young families. Rather than handing the area to a
        real estate developer, the city let small homeowner cooperatives
        design and build their homes from scratch."

        Their land use and infrastructure were specifically designed to
        reduce dependance on cars. If we want to get away from a car-centric
        culture here in the US, it will take more than high fuel prices.
        Judging by the way the wind blows in contemporary urban design (as
        it's practiced formally and informally), I'd guess that 1974-style
        fuel shortages would be the most likely impetus for any sort of
        significant change in direction. I guess we'll see...

        Michael Lemberger
        Madison, WI
        sconnyboy.blogspot.com