Re: ?- rain cover with tent poles

  • Andy
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 8, 2008
      I believe the reply is in response to the video posted on:
      http://longwalktogreen.blogspot.com/
      (you have to read down a bit in the posting to see it)

      It is with "unfortunate and dubious honor" to say that this fellow is
      a rep from the state in which I live. Thank goodness, however, that
      he's not a rep from my district!

      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, murray <murrayneill@...> wrote:

      > I think you might have replied to the wrong thread there.... or I'm
      > missing something.
      >
      > 2008/12/8 Khalid Mateen <chalid2007@...>:
      > > That guy is an idiot and people actually voted for him. Rather
      than get some
      > > people off the use of using oil, he considers it stupid and we all
      should be
      > > in cars.
      > >
      > > K.
      > >
      > > ________________________________

    • charliewicker
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 8, 2008
        Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
        rain cover. I need to upload a photo (which is on my wife's computer)
        to properly explain what I did but a good start might be to describe
        it. Basically it's a flat rectangular piece of tent cloth with
        grommets in the corners. The shape wider and longer than the snapdeck
        for extra coverage. There are 4 nearly vertical tent poles, one per
        corner of the snapdeck area. The poles splay outward so when they
        bend/flex towards vertical, there is tension on the whole system. The
        attachments (which need a redesign) are wooden blocks with short stubs
        of tent pole material glued in such that they accept the tent poles.
        The wooden blocks are then zip tied to the vertical sections of the
        free loader frames. The pole interface points outward at ~20 degrees.
        I know... I really need photos and I'll get them shortly.

        btw, the design issue is that the wooden blocks rely upon a very tight
        zip tie and shift a bit in high winds. I plan on making this mount
        more robust & have a simple elegant way to do it but just haven't done
        it yet. When I do get photos, please control your laughter. This thing
        was designed and built inside of an hour. Surely it can be improved upon.
      • murray
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 8, 2008
          Thank you for clarifying that. I went and watched that video and would
          have to agree. I was just a little confused... one minute talking
          about rain -covers and the next some idiot ranting about "creating new
          energy" out of thin air (I can't make this stuff up!) He must have
          skipped science class in school.

        • Tone@moon-shine.net
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 8, 2008
            Charlie,

            I think I kind of grasp what you mean by your description. Instead of
            zip-ties have you considered using hose-clamps to attach the wood
            blocks? I would image hose clamps would certainly help prevent
            slippage/rotation.

            I happen to have a tent pole bag a neighbor abandoned at our old
            place. When I read the other post asking about a rain guard with tent
            poles I thought about using my salvaged tent poles. I figured they
            would come in handy for some project.

            I do not know how long the tent poles you are using are, but after
            hearing about the idea I was thinking it would not be too difficult to
            have two longer tent poles attached to either side of the V-racks. By
            this I mean one end of one tent pole would be attached to the rear
            V-rack on the gear-side of the xtracycle, then it would be bent/flexed
            forward so its other end would be attached to the front V-rack also on
            the gear-side. The other tent pole would be attached similarly, but on
            the kick-stand side.

            The effect would be similar to the canopy of one of those old
            Wild-West Conestoga wagons, but instead of the support bars running
            perpendicular to the wagon's path the tent-pole-supports on the
            Xtracycle would run parallel to the bike's path. After the tent poles
            are secured in this position, only a cross bar/pole/dowel or two might
            be needed to keep the flexed tent-poles apart, then a tarp or sheet of
            tent fabric could be placed to cover it all up.

            From your experience, does that sound like it might work?
            _TONE_
          • Jennifer Logan
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 8, 2008
              Thank you for responding, and for the description.  I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

              ~Jennifer

              On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM, charliewicker <charliewicker@...> wrote:

              Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
              rain cover.

            • Jay & Liz
              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 9, 2008
                And we are the Bike Portland family with a tent pole rain cover on a Bike Friday Family
                Tandem. I created an album called "Rain Covers" and posted pictures there, and invite
                others, including our neighbor Charlie, to post there as well.

                We took it for a test ride the other night, in the "almost done" stage, and it rides pretty
                well. The bottom billows out a little, but I think that is easily fixable.

                More details later, if desired, but it's time for work/school.
                Liz

                --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" <domestikitty@...> wrote:

                > Thank you for responding, and for the description. I'm looking forward to
                > seeing the pictures!
                >
                > ~Jennifer
                >
                > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM, charliewicker <charliewicker@...>wrote:
                >
                > > Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
                > > rain cover.

              • charliewicker
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 9, 2008
                  I've posted the photos using Jay's nicely titled album, "rain covers" and can be found here .

                  After seeing Jay's and a few others I realize how mean I am as a parent ;)

                  Mine is comparatively minimalist. Keep in mind that this was a quick & dirty job that was completed and immediately used to roll in a storm. Note the tape instead of proper sewing. I plan on making some changes. Off the top of my head these would be:

                   - redesign the attachments. One poster recommended I use hose clamps. While this would work fine it's fighting the rotation issue with brute force. I'm thinking of instead using a single long piece of material with the connect tubes angling from that. This would allow more precise angles and never have an opportunity to slide or rotate. Plus installation would be simpler. And a bonus for the rear section is it would offer a place to put an "I share the road" bumper sticker.

                  - replace wood with weatherproof material. Wood is not reliable. I'd go for a bomber plastic resin

                  - Lower the total height (my kids have > 12" of clearance

                  - Change the overall profile to more effectively drain and provide some  side protection.

                  - Reinforce material where needed, add reflective elements and clear window sections

                  --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jay & Liz" <lizjay@...> wrote:

                  > And we are the Bike Portland family with a tent pole rain cover on a Bike Friday Family
                  > Tandem. I created an album called "Rain Covers" and posted pictures there, and invite
                  > others, including our neighbor Charlie, to post there as well.
                  >
                  > We took it for a test ride the other night, in the "almost done" stage, and it rides pretty
                  > well. The bottom billows out a little, but I think that is easily fixable.
                  >
                  > More details later, if desired, but it's time for work/school.
                  > Liz
                  >
                  > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" domestikitty@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thank you for responding, and for the description. I'm looking forward to
                  > > seeing the pictures!
                  > >
                  > > ~Jennifer
                  > >
                  > > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM, charliewicker charliewicker@wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
                  > > > rain cover.

                • Jennifer Logan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 9, 2008
                    Thank you both for your pictures.  And I would like to hear more details on yours, Liz.  I had been planning on using only clear vinyl and was wondering why you had used three layers (I was thinking about the rainproof-ness of seams), then on second look I noticed that condensation inside on the pic with the kids and realized it was a breathability issue.  Glad for that insight before I created a little sauna of our own!  :)

                    ~Jennifer

                    On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM, charliewicker <charliewicker@...> wrote:

                    I've posted the photos using Jay's nicely titled album, "rain covers" and can be found here .

                    After seeing Jay's and a few others I realize how mean I am as a parent ;)

                    Mine is comparatively minimalist. Keep in mind that this was a quick & dirty job that was completed and immediately used to roll in a storm. Note the tape instead of proper sewing. I plan on making some changes. Off the top of my head these would be:

                     - redesign the attachments. One poster recommended I use hose clamps. While this would work fine it's fighting the rotation issue with brute force. I'm thinking of instead using a single long piece of material with the connect tubes angling from that. This would allow more precise angles and never have an opportunity to slide or rotate. Plus installation would be simpler. And a bonus for the rear section is it would offer a place to put an "I share the road" bumper sticker.

                    - replace wood with weatherproof material. Wood is not reliable. I'd go for a bomber plastic resin

                    - Lower the total height (my kids have > 12" of clearance

                    - Change the overall profile to more effectively drain and provide some  side protection.

                    - Reinforce material where needed, add reflective elements and clear window sections

                    --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jay & Liz" <lizjay@...> wrote:

                    > And we are the Bike Portland family with a tent pole rain cover on a Bike Friday Family
                    > Tandem. I created an album called "Rain Covers" and posted pictures there, and invite
                    > others, including our neighbor Charlie, to post there as well.
                    >
                    > We took it for a test ride the other night, in the "almost done" stage, and it rides pretty
                    > well. The bottom billows out a little, but I think that is easily fixable.
                    >
                    > More details later, if desired, but it's time for work/school.
                    > Liz
                    >
                    > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" domestikitty@ wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for responding, and for the description. I'm looking forward to
                    > > seeing the pictures!
                    > >
                    > > ~Jennifer
                    > >
                    > > On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 8:57 AM, charliewicker charliewicker@wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Hi... I'm the mysterious poster on BikePortland who has the tent pole
                    > > > rain cover.

                  • Jay & Liz
                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 10, 2008
                      You could use just clear vinyl, I suppose, but we thought the bright colors would make the
                      bike more visible, and lighter than all vinyl. The colored fabric is ripstop nylon, and we'll
                      have to see how it does in the rain, assuming it ever rains in Portland this winter. It was
                      cheap enough where we figured we'd try it, and if it doesn't work we've at least got a
                      pattern to make it with a different fabric. Beware, the vinyl is a bear to sew with. We were
                      initially thinking of just having vinyl "windows" in a solid fabric, and then the idea
                      morphed into a whole panel of window.

                      We've got a lot of extra head clearance too, which is just how it worked out. Really, we
                      could have make it a lot shorter, but between wanting it to be usable as the kids grow,
                      and working on it at night when the kids were asleep, it ended up pretty tall. Of course,
                      the extra room probably makes it a little more comfortable for them, and does give some
                      ventilation. The condensation only happened when we stopped to get out the camera mid-
                      ride, I don't think there was much/any while we were actually moving.

                      In the front the tent poles poke into a block of wood that is held to the stoker handlebar
                      stem with a hose clamp, and in the back they poke into a piece of wood that is attached to
                      the child seat. Right now there is a rope threaded through the bottom of the orange all
                      the way around, though we're thinking we'll swap it out for some shock cord, and anchor
                      it better. The back of the yellow is currently closed with safety pins, but we're intending to
                      put velcro there. We are able to take it all apart and put it in a smaller sized pannier.

                      Well, I think that qualified as hearing more, Jennifer, and hopefully in a helpful way. Let us
                      know if you have more specific questions and Jay or I can try to answer them.

                      Liz

                      --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" <domestikitty@...> wrote:

                      > Thank you both for your pictures. And I would like to hear more details on
                      > yours, Liz. I had been planning on using only clear vinyl and was wondering
                      > why you had used three layers (I was thinking about the rainproof-ness of
                      > seams), then on second look I noticed that condensation inside on the pic
                      > with the kids and realized it was a breathability issue. Glad for that
                      > insight before I created a little sauna of our own! :)
                      >
                      > ~Jennifer
                      >
                      > On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:11 PM, charliewicker <charliewicker@...>wrote:
                      >
                      > > I've posted the photos using Jay's nicely titled album, "rain covers"
                      > > and can be found
                      here<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rootsradicals/photos/album/214154895/pic/9714
                      73809/view?picmode=large&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc>
                      > > .
                      > >
                      > > After seeing Jay's and a few others I realize how mean I am as a parent ;)
                      > >
                      > > Mine is comparatively minimalist. Keep in mind that this was a quick &
                      > > dirty job that was completed and immediately used to roll in a storm. Note
                      > > the tape instead of proper sewing. I plan on making some changes. Off the
                      > > top of my head these would be:
                      > >
                      > > - redesign the attachments. One poster recommended I use hose clamps.
                      > > While this would work fine it's fighting the rotation issue with brute
                      > > force. I'm thinking of instead using a single long piece of material with
                      > > the connect tubes angling from that. This would allow more precise angles
                      > > and never have an opportunity to slide or rotate. Plus installation would be
                      > > simpler. And a bonus for the rear section is it would offer a place to put
                      > > an "I share the road" bumper sticker.
                      > >
                      > > - replace wood with weatherproof material. Wood is not reliable. I'd go for
                      > > a bomber plastic resin
                      > >
                      > > - Lower the total height (my kids have > 12" of clearance
                      > >
                      > > - Change the overall profile to more effectively drain and provide some
                      > > side protection.
                      > >
                      > > - Reinforce material where needed, add reflective elements and clear window
                      > > sections
                      > >

                      > > --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jay & Liz" <lizjay@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > And we are the Bike Portland family with a tent pole rain cover on a Bike
                      > > Friday Family
                      > > > Tandem. I created an album called "Rain Covers" and posted pictures
                      > > there, and invite
                      > > > others, including our neighbor Charlie, to post there as well.
                      > > >
                      > > > We took it for a test ride the other night, in the "almost done" stage,
                      > > and it rides pretty
                      > > > well. The bottom billows out a little, but I think that is easily
                      > > fixable.
                      > > >
                      > > > More details later, if desired, but it's time for work/school.
                      > > > Liz

                    • Travers, Neil
                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 10, 2008
                        Message
                        > I realize how mean I am as a parent ;)
                        I don't know, it looks pretty good and much lower impact - it doesn't have the WTF is that impact and could be used in other situations (sun shade).

                      • Jay & Liz
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 10, 2008
                          I might add that the block attachment is inspired by Charlie.
                        • Jennifer Logan
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 10, 2008
                            Thanks Liz.  Definitely helpful.  I'll be interested to hear how it works in the rain.  I like the look of the panoramic view window.  I just need to get some tent poles and fabric and play around with it.  I was thinking of constructing it with the poles in an X.  Any particular reason you went with the shape you did?  (I'd be interested in hearing about any design decisions, including those that you tossed, and why).  Do you need a special needle or thread to sew the vinyl?  Thanks!

                            ~Jennifer

                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 12, 2008
                              THe Two pole design is largely because of space and physics. An x design would be
                              easiest to accomplish with the ends anchored at four different points. That's hard to do
                              suspended in the air with no solid anchor point. With longer poles you could do some sort
                              of x anchored at two points (on the bike) but it would make more of a rounded bubble,
                              and be pretty stressful on the poles. Hence the two pole sleeved design. I used to be the
                              buyer and outfitter for an outdoors school so I have seen my share of tents, this just
                              seemed like the way to do it. We had considered a single long pole and spreader idea that
                              might work well. I don't think Liz used anything special for the sewing.

                              --- In rootsradicals@yahoogroups.com, "Jennifer Logan" <domestikitty@...> wrote:

                              > Thanks Liz. Definitely helpful. I'll be interested to hear how it works in
                              > the rain. I like the look of the panoramic view window. I just need to get
                              > some tent poles and fabric and play around with it. I was thinking of
                              > constructing it with the poles in an X. Any particular reason you went with
                              > the shape you did? (I'd be interested in hearing about any design
                              > decisions, including those that you tossed, and why). Do you need a special
                              > needle or thread to sew the vinyl? Thanks!
                              >
                              > ~Jennifer
                              >
                              > On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 12:10 AM, Jay & Liz <lizjay@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Well, I think that qualified as hearing more, Jennifer, and hopefully in a
                              > > helpful way. Let us
                              > > know if you have more specific questions and Jay or I can try to answer
                              > > them.
                              > >

                              > > Liz
                              > >
                              > > .

                            • Jennifer Logan