Re: The Big Dummy/Nuvinci/eZee build

  • Morgan
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 6, 2008
      I'm lovin' those tires too - they roll and cushion better than I expected them to, but
      also do well in the gravel and grass. So far, their only downside is their weight,
      but on a bike like this, I can't really be much of a weight weenie (not with both
      the Nuvinci rear hub, eZee front hub, LiFePO4 battery, Longtail kit, myself,
      daughter, etc...)

      I see nobody answered about the reliability of the Nuvinci. I have only been using it
      for a few weeks so I cannot say from firsthand experience. However, in all my
      reading on the 'net, it sounds like they are highly reliable - possibly even moreso than the
      Rohloff (though they haven't been around as long, so getting good data on long
      term is hard). There is at least one person running one with a stokemonkey, and it
      has held up fine to the extra torque. And, they just feel very solidly built, reminding
      me of other great products like Phil Wood hubs and Chris King headsets.
      So, the tea leaves are positive for reliability, but, again, the proof of that won't
      come until 10 years hence we can see how many are still running.

      Morgan